Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2008, 09:12 AM   #1
Sisarsky

M.O.C. #5475
installing a chest freezer

We are going to install a chest freezer in our 2980RL in place of a washer/dryer in the bedroom. Thinking of installing a power inverter to provide 115 AC when we are not hooked up to shore power. Would like some advice on the installation of an inverter and if anybody has had experience with installing a freezer in their rig.

Sisarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:42 AM   #2
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
When we go to Yuma for the winter we take a 5ft chest freezer and just put it between the chairs. We also took it to Alaska. If you do not open it too much stays cold for a couple of days without power. I looked at w/d space but was concered about being able to raise lid!!
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:59 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Unless you get a monster Inverter, and a load of powerful batteries, I'm fairly sure it will not start the freezer. The refrigeration units will momentarily pull up to seven times running amps when starting.
We put a chest freezer in our Monte, but only run it on line voltage. Barkman is right on, about the freezer staying cold.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:29 AM   #4
rob143

M.O.C. #8370
I would think you're going to find yourself killing batteries very quickly running a chest freezer.
rob143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:27 AM   #5
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I ditto what Ozz and Rob143 said. Might be a little too hard on the batteries/inverter trying to give enough amps for when that compressor kicks in. I think that having a freezer is still a good idea, though. Just use on line power though.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:55 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have a chest freezer in the 3400. We can run 8 /10 hours and the temp will only rise 3 or 4 degrees. It usually is at @ 0 degrees when on A/C and at the end of the day it may be at 4 0r 5 degrees. If you are going to boondock without power I wouod suggest a generator.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:13 PM   #7
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Would someone explain why you would need a chest freezer in a RV?
I am thinking most of the time it is two people.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:14 PM   #8
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
I have carried a freezer in my unit for years. When we went to Alaska I bought another one at Sears, 7.0 c.f., put it in the washer/dryer closet. I had a generator with me on that trip, other than that just run it on A.C. at campgrounds. When traveling the temp. stays around 10 degrees. I have an upright not a chest, it works better for more storage. I built a stand to sit it on in the closet, that gives me storage underneath the freezer and storage on top.
I also cut a vent through the wall at the ceiling into the bathroom to allow additional ventilation in the closet and also use the bathroom vent to allow hot air to exit the unit.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:35 PM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Alaska! Chest Freezer!
Just throw the food on the ground and thaw it out when you want it.

Sorry Icehouse! Just could not resist.

Rvfirefighter - did you use an inverter of just generator or shore power?
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:36 PM   #10
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
kdeiss,

I asked that question once, answer: Fishing, catch, freeze, take home, or fresh game, freeze, take home, etc.

Some of the gals apparently buy fresh fruit while in season, and make freezer jam, or just freeze.

If you find a good deal on something you can fill er up.

saves trips to the grocery store?? altho, that does not work for us, as we run out of fresh fruit and other stuff and never save the trips anyway.

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:57 PM   #11
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
I am an avid fisherman. I fish just about everywhere we go. I also love to eat fish, so I keep alot of fish.
When we went to Alaska, I filled 2 freezers with fillets of salmon, halibut, and ling cod. I do alot of fishing in Fl. and being a fulltimer, I need a freezer. I got rid of the smaller freezer when we got back from Alaska.
I used a generator on the trip to Alaska, but other than that trip I use power at a campground. In Alaska we did alot of boondocking and the electricity at alot of campgrounds was weak, the generator was a better power source. I didn't carry a big generator, just a suitcase 3000 Kipor.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 02:32 PM   #12
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Sisarsky

Dave Anderson has such a setup. Unfortunately he does not get on and post too often. You might go to the "MEMBERS" and do a search for his user name. It is Dave Anderson. Then try emailing him with any questions. I've seen his system and it is nice. He even has a solar system that will run it.

I will be seeing Dave in a few days and will tell him about this thread.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 07:26 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
sasarsky... Good to see you on the forum.We do remember you guys from Mouse Mountain..Did the Apollo hold up?? You done a good job it tearing it apart.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 06:42 PM   #14
Dave Anderson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1654
I'M surprised to hear some of our "older" MOCERs blowing off the top of thier heads and Not knowing what thier talking about (ozz) We have a5 cu. ft freezer that has the same footprint as a washer/ drier and fit s in that cabinet. there nare several considerations here 1 how many batteries do you have? do you have a genset to recover them ? do you boondock much? Our freezer run off a 1000watt inverter(small) while also running our TV !! these new freezers are so efficant that there is very little surge, and use only 8.5 or 9 amps while they are running, they are well insulated, so they dont run a great deal of the time. while driveing, the inverter will contiue to effectivly run your freezer with no discharge of your batteries. this our 2nd freezer and wouldnt boondock without one.(bringing back that Halibut from AK. is great!!!! Dave
Dave Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 06:59 PM   #15
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
What model is your freezer?
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 01:59 AM   #16
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Well Dave, I would have to see the freezer start up and run with a Tv running on a 1,000 watt inverter.
I just don't buy it.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:30 AM   #17
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Ozz,

I've seen it! It is as Dave says. I saw it first on his old Monte and when they got a new one we saw it there. I'm like you.... seeing is believing. Well we've actually seen it and so we believe it. By the way Dave did all the work himself. He has many years of experience with RVing and with solar. He has made many trips to Alaska. We've even shared some of the seafood he brought back! So no matter how unlikely it may sound.... it works as advertised!

Dennis
Old 06-02-2008, 04:23 AM   #18
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Dennis, it would be possible, but as a general rule, I would not advise someone here on the Forum to try it. He probably had a good system, set up for Boon-docking. I would hate to advise a person to try the small to mid size Inverter with an inadequate battery bank, and a small battery charger for the system. It does take substantial research, money and wiring knowledge to have a good inverter system.
I have a 2500 Watt system here at the house, I run the house on in emergencies, but I have a bank of 12 golf cart batteries and a high quality Inverter-charger for it.
We control the loads with care as well.
Dave could have been a little more diplomatic in his answer.
Here is some information on Inverters.
Some appliances require an initial surge of power to start up, called a Starting Load (or Peak Surge). The Starting Load is considerably higher than the Continuous Load and must be considered when sizing the inverter, the battery and the cables that connect the two.
Watts x 2 = Starting Load*
*This is an approximation. Some appliances may require a greater starting load (3 to 7 times the continuous rating).
b. Continuous
We will also look at putting together a system that is designed to last us only a few (3-4?) years, so well look at using golf cart batteries [Trojan T-105, about $80 each], rather than heavier duty batteries such as the Trojan L-16, at about $180 each, which might give us 8 to 10 years life if treated well.
First Step: Determine how much power each load will take, and the number of hours the load will be used. You know the size of light bulbs, go to the name plates of the various appliances to determine power consumption. Were going to work in watts, a unit of power right now. Hint, you may find units rated in amperes (amps), which the current drawn by the device. Now, Power = Volts x Current (P=EI), so if your appliance nameplate gives the ratings in amps, simply multiply the current by 120 volts to get the power consumption. Example, a motor may be rated at 1 amp run, 4 amps start. That motor would be rated at 120 watts running, but takes 480 watts to get it started (1 x 120 = 120, 4 x 120 = 480).
We will use the following table of power required to start and run motors, published by the Virginia Cooperative Extension, Select the Right Portable Generator after a DisasterPub No. 490--303: You can look this up -- do a search on VA Coop. and then that pub.
Motor hp--------------1/6----1/4---1/2----1 Power to Start-------1000---1500--2300---4000 Power to Run----------215----300---575---1000
Appliances:
Lights, incandescent------75-100W
Lights, Fluorscent--------20-28W
Refrigerator-------------400-800W
Freezer------------------600-1000W
Electric Skillet--------1150-1500W
Electric Stove----------3000-4000W
Washing Machine-----------400W
Water Heater------------1000-5000W
Electric Fan--------------75-300W
Comments
PLEASE NOTE: Many electrical devices require a good deal more Watts to start or energize than is required to run once started. For instance an electric motor may require only 900 watts to run but need may 2300 watts to start. Please check with the manufacturer of your equipment to obtain minimum watts for starting operation of the equipment or device.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:32 AM   #19
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
We also put a 5 cu freezer in our washer dryer closet in the 3400 model. We find that as long as it is pretty full you can easliy run without power for a day of travel. We just do not boondock when we are planning on using the freezer. And the reason we installed one: during the winter we go to a park near Niland and the nearest grocery store is 40 min away. Costco and Walmart and hour. We have a farmers market that comes in twice a week and a small convience store for bread etc...so the freezer works great for stocking up on meat and lunchmeat and gives you room in other freezer for ice and ice cream.
dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 07:48 AM   #20
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Ozz,

Thank you for your rather extensive reply. All very good information.

Yes. Dave and many of us could be more diplomatic in our posts. It is somewhat more difficult to communicate via the electronic process than in person where one can see "body language". Dave does not have a mean streak in his body and I'm certain he meant no disrespect by his comments. And yes Dave does extensive boondocking and has for years. Prior to land based RVing he was a boater. And as you know many of the same techniques of boating are directly transferable to land based RVing.

He is also very handy with all things mechanical and electrical. As I indicated he has done all the designing and installation of his solar system. Having seen some of your stuff I know you'd be proud to have him work on any of your projects.

Anyway...... It works.

Again thank you for your reply and great info.

Dennis