Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2017, 11:16 AM   #1
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
On Demand Hot Water Heaters

Own a 2007 3400RL that has had very light use, about to get more since my retirement at the end of 2016. Done a lot to upgrade in the last six months-new flat screen TV's, automatic awning, rooftop DISH satellite, replaced axles, wheels, and tires to G614's, disc brakes, had peeling (again) front cap decals removed and had front cap repainted. Unit looks like new. Added a small chest freezer (A/C) as we are stuck with the size of the OEM fridge. Upgraded batteries to 2 AGM 12 volt in parallel. Going to have Level Up installed in the next month. Have been reading more and more about the on-demand hot water heaters. We upgraded our stick house to a natural gas on-demand when the original one went out a few years ago. At that time everyone told me the gas versions were good, but to stay away from the electric on-demand. Where is the RV industry today? Anyone upgraded their OEM water heater to an on-demand? We never boondock, only camp with full hookups.

drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:09 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
About a year ago our water heater started leaking due to a cracked tank. It is a 12 gallon Suburban. Before ordering a new one, I researched info on a thankless Suburban replacement because it would fit the opening perfectly. After spending much time reading all the info including the installation and owner's manuals, I discovered that annual maintenance was required and that needed full access to the rear of the unit. That made my decision to go back with the original model much easier. Hopefully you are able to come up with a solution that fits your needs. We fulltime and have gotten used to the tank style water heater, working gas or electric as needed or at times using both.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:27 AM   #3
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
If your intension is to upgrade for increased capacity I would look at the Atwood
GE16-ET will yield 16 Gal of Hot Water!
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:30 PM   #4
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
We have an on demand hot water system in our Montana. We also had one in our old rig so when we got the new one we had a new system installed in it. If I remember correctly, it is by Girard. We live in it full time and have cold winters and the winterization feature ensured we did not have any problems.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 05:36 PM   #5
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
I've looked into the on-demand ones several times over the years. The issue with electric vs. propane is the way they work. Water coming in can only be raised in temperature so much by whatever heating method is used and propane can raise it a lot more and quicker than electric. They are much more efficient though. I'm not aware of the maintenance requirement, but if that's a hard one, I don't know how they could be selling the things.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:07 PM   #6
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
We have friends with an up scale motor home. They have on demand hot water/heat. Runs off either AC or diesel...understand it's pretty high dollar.

http://www.aquahot.com/Default.aspx
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote