Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2008, 03:49 PM   #1
crazy bout campin
Established Member

M.O.C. #8401
Leaking grey water tank

Noticed water dripping from bottom of montana when grey water tank is full. Do not notice this unless tank is completely full. Before I remove bottom covering, has anyone had this problem. If so was it a fitting or possibly a crack. Just wondering what to be looking for. Also, had a blow out on last trip and had all tires replaced. On this most recent trip when I went to drain the galley tank(drain handle is between tires) the T-handle was missing and the rod was bent against the frame. I assume the blow out caused. Has anyone had any experience replacing one of these in this location.

crazy bout campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 04:10 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Jimmy and Christi,

You might try doing a search. I plugged in "grey water leak" and got a couple of hits.

We have had a leak similar to what you describe. The leak was in the area where the tank connects to the drain. We've had to repair it a couple of times. We now have developed a leak in the Galley tank. At this point I'm assuming it is the same thing as the grey but won't know until such time as we actually get around to fixing it.

Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 05:45 PM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Have a question for both of you that have the leaks. Are you transporting the tanks full or nearly full? The tanks are not really designed to handle the pressure of a full tank when the Monte is on the roll. I always make sure I dump my tanks prior to leaving a C/G or try to find a truck stop that has a dump station I can use to dump them before I continue down the road for any distance. I normally only carry about 5 gallons in each of the black and grey water tanks when on the road. I keep just enough water in the fresh water tank to make a couple stops for nature calls if need be also. This is my way of doing things and others may see it differently. I'm sure there will be others that will jump in on this thread.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 11:26 PM   #4
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Here is a thread I posted on where I did a lot of work on the tanks. There are pictures on there to view also. It isn't an easy job to fix if you have to change the tank,

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=25507
Old 05-12-2008, 02:55 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have a leak in the black tank which is the identical tank. Both tanks can be seen with the front two panels of the under belly down in the 3400. The leak was at the very top and only noticed when full. The tank from the vendor was 275.00 plus 132.00 shipping plus fuel surcharge : you will need to buy and do the plumbing Ours is covered 100 % ,less 50.00 by our service contract(extended Warranty) cost over 1000.00. If you are handy I guess you can do it yourself???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:56 AM   #6
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rondo

The tanks are not really designed to handle the pressure of a full tank when the Monte is on the roll.
Why would that be?

There are times when you can't dump immediately (which, as you said, is sure preferred), and you have to haul the rig down the road. Surely these things are capable of carrying full black/gray tanks...and water for sure...which is even bigger and heavier than the others.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 01:14 PM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Some of us feel, OK, Al and I feel, strongly, that part of the problem is that the tanks were not installed with the 2 straps that the vendor/supplier said should be used during installation.

The tanks are kinda just hanging there on a narrow lip, all the way around.

Load em up, figure the weight, no additional straps, hmmmmmm, they sorta sag and bow and da da, next thing you know, they either fall out, or pull away from the plumbing fixtures at the top, or crack.

They may or may not be using the straps now, We have no knowledge of construction methods, but the last time we were in the plant, Fall of 2007, they were NOT using the straps that the vendor said should be used.

Would the straps stop all leaking/breakage?? Probably not. But, we feel it would diminish the numbers.

Al and I rarely travel with more than 5 to 10 gallons, in fresh water. No black or gray or galley if we can help it, or VERY LITTLE. He even has a concerned frenzy over driving to the dump in a campground.

Are we paranoid? Might be. Do we want to deal with a busted/leaking tank? NO WAY! Will it happen, maybe. Time will tell.

(Is Father Time as snarly as Mother Nature can be???)
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 01:23 PM   #8
crazy bout campin
Established Member

M.O.C. #8401
Rondo,
I have never traveled further than the campground dump station with tanks full( I agree with you on not traveling with tanks full). Since we are not fulltimers we usually only take short trips once or twice a month and dump every time. However we bought this Montana used so the previous owner could have traveled with tanks full.
crazy bout campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 05:35 PM   #9
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Jimmy and Christi-- I am with you on the purchase of the Monte! I also bought mine used from a friend and I know he didn't drive with full tanks but he did buy it from a dealership here and it was used when he bought it. In both instances or through both owner, I'm sure neither drove with full tanks! I willl say I did drive with a full fresh water tank last fall. I was heading for a C/G about 10-15 miles away and all the way it was smooth road (at least until I got to the State Park camping area- it was a little rough but I just slowed down to a crawl there). Kept my fingers crosse the whole time however. I will not drive down the highways with 3/4 to full black or greys-- just don't trust the supports in them, if any, and 30-40 gallons or water or whatever sloshing around in those things makes me feel real uneasy! Don't want to go through the horror stories that I've read about here on the forum.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 05:51 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jimmy, I saw that dump handle and rod changed once but it was a long time ago. I think if you remove a few screws from the bellypan in that area you can see and reach where the rod connects. If I recall, there's a cotter key or some kind of keeper you have to remove, then you can unscrew(?) or remove the old one and replace it.

We used to carry whatever was in the tanks but once someone described how they're attached we tend to dump before hitting the road. However, we do carry 2/3 full fresh water tank and I suppose it's susceptible to the same problems. One of these days I'll drop part of the bellypan and see if ours happens to be one of the ones where the tanks are strapped. I've read they strap them now but don't know for sure they do that nor when that started.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:47 PM   #11
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Guys the tanks are not supported all around just on the two long sides with about a 1" flange. I have been all up in mine and put a brace from end to end under mine to help hold the weight. both of my gray tanks have been replaced or repaired. I also will not travel with tanks full. jmo. bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:52 PM   #12
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
I have only one question about towing with holding tanks filled. Has anyone ever seen one on the road or dropped from a trailer? I don't mean a story online or the old friend or a friend story.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:04 PM   #13
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
The Denners, dropped the fresh water tank in Alaska, I am sure Judy will happen along at some point and refresh all our memories on the what, how, and etcers.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:20 PM   #14
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Bigmurf they have a pc of angle iron across the frame under them about 2or3" down from the tank they cant fall out they just crack open from the stress. both of mine cracked for some reason but they were not towed full after I got it. bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:26 PM   #15
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Bobby: They mount the same way as my last five rigs did. I had a small crack a few months ago, I patched it with a kit.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote