Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2009, 02:22 PM   #1
ALAN
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4279
PHX-GLACIER-GOSHEN

We are planning a trip to Glacier Park from Phx, AZ and from there to the rally in Goshen. Has anyone traveled any portion of a potential route for any part of this trip? Could you advise roads, camping facilities, sights to see, etc?

We are pulling a 2010 3400RL on our first outing so size of campgrounds and grades on roads are a concern. Our target departure date from Phx is 8/4/09 and the rally starts 9/21/09.

Thanks for any thoughts you may have.

Alan & Kathy

ALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:02 PM   #2
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
We are spending our 4th summer in West Glacier area. What is your interest on routes (scenic or ease of travel)?
North Salt Lake has a new RV Park I want to stay in, Pony Express RV Resort. All new and concrete pads. From SLC area, on I-15, The first RV Parks I like are in Dillon, MT or Annaconda, MT. There is construction on part of the highway 93 north of Missoula. Try to avoid that if you can.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 05:34 PM   #3
ALAN
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4279
It would be nice to have both ease of travel and scenic but if we had to chose at this point, I would select ease of travel.

We also will need a place to stay in the Glacier area, any recommendations would be appreciated.

Alan & Kathy
ALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:08 PM   #4
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Hungry Horse has a wonderful campground that the Montana's fit in nicely. It is close to Glacier and several of us stay there while in the area. There is so much to do in the area I hope you give it at least a week.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:53 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We went to the same park Ademoll did. Mountain Meadow RV Park in Hungry Horse. We loved it and would go back.

As for the routes, I don't think you'll have any problem except possibly on some roads in Colorado, if you go that way. I wouldn't tow from Durango north on whatever highway that is.

Also, be aware you cannot tow your trailer through Glacier National Park. You can, however, take US 2 down and around it. We have done that. No problems with grades.

If you have any specific highways, there probably are several here who have towed on them and can give you their thoughts. From my experience, from Phoenix to Glacier and then to Goshen doesn't give you any grades you can't handle unless you're towing with an underpowered truck or something.

As for campgrounds, we've only run across a couple in over six years of fulltiming where we couldn't find a site we fit into. Most private parks today, no problem. Public parks, many are fine but you'll find some you don't fit.

FYI, our 3400 measures, actual tape measure length, at 39' 1" in length and 12' 10" in height. When we call a park we tell them our length and that we have slides on both sides so they are sure to get us a site where we fit.

Good luck. Glacier is gorgeous and the rally is a great experience. I hope you enjoy them both.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote