Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2006, 12:13 PM   #61
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well I missed that for sure. The black very hot wire was connected to the right terminal of the right fuse block to the rear of the battery in the 3400. It went through the hole in the rear and into the under belly. When they dropped the belly it was fused to the hydraulic line. They must have been very close together and unsecured..That is not to say it is the same on your unit as it seems that there is no grand design in the wiring of these things. I did not drop my entire underbelly early on..I should have.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 12:38 PM   #62
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
It looks like I'll have another spring project on my hands after reading this thread.
Ozz had quite an adventure underneath as I recall and warned us of a considerable amount of tidying up that needed to be done.
This happening even after having it opened up should serve as a real lesson to us.

I hope you guys are all sorted now and can enjoy the rest of your trip.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 12:56 PM   #63
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Rich and Helen,
So glad you all are OK. It was smart of you two to shut everything down quickly.
Don found some loose wires on main battery cables in the panel. He checked all of them then and tightened them!
He is also going to remove the cover off bottom of Monty and check everything. In Spring.
Take care and hopefully everything will be better for you.
Dusty and Don
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 01:19 PM   #64
flyerone
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5263
Do they have such things as recalls on RV's? Is Keystone really going to rely on the fact that they haven't killed somebody, yet? This is really scary to me and I think that Keystone should take the time and money to inspect a unit for free. I am glad you guys are ok but this would freak me out, I would have a hard time feeling safe. Luckily my problems are just water leak issues.
flyerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 01:40 PM   #65
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
sreigle..."Because of this problem posted by Rich and Helen and JH Sechelt's post, I've calendared myself to crawl under and open the belly and do what I can to prevent a similar problem. I've calendered it for the first of January when we are in warmer weather and on a concrete pad. Hopefully we'll not have a problem enroute. I will check more accessible areas before we leave. Many thanks for bringing this problem to our attention. I think all of us are thankful that Helen and Rich caught this problem as early as they did, before getting hurt or losing their Montana and contents entirely."

I certainly agree, and will check my rig ASAP.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 02:40 PM   #66
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Rich and Helen - We are grateful that you two were not injured. This harrowing experience has many of us thinking differently about what we need to do regarding inspecting our Montys. We are still very excited about our new 2980 but just will be a little more cautious now. We are leaving Michigan in about three weeks for Texas and Arizona and will start the inspection process while in warmer weather. Hope you can now have a great holiday season and start enjoying life in your Monty again - Jim and Carol
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 03:49 PM   #67
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Rich and Helen,

Thank God you are both ok! I am so glad you caught this in time to keep the unit from going up in flames and possibly hurting either of you. After reading through all of these pages I wonder if this wire issue has anything to do with all of the converter problems some of us have had with our units. It seems like a lot of people have had to replace their converterswithin the first two years of purchase. I may only have 2005 mountaineer travel trailer but I have often wondered about some of the wiring myself.
Merry Christmas
Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 04:55 PM   #68
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Phil, I doubt it, they are fused and protected with breakers. That isolates any, (Most) voltage issues with them.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 05:41 PM   #69
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Note that our converter did not fry..The breaker tripped and all the GFI's were tripped.The repair guys were sure the converter was fried. They were looking for it and would not believe me when I told them where it was in the 3400.. I actually had to call OZZ and let him tell them that..yes that is where it was..they were astounded.. Helen and I are better...went out tonite and ....well..we got fried.. Troubles....what troubles....
Old 12-19-2006, 05:51 PM   #70
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
richfaa,

I've been folowing the saga and I'm glad you guys are OK and the issues seem to be fixed. I hope the rest of your winter travels are free from Monty problems. Enjoy your retirement!!
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 01:51 AM   #71
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
It is a shame that no matter how much you "PDI" that these problems, small and severe, come up at the most inconvenient times and the customer has to deal with getting the resolution to the problem. Just be happy, if that is possible, that it is under warranty. Some of my concerns are dealt with a deaf ear.
I am glad that this problem did not occur while you were asleep, as you and I talked about emergency exits months ago, you might have had to try that avenue of exit out. This is a good time for all to check your smoke detectors to make sure they are in working order and the batteries are new.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 03:48 AM   #72
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
To all members that have not been in the belly of the beast be ready to be astounded by what a mess you'll find! Tail light wires, three different tanks with there level indicating wires, hydraulic hoses, LP copper tubing, brake wires, water line. It is quite the Sproul. Plan on at least 10 packs of 1/2" and 1/4" each wire loom wrap, zip ties, black tape. It was not a fun three days but after reading about your near tragic accident I hope it will not happen to me! My wife and kids ALWAYS tell me " Dad If it's not broken don't fix it" well I never lesson. SeeYa
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 04:59 AM   #73
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
I am so sorry, I am getting in on this post a day late and a dollar short so to speak. First I am really happy that Rich and Helen are unharmed. When I had lunch with OZZ, Sue Steve and Vickie a few month's ago, OZZ warned me about the underbelly and wiring... I guess I should have heeded that warning, now I have to wait for decent weather here in Kansas to take on the task of the underbelly. I checked with our location in RGV where it is a lot warmer and have been told, they only allow routine maintenance, I couldn't drop the belly cover down there. I think if everyone got on the BAND WAGON and required the dealers to drop the belly cover for inspection and PDI. This wiring problem would be taken care of at the factory. Here you are all dressed up for the occassion of picking up your brand new beautiful MONTANA and you have to crawl under the thing to inspect the wiring along with the dealer.... Not condusive to signing on the bottom line is it???? I was hoping that RICH AND HELEN have taken PICTURE'S and I would suggest that everyone having any problems of this magnatude take pictures and document these incidents, one never knows when they will be NEEDED!!!!! Now you know why I always end with, SAFE TRAVELS.... John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 05:00 AM   #74
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Being a one time "safety officer" and OSHA inspector and working in Aviation we are very safety oriented. We do check smoke detectors on a regular basis.However the bedroom exit would be very difficut to use and I have got the feeling these things would go up in a short time not to mention the toxic fumes generated by the interior materials..Have never seen stats on any of that.I think that our training ( shut the power down when you smell or see smoke) paid off.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:09 AM   #75
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There were many pictures taken by the dealer and sent off to Keystone. We will try to get copies from the dealer..thanks John. Did a google on the flash point of Hydraulic fluid.. Looks like it depends on quality ..I note figures of between 210/410 F..That is not very much Perhaps some of our fire fighters know more about that???
Old 12-20-2006, 05:14 AM   #76
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
That is typical (fast acting FAA) in action!!!!!!! Got me down a few time's safely, when flying the police chopper. I guess all your training and experience paid off!!!! Glad you and Helen made it OK, Buddy. have a nice blended one on me. HOPE TO SEE YOU IN BRANSON!!!!!!!
Safe Travels John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 07:21 AM   #77
krvk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3191
As everyone else has said "glad you two were not injured". I will be showing the wife how to shut things down in case I am away from the rig, also will do the inspection. Hope to meet you & Helen when we are in Apache Junction (Jan/Feb). Thanks for keeping everyone posted on this issue. I believe Keystone should do a recall on the frame issue as well.
krvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 08:14 AM   #78
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
GLAD YOU ARE OK!!

Can you tell me or us where to look [picts] so we can check this
out our-selfs....are you saying that we need to take down the belly cover the whole length of the montana?

loose wires and "chafeing" causes this?

Thanks ahead of time.
cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 12:12 PM   #79
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Hi Richfaa, I agree with mpl897...would really like to know exactly the failure event.
Thanks,
Chuck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 01:19 PM   #80
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Mpl897,

That's pretty much the story, One one hand you have Rich's story, on the other hand, how many (10's of thousands) or more Rv's are there out there that haven't had a problem with wires shorting out underneath. I had one wire get pinched, but it blew the fuse. If you reach up in the little openings where the rear stabilizers attach to the frame there is two, three, or four loose wires floating around in there.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote