Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2012, 02:06 AM   #1
nunya
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6756
ceiling mounted potholder?

So has anybody installed a ceiling mounted pot and pan holder in their rig?? I gotta guess some have?? Please give me info on mounting and pics if you can. Wife wants one, told her I would check with the experts first. Thanks as usual!

nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:25 AM   #2
knighton91
Established Member

M.O.C. #10855
I have wanted to do this also. I have a 2012 324RLQ Mountaineer and thought of putting the pot rack inside the cabinet that is over my bar. Will be interested to see if anyone has made this modification. Happy Thanksgiving.
knighton91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:14 AM   #3
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I'd be concerned about the weight and movement going down the road. You would have to hit the roof trusses and make sure you don't put a screw into a bay that has wires running through it.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:41 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I would be very concerned just as NCFischers mentions. Save the hanging and swinging for the sticks and bricks. Adding any extra stress and weight that is greatly magnified with movement cannot be good over the long term. The roof trusses are designed for spreading weight around and not for a couple of points where downward weight is added. Unless you are a structural engineer and understand the exact locations and bracing for something that hangs down, I think the long term use will cause some damage.

That said, if one could create the hangers that are installed properly for using this only when set up and the whole thing is removed and stored when traveling, then the look would be awesome and while storage gained in the cabinets and cupboards is substantial, remain cautious that just because there's room doesn't mean you can carry it because of the weight that is added. It is easy to exceed the weight ratings on any rig.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:57 AM   #5
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
I have the same rig as you (2010), but I put up track lighting instead of a pan rack. As mentioned, I would not travel with pans on the rack, but I didn't think you would anyway. I don't see where a track light and a pan rack would differ all that much in installation, however in the weight it would need to support would be a concern.

I used an electronic stud finder from Home Depot and found every joist in the ceiling. Then used #10 stainless screws for each joist the track light spanned. You could drill the joists slightly larger and use molly type fasteners to support the weight. I don't think you need worry about pulling the ceiling loose, because if you think about the cabinets over the island are secured to the ceiling and I bet with screws. Anyhow, I think it is doable, I just wouldn't hang pots and pans the size to feed the homeless at a soup kitchen.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:17 PM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
The electrical would be the worry for me. They run all the wires down the ceiling before dropping them down the walls.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:44 AM   #7
nunya
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6756
Just to let ya all know I was not gonna travel with the pots a flyin! I figured I could hang 4 or 5 regular size pots n pans while sittin and make it easier to access them. If I can find the right setup I am gonna try it, I will let ya know how it works. Just figured someone had done it already cause ya all are so handy and wives do think alike!! Thanks for all the think abouts and ideas.
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:15 PM   #8
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
a dometic 13500 btu AC weighs 103lb.
but then it's not swingin'
how much does a Montana owner-on-a-roof weigh?
i think that if you found a rafter and tapped some 1/4" self drilling screws into it, the weight would not be a problem
Ozz, the thing-ma-jig, Montana-up-grader, gadget-adder, remodeler-camper architect re-designer, has bound to have screwed something into the roof rafters to mount some sort of do-hicky under the ceiling in his Montana ;-}
fauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:26 PM   #9
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
There are a few of the Monte owners that I know that hang their airplanes and fishing poles from the ceiling. Maybe they will chime in here and let you know about putting attachments to the ceiling!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:24 PM   #10
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Hummm.....

All those pots and pans swinging around would remind me of my days hauling swinging beef.

40,000 lbs hanging from the ceiling - Denver to LA or New York City.
Gkerlin is offline   Reply With Quote