Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2007, 02:24 AM   #21
Gonfishin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3604
Dave, Here is my 02cents. As long as there is not a problem with your absence from the unit with the campground I would close it up as if in storage. You never know what the next few wks will bring weather wise. I would lock all the compartments (not that it will keep out a thief) disconnect water and electric, shut off the battery power and leave the bathroom door open over the laundry hatch. (again not that it will stop a thief, but maybe slow them down) I am a person who likes to leave very little to chance.
Rick
P.S. Glad to see you guys didn't get blown away with the wind.

Gonfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 02:50 AM   #22
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, everyone. Good advice from all. We will pull everything in.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 04:41 AM   #23
AZCampinfool
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5430
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RailroadMike

Bad wind = BIG problems....IN!
This comment got me thinking. What does everyone do who has slide toppers if the weather turns nasty while you are in your fiver? Whether you are full timing or just out for the weekend, do you put in the slides and wait out the storm, or do you just watch the awings flap in the wind and hope for the best? I don't have any slide toppers so I have never really thought about this until now. I know in my fiver it really would not be feasible to put the slides in and comfortably live in the unit. We wouldn't have access to many drawers, the T.V. stereo etc. I can just see the look on my DW's face when I told her she had to climb over the kitchen counter to access the fridge etc. I'm thinking even if I had slide toppers I would be forced to leave the slides out, watch the storm, and pray nothing tore apart. Maybe I'm missing something here? Anyway, back to the orginal ?....I agee with most here and would put the slides in, just one less thing to worry about.
AZCampinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 05:03 AM   #24
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Bruce, one suggestion that I got from a MOCer a while back - can't remember who - said that the best thing to do if you are concerned about the slide awnings, he throws a rope (doesn't have to be a large diameter) over and around his slides (and awnings), then ties or anchors the rope down. This stabilizes the awning and keeps them from flapping in the wind.

As a note, I have not found a rubber ball of any shape, size, or composite makeup that will stay put under these awnings if the wind climbs to 20 mph or higher. I have donated many of these little beach balls to my camping neighbors over the past 8 months. These balls are great, though, for keeping the water from going the wrong way off the end of the slides during a rainstorm.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 05:42 AM   #25
tcorbitt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5799
We never have this issue as non-full-timers, but I can tell you my inlaws leave thier's for a week or two at a time during the winter months in FL. They have many good friends at the park and leave the slides open. If bad weather approaches, one of the neighbors closes up the Monty. In addition, one of the friends always parks in their lot when they are gone. This is something the group has done for years. In fact, when we visited last February, we were parked in the site of one of their friends who had taken a cruise for a week.

TC
tcorbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 06:10 AM   #26
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Another tip (for next time) might be to NOT advertise here (for anyone who wants to "register" and read it) that you are going to be gone for a period of time and have any indication where you are leaving the RV (signature).
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 08:57 AM   #27
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Right after the first Goshen rally in 2004 we had to fly to San Diego on a family emergency. We were gone two weeks. We let the park management know we'd be gone, turned off the water, left the slides out and small lights on. We didn't want it to be too obvious the Montana had no one in it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 03:30 PM   #28
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by AZCampinfool

This comment got me thinking. What does everyone do who has slide toppers if the weather turns nasty while you are in your fiver? Whether you are full timing or just out for the weekend, do you put in the slides and wait out the storm, or do you just watch the awings flap in the wind and hope for the best? I don't have any slide toppers so I have never really thought about this until now. I know in my fiver it really would not be feasible to put the slides in and comfortably live in the unit. We wouldn't have access to many drawers, the T.V. stereo etc. I can just see the look on my DW's face when I told her she had to climb over the kitchen counter to access the fridge etc. I'm thinking even if I had slide toppers I would be forced to leave the slides out, watch the storm, and pray nothing tore apart. Maybe I'm missing something here? Anyway, back to the orginal ?....I agee with most here and would put the slides in, just one less thing to worry about.
Our toppers have not been a problem in the weather or wind, other than making some flapping noises. We've only a couple of times pulled in the slides during bad weather. That was not because of the toppers. It was because the wind under the slides was rocking us enough we felt we should pull them in.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 02:58 AM   #29
WildBigBill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2149
Pull them in!!

Bill.
WildBigBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:03 AM   #30
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
We put the slides in, cutoff the water, and leave the electricity and gas on. We notify the park folks and give them a spare key, if it is a place we frequent and know the office folks. We have done this a few times and it has worked out well. Not overly concerned about items being taken, once again if it is in a place we frequent. Figure if people leave most of their possessions out while getting rv serviced for a couple of days, it should be safe enough, and besides since everybody and their brother has a 751 key, it probably doesn't matter.

bob
rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote