Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2007, 06:01 AM   #21
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Steve,

I didn't do it that way which may explain the difference. I set the axles on one scale and the landing gear on the middle scale, then pulled the disconnected truck forward and just happen to leave the rear axle on the third scale. That was about all the tolerance the truckers could take lined up behind me .

I think I'll try it again the way you are saying.

Brad

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 09:27 AM   #22
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
My apologies to anyone alarmed by my high pin weight. Through a discussion on another thread, we just determined my process for determining pin weight was incorrect. I used the landing gear, which is set much closer to the axles than the pin. Because of the position of the landing gear, part of the weight normally supported on the axles when hooked up to the truck shows up on the landing gear.

Back to the scales
Old 02-07-2007, 09:39 AM   #23
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
It seems to me the only way to truly check the pin weight is to: 1st weigh the truck (empty, full it doesn't matter as long as it is just the truck). 2nd hitch the 5ver, 3rd pull JUST the truck back on the scales with the 5ver attached, but not on the scale. Weigh it now, difference from first weight and second is the pin weight. Does this not seem logical? Sure you have to weigh twice and, I guess pay twice, but at least you know the correct numbers. Someone correct me if I am wrong.....Please.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:03 AM   #24
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
I sure hope someone can come up with the standard way to do this pin weight stuff. I'm so confused now, a Kenworth is sounding better and better every day...LOL I haven't tried to weigh things yet, not only because I'm waiting to find out the standard way of doing it, but those scales intimidate the heck out of me! They didn't when I drove truck...but they do pulling this stuff...go figure. One thing I know for sure, I will avoid pulling with water on board as much as possible. I couldn't believe what a difference 1/3 of a tank of fresh water made in stopping distance!!! I'll keep monitoring this thread...

Jan
Connorsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:32 AM   #25
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Phil,

I think you've got it. I just gets a little confusing on the CAT scales that have 3 platforms. Using your approach, I think I'll try it again. The key is to get the truck weight by itself, then subtract.

Jan,

As a water hauler most of my career, I learned there is only one thing worse than hauling a full tank, and that is a partially full tank. Those tanks have no baffles and the water beats the heck out of them, not to mention the surge effect on the hitch. I try to keep the water full, and the waste tanks empty when towing.

Brad
Old 02-08-2007, 04:05 AM   #26
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Phil, that's the way I do it. Usually if you tell them you will want a "reweigh" and then when you pull on the scale the second time tell them this is the reweigh, they'll charge only a slight bit more for the second weigh. At a city scales I was told I could have up to five weighings on one ticket, meaning I pay just once. At a CAT scale I once was charged double. I think it was $7 or $8 for each weighing.

If the scale is segmented, then you can have trailer axles on one segment, truck front axle on another, rear truck axle on another so you get all those weights at no extra charge. Be sure to add both truck axles together for figuring pinweight.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 06:49 AM   #27
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Brad...we keep the fresh water tank almost empty when towing. When full, that's over 500 extra lbs to drag around...the gray tanks would be another 630.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 08:11 AM   #28
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
CAT -

I typically make sure all the tanks are drained before travelling home, but going to our destination I generally fill the fresh water unless I'm sure I'll have a water supply when I get there.

It is heavy stuff.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:05 AM   #29
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Water 8# per gallon
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote