Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2007, 05:52 PM   #21
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
We set the living room at 80 and the bedroom with the door closed cooler at night for sleeping and then off door open during the day. The main doesn't run nearly as much saving some on the electric bill.

Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:33 AM   #22
MikeandBarb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2332
We removed our 2nd AC unit and replaced with an additional Fantastic Fan. We love the change! We do much of our camping around Lake Superior and small lakes in upper Michigan so its quite a different situation!! Our furnace gets more use! Mike
MikeandBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 12:10 AM   #23
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
Until I read all your comments, I too felt one AC was enough. But now you have reminded me of a time we were in Virginia and it went up to 104. Very very uncomfortable. We had the motorhome with two air conditioners but could only run one at a time.
Since reading all these posts, going to get a second air conditioner. A back up is a must if you go south in the summer. Especially for us northerners who aren't use to the heat. Terrible thought --- not having any air when it's 104.

Carol
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:43 PM   #24
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We have just one but there are times a second would be nice to have. Such as when it is so hot the single unit just doesn't quite cut it. However, when we weigh just how seldom we have that need, installing a second unit is just not justified. Plus, some parks charge extra for a second unit whether you use it or not. If we find we're spending more time in excessively hot weather than we do now we may well change our mind. In other words, I think this all depends on needs.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 07:18 AM   #25
bonanza

M.O.C. #7098
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by trukdoc

Ill stick with mt two AC units. The more BTU's the better here in Texas. 15k plus 13.5k is better than 15k.
Trucdoc, Im confused. I have a 2000 Montana and I added the smaller matching AC to the bedroom using the existing wire that was in the vent opening, however even with 50 amps I can only run one at a time. There is a switch in the ceiling next to the original unit in the living room that is like a light switch. To use the bedroon unit, I have to flip that switch which kills the power to the living room unit. How do you get power to both at the same time?
bonanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 07:25 AM   #26
bonanza

M.O.C. #7098
I need help with my second AC unit. Im confused. I have a 2000 Montana 3280RL and I added the smaller matching AC to the bedroom using the existing wire that was prewired in the vent opening. However even with 50 amps I can only run one at a time. There is a switch in the ceiling next to the original unit in the living room that is like a light switch. To use the bedroon unit, I have to flip that switch which kills the power to the living room unit. How do you get power to both at the same time?
Thanks
bonanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 10:29 AM   #27
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bonanza

I need help with my second AC unit. Im confused. I have a 2000 Montana 3280RL and I added the smaller matching AC to the bedroom using the existing wire that was prewired in the vent opening. However even with 50 amps I can only run one at a time. There is a switch in the ceiling next to the original unit in the living room that is like a light switch. To use the bedroon unit, I have to flip that switch which kills the power to the living room unit. How do you get power to both at the same time?
Thanks
Mine came that way as well. If you understand house wireing or know someone that does, the solution is pretty simple. I separeated out the BD AC from the trailer at the switch in the roof. Throw switch away. I snaked a 10/2 w ground romex wire into the closet inside the celing panels run it to the left side went down through the floor. Dropped the plastic cover on the underside outside of the trailer, run the wire into a electrical box anywhere in the front to your convienance, and make a short pigtail to plug into a extension cord. I put mine below the left propane tank so nothing has to be open and sheds water away from electrical cord. At almost every CG right next to the 30 amp recepticle is a 15 amp recepticle. No 50 amp charges and gives two seperate circuts. I can run both like I am right now here in San Antonio and Keeping an easy 73 deg inside. This is also a safety feature if you travel with pets. If the breaker was to go out one I have never had it go out on both.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 12:07 PM   #28
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
We camp in the hot humid lowcountry of Va, NC, etc, and found our one unit already inadequate to cool our Monty. Which are you using as a second unit?
Reading the forum has told us that a penguin low profile wont work. But again, overall height is an issue going through the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel and the Tunnels on the other major arteries. How tall are you now?
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 12:48 PM   #29
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have two A/C units.We had the purchasing dealer install the bedroom unit as part of the deal.We have never really had the need to use both of them at the same time. When most of the activity is in the rear of the 3400 we will use the bedroom A/C for less noise in the rear. At night if a A/C is needed we will run the main A/C as the bedroom A/C is just to noisy for sleeping. We are sure there will come the time when both of them will be needed and we will have them..It is of course a personal choice. What works for us may not work for you.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 02:55 PM   #30
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
I use both AC units constantly when we are out. When we first hook up both units bring the temp inside down much faster. On a 100+ day it takes a long time to lower inside temps and never really gets comfortable. With both units running I will get in the low 70s inside. Not to mention the humidy we have here in Texas I can remove that much more moisture from the air also making it more comfortable. As far as noise goes, the bedroom unit is too noisy to sleep with but at night after the sun goes down the two units are not as much an issue.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote