Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2015, 11:17 AM   #1
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
Front AC wiring

Hello all. I have finally decided to install a front AC on our 2012 3402 (after looking at the weather forecast for an upcoming trip). I have been told that inside the front vent housing in the bedroom that the wiring is already there. I wanted to check with those of you here that have done this just to make sure. Also, is there a separate breaker already installed for the front AC? Because I need a low profile (winter storage roof height) I am pricing a Coleman Mach 8 that is only 8 1/4 inches tall. It seems like the only hard part is getting the unit up to the roof. Also a little curious as to how difficult the calking/sealant is to remove around that front existing vent after I get the vent out. I know I have to have the roof clean up there before I drop the unit in the hole. Thanks. Glenn

Glenn the fifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 04:18 PM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
My 2011 had a separate JBox in the ceiling just forward of the existing skylight ... that's where my wiring was. It was easily routed into the open hole once the skylight was removed. Yes it does have a separate breaker ... take a peek in your breaker/fuse box. The plastic interior trim box is held on by 4 screws directly into the ceiling panel. Once removed, the box just drops away. Up top on the roof, the exterior skylight has a zillion screws in it ... you just have to dig thru the sealant. Once the screws are out, gently pry around the base with a putty knife and eventually the skylight will let go the roof. Remove the sealant as best you can. I told a few people about very SPARINGLY using mineral spirits on a rag to clean it up a bit easier, but one or two obviously dumped mineral spirits all over the area and complained I guided them into ruining their EPDM roof material ... I guess if a little works, a lot reasons out way better for some???? Read the instructions on mounting the unit you bought, and you'll be a dual air kind of guy.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 02:11 AM   #3
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
Thanks Dieselguy. After I got home from work I went out and did some looking around. I also have the J-Box in the ceiling just forward of the front vent so, I guess I will be good to go. The only thing I have to figure out now is how to get the 90 pound thing up on the roof. It's supposed to be 103-105 where we are going. Definitely 2 AC territory. -Glenn
Old 06-23-2015, 02:33 AM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
2 ladders and a friendly neighbor. I just put a towel on the ends of the ladders to protect the fiver. It really goes easier than you figure.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 02:37 AM   #5
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
I have had a couple friends that said they would help. Thanks again!
Old 06-23-2015, 04:04 PM   #6
baybum10
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #15866
When I put the second AC in the wire was already behind the vent. The circuit breaker was also in the breaker box but the wire was not connected. The wire was behind the box. Very easy to connect.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:39 PM   #7
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
Is your thermostat Dometic or Coleman? The control wire to the thermostat should be in the ceiling too. It looks like a telephone wire. You can order a low profile unit from American RV with the control box built in to work with your factory thermostat. All you have to do is plug in the control wire and connect the power.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:40 PM   #8
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
Also meant to mention for the kind of heat you are going into you'll want another 15,000 BTU unit!
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 02:21 AM   #9
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
Thanks Greg. The new unit is indeed a 15K unit. I guess I will have to check out the breaker too Baybum to make sure that wire is hooked up. -Glenn
Old 06-24-2015, 03:37 AM   #10
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Glenn, When I installed mine I paralleled the truck right next to the big slide. Two 6' step ladders in the bed about 3 feet apart, grabbed the hand hold on each side of the box, walked up the ladder, placed on slide roof. From there it was easy to handle from the trailer roof. Really not a big job at all. Jim
Old 06-24-2015, 04:11 AM   #11
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
That's a good idea Jim. I had thought about parking my truck next to the trailer to get some extra height, but had not thought about just putting it up on the slide roof first. That would make for a shorter lift in both cases. Good thinking on your part! -Glenn