Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2012, 12:22 PM   #1
sfretts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8573
Camping in Lake Tahoe

We are scaling back vacation plans just in case fuel stays this high ($4.59) for diesel in WA state. I was looking at the Tahoe area and find slim pickens for RV parks. Have stayed at the KOA but at $90.00 a night depending on your rig, I think not! Any ideas on a nice park in the area?

Thanks

sfretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:47 PM   #2
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
There's not much at Tahoe but if you don't mind the 60 mile drive, there is the KOA in Placerville, Ca. There's a lot to see around there.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:07 PM   #3
johnp4191
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6664
I toured several of the state parks around Lake Tahoe, looking at the sites to see if they would be big enough and I wasn't sure I would be willing to pull our 2880, which is 31' into any of the parks. The roads were narrow and the sites were very tight. Good luck with finding a place! I love Lake Tahoe!

Judi
johnp4191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:51 PM   #4
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
I have never stayed in this park but have other Encore parks. Price seems right.

http://www.rvonthego.com/Tahoe-valley-rv-resort.html
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:58 PM   #5
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We have stayed at Tahoe Valley and the only concerns were the dirt and lack of Internet. Since we have our own Inet, I guess the only concern was the dirt...We're from Reno.

Oh, MAKE SURE YOU DRIVE THRU THE MIDDLE OF BOTH LANES WHEN GOING THROUGH CAVE ROCK TUNNEL if coming from the Nevada side - otherwise you may peel your roof off!!!
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:16 PM   #6
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Mike, Is Cave Rock Tunnel on Hwy 50? We will be heading to Dixon CA from the Nevada side in May. In my truck Atlas it is warned of a low bridge on Hwy 50. Now the plan is to go a little north of Reno and take the interstate over to he Sacremento area.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:34 PM   #7
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
George,

Yes, Cave Rock is on hwy 50 heading from Carson to South Shore. We have used the tunnel many times. When there is heavy traffic, I just pull to the edge of the road (I'm still in it) about a 1/4 mile from the entrance. When there is nobody behind me I drive right down the middle. Semi's can get thru in the middle so you should be okay.

Here's a picture from the north, heading south to South Shore...By the way, we're 13'3"...

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:37 AM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Steve and Lori,
You may want to go on over the hill into the Carson City area. It is just a short drive up the mountain to visit the Tahoe area and there are several RV parks. We've stayed at the Silver City RV park (I think that is the name). Much more reasonable $$ compared to KOA! Just a thought. I know the price of fuel is making us think more about our travels too. This summer we will be headed up your direction. Our daughter and family recently moved to the south Seattle area. Would you know of any reasonable places to stay in that vicinity? Good luck and enjoy your trip. Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:45 AM   #9
sfretts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8573
Thanks for all the info. Always great to get the 'inside scoop' on RVing. Hamred, what area would you prefer to stay in up here. There is a nice park north of Seattle, a nice park east in the foot hills and a couple south. Not much in the metro south area except a very pricey KOA. Let me know and I can get you a couple of ideas.
sfretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:40 AM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I stayed in that pricey KOA near Carson City many years ago in a tent trailer. The hot weather was VERY uncomfortable and it was a new park at the time so none of the newly planted trees provided any shade. But since we were in a tent trailer we were able to drive to a campground near Lake Tahoe. My recollection is that the Lake Tahoe campground didn't have many large RVs or trailers in it. If you look for a place in the area, make sure it accommodates your rig.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:54 AM   #11
Tfthorp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8571
We stayed several years ago in a city park in South Lake Tahoe it was good. Right across from the lake guess we got lucky didn't have any reservations in mid June.
Tfthorp is offline   Reply With Quote