Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2007, 11:36 AM   #21
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
I truly am thankful that no one was seriously hurt. But, that Lippert bed slide system kept the bed in place, didn't it?

That almost looks like the road conditions I endured with the Challenger coming back from the Reno Rally in October of '05! Thank goodness, it was only for only 1/2 day of travel and 35 MPH. I don't ever intend to do that again.

MIMF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:20 PM   #22
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
WOW!!! That is some scary stuff there. We were gonna pull out of here today (Big Cypress National Preserve, Everglades FL)but decided to stay put due to the high winds. It was gusting up to 35 mph, and we decided we didn't want to deal with a white knuckle day. Knowing I will have to go back over the Sunshine Skyway bridge keeps me mindful of the weather.

A friend called today from Michigan and said to stay away as long as we can because it's so cold there. So, if I have to take a two week drive home to avoid adverse weather, then I will. And I'll definitely be watching the hills of Kentucky and Tennessee when the time comes to head through there also.

I feel so bad for these people. The memory of this is probably going to haunt them for many many years. Imagine being in the middle of all that while it was happening??!!! Whew, scary.

Jan
Connorsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:28 PM   #23
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
very , very lucky! sometimes the weather can be nice and you get snow drifts!
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 02:53 PM   #24
Russ and Sandy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #561
That is the very same stretch of highway we were traveling southbound when another driver pointed out to us that our awning had unfurled over the top of our Montana. There was a very strong gusty wind only in that short section of the road.

I originally thought it was due to the latch being pulled down a squirrel, or by me dragging a hose over it or when washing the roof or by a large snow drift falling down on it. I've since decided that it was just wind pressure causing it to unroll.

I had to do a U-turn on the road to get some shelter. I recall that I had to release the knobs and unlatch the roll mechanism in order to get the awning rails down. It was made more difficult because the roll strap had also blown away from its slot.

Suffice it to say that those winds can be very unpredictable and sudden. We will NOT tow when we feel there is risk of such high winds. The pictures shown in the link certainly reinforce that decision. I do seem to remember there are signs warning of gusty winds along that portion of I25. We were lucky that someone told us before the awning was shredded.
Russ and Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 11:13 AM   #25
Virgil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1457
That Montana came from the same dealership as mine did. As far as pulling the Montana in the dead of winter, if everyone from here waited until nice weather to pull, they would never go. A lot of the people I know leave right after the holidays in late Dec or early Jan. When I get to that stage, I plan on staying around till the holidays and leaving after that. You have to use common sense no matter what time of year. They maybe were trapped unexpectly, but the traffic around you will usually tell you what's up. I am sure if they had their druthers, they would have waited it out somewhere. Anyway, it could have been worse. They may have hurt someone else or themselves. Happy trails to you all.
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 01:19 PM   #26
keham
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3778
looking at those pic;s It appears to me it was not loaded. Maybe they just got it and were heading home with it. couple thousand pounds does make a differant. But High winds slippery roads =one big sailboat pushing the truck around big time.

ken
keham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 09:45 AM   #27
stevemc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6587
Boy, that is terrible!! I saw one like that out in Kansas on I-70 last year. Only in that case the truck and trailer were both upside down. I don't know the circumstances but assumed they got caught be a gust of wind based on the location and no other vehicles involved. Even on a moderately windy day the gusts can sneak up on you!
stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 10:22 AM   #28
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
These guys are North Dakotans. Those folk get their fair share of snow, ice, extreme cold weather, and fierce winds. Remember I was in Bismarck for almost a year last winter; the weather can be terrible. I bet it must have been something that snuck up on them from out of nowhere. Thank Goodness no one was hurt! Could have been so much worse.
t
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 09:27 AM   #29
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
the first picture looks like it is just after an ON ramp--he may have hit some "black Ice" as he was accellerating and if you have ever been in that situation you are absolutely helpless. It looks like the snow was across the road in front of where he turned over. Add a strong wind and I can see how that guy didn't have a chance. They were lucky they din't get killed.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 10:19 AM   #30
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Russ and Sandy

That is the very same stretch of highway we were traveling southbound when another driver pointed out to us that our awning had unfurled over the top of our Montana. There was a very strong gusty wind only in that short section of the road.

I originally thought it was due to the latch being pulled down a squirrel, or by me dragging a hose over it or when washing the roof or by a large snow drift falling down on it. I've since decided that it was just wind pressure causing it to unroll.

I had to do a U-turn on the road to get some shelter. I recall that I had to release the knobs and unlatch the roll mechanism in order to get the awning rails down. It was made more difficult because the roll strap had also blown away from its slot.

Suffice it to say that those winds can be very unpredictable and sudden. We will NOT tow when we feel there is risk of such high winds. The pictures shown in the link certainly reinforce that decision. I do seem to remember there are signs warning of gusty winds along that portion of I25. We were lucky that someone told us before the awning was shredded.
Someone on the MOC forum put me on to an awning lock which I installed on my awning to prevent the very thing that happened to you. Go to http://www.awninglock.com/

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 01:45 PM   #31
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by txkrumm

These guys are North Dakotans. Those folk get their fair share of snow, ice, extreme cold weather, and fierce winds. Remember I was in Bismarck for almost a year last winter; the weather can be terrible. I bet it must have been something that snuck up on them from out of nowhere. Thank Goodness no one was hurt! Could have been so much worse.
t
I spent a year in Bismark in one week!
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 03:17 PM   #32
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
My son went to University of Mary in Bismark. He spent 5 LONG years there and couldn't wait to leave. We made the trip twice, once in October for Homecoming, (he played on there football team). The wind just blew and blew and we darn near froze to the stadium seats. Seemed like a quaint and clean town, especially Mandan.

SORRY: Off topic I guess.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 05:43 PM   #33
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
No body got hurt bad that the most inportant thing.

OK I'll bite does anybody know who the owner was, and was he a MOCer. Or who ordered a New Montana and didnt get it at the time promised.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:46 PM   #34
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Don,

Can't confirm, but there was also a second Montana that laid down in the median near the same location, later the same day.

The one pictured has the old graphics and was plated to an owner in South Dakota. So far nobody on MOC has identified themselves.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote