Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2006, 11:48 AM   #1
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Ok we are buying the 3400RL need your help

Well, I have been reading your posts and we have been looking at so many FVers. We have finally decided that the 3400RL is the model and make that we want and are ready to buy one. We have a dealer that is about 30 minutes from us so we don't have far to go.

The last time we were at the dealership they told us that they had several 3400RLs coming in, so there hopefully will be one on the lot. This dealership orders all of their inventory with the Gelcoat siding. I have read that alot of you don't have it on your FVers. The thing that I worry about is that the siding will yellow. I have seen a Montana on the dealerships lot that was traded in and it was very yellow in color, not sure how old it was. Will the filon siding yellow over the years or will it stay white like the front and rear caps? Our present 2001 FVer is fiberglass all around except for the door and it has yellowed. We plan on keeping this FVer and not trading it in anytime soon.

We can special order a FVer from them and get what we want. If we do this we could get rid of the gelcoat and just order the filon siding.

Is there anything that you have on your Montana that you can't live without, or anything that you wouldn't put on it that is on it now?

Do you have a slide in the storage area below? Is that a waste of money or something that comes in handy?

What about the second air conditioner?

Why one type of wheel (rims) over the other?

Would you order the W/D with the rig or buy it on your own?

I am sure there are lots of other things that I am not asking cause I don't know to ask so I would love to hear your thoughts.

I know that all of these things are personal preferences, but you guys have been living in, or using them for alot longer than I have. I have learned that listening to the words of wisdom from others can save you lots of headaches.

So thanks for any words of wisdom that you are willing to share.

Colleen

Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 02:01 PM   #2
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
Hi, Colleen ...

(1) We do not have enough experience to comment on Gelcoat and whether it yellows over time. I find it hard to imagine a dealer knowingly ordering a product that would yellow after a few years ... but I would ask him/her specifically. Others will eventually chime in with their views.

(2) We could live without the California King Size bed. Would prefer the space in retrospect.

(3) Had the slide. removed it. 85 lbs that I did not really use. Have kept it in the garage. May decide it is something I want later.

(3) We do not have the sustained heat here in southern Ontario that you have in Texas ... but we rarely use our a/c even in the hottest weather. Our Fantastic Fan really is a fantastic fan and does a great job of cooling our coach when the sun goes down. My guess, however, is that your fellow Texans will recommend a second a/c.

(4) We have the white steel rims because we bought a unit off the lot and that is what it had on it. We are perfectly happy with them ... though many others prefer the flashier aluminum wheels. We have a Jeep Rubicon with flashy wheels. That is enough!

(5) W/D did not come with our unit and we have not found that we need one ... yet! We will likely have Camping World install one if/when we discover that it is something we can't live without ... most likely when we retire and start taking longer trips.

(6) One thing we really do appreciate having is the central vac. It is amazingly handy ... and it works great.

None of the items you have discussed are critical to safety or operation. My advice is not to "over buy". Your usage patterns and experience will tell you what you want to add. As for the King Size Bed and slider tray, they came with the unit we purchased off the lot ... but they are probably what we would have ordered anyway. You live and learn. If you are like most of us on this Forum, the more critical questions revolve around selecting the proper tow vehicle for your 3400. Hope this is at least minimally helpful.

Bill
Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 02:04 PM   #3
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Can't help with the yellowing, ours is new.

We ordered ours without:
-gelcoat, it adds approximately 600 pounds of extra to the weight of the 5er [and decreases the amount you can carry in the trailor].
-Fantastic Fan is nice but cheaper as aftermarket.
-generator/generator prep, We don't dry camp any more and can use the storage. I also don't like one under the bedroom and a generator adds alot to pin weight.
-sliding tray in the basement because I felt it cost too much storage room, it's big.
-2nd A/C, it is probably good to get it if you plan on being in hot areas much, it's cheaper from the factory than from our dealer as an addon.
-washer drier combo would have been cheaper as OEM, we added it later.
-slide awnings, didn't want them but they're probably cheaper factory installed.
-end table, lamp and sofa table, didn't want them for their price.
-big refrigerator, too expensive for what you get.
-king size bed, takes up room on the sides of the bed making it difficult for Mary to make the bed and we would have needed another size of bedding.
-dual pane windows. Too many reports of problems after time and limited crossventilation capability

We did get;
-built in central vacuum, it has worked out well and is one less thing to find space for [except for the hose and attachments].
-fireplace even though it was overly expensive.
-steel wheels instead of alum because of price and they don't have to be polished.
-hide-a-bed for company use.
-selector valves, good for when you need to openclose only one slide.
-2nd A/C prep.
-outside shower, becausse Mary wanted it.
-artic insulation package, it does help a little
-washer/drier prep
-ceiling fan

We had the dealer install a TrailAir pin box at delivery, I think I would have had it factory installed if it had been available,
-We had the dealer install a support for the patio awning.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 02:18 PM   #4
Army Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5508
We're picking up ours this Friday. We debated alot on some of the add ons. The ones we decided we wanted was the slide out awnings and a 2 ac. We did not get the generator prep nor the washer/dryer but we did get the prep. I figure W/D will be added later, probably from CW.

I'm sure there are things that I will want to add as time goes buy. I've already figured I will put shelves in the closet by the shower. This will become our linen closet. I've read about some of the other ideas and will go from there.

I did a quick walk thru of ours and everything looked great. We are ready to do our PDI and then we will be taking it to Colorado for a shake down trip.
Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 02:33 PM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Colleen,

Suspect from other units we have seen (Montanas and other brands) that the filon alone may turn yellow down the road, note, the word SUSPECT. not sure, but your Texas sun may do stuff that our cooler Michigan sun won't do. There have been a number of discussions here at MOC on weight of that gel coat, do a search, include the archives. Skip quotes 600 pounds, others claim it is closer to 200.

Like Skip, we would not have the slider thing in the basement, for same reasons he quotes.

We do not have washer/dryer but DID order the unit with the prep!! This is a DO DO DO! At this point we do a long time trip (2 to 4 months) in the winter (to escape the cool Michigan weather) and as much as I would like to have one of those Spendides, well, honestly, the dog gear takes up too much room! SIGH I need the room for dog gear and research stuff. So, no washer/dryer for this gal for now. I manage quite well with trips to the laundry mat. Others say they cannot stand to do their laundry there, and if I had some of the experiences I have read about, I probably would be right there with them in that feeling. So far, knock on wood, I have not had any really bad experiences in laundrymats.

Second A/C, again, not required up here in the north country, but I think I would have one if I were a Texas resident!! or lived anywhere south of the Mason Dixon Line!!

We have Max Air fan in the living area (another version of the Fantastic fan), and would NOT be without. It is great for pulling out moisture in cooler weather (so you don't fog up). Also have a Fantastic Fan, but not the expensive one with the rain sensor, in the bath area, for using during showers, etc. Would not be without either of these.

Covers for the other vents are mandatory!

Would NEVER EVER be without some kind of air pin or hitch. No room for bickering on this point. We have one, will always have one. Cannot stress how important we feel it is for our own comfort and for protecting the unit from road stresses.

We like our slide awnings, and accept the fact that at some point, we will be replacing fabric. Would surely order those again from factory.

Dry camping is not in our future, only did a few times, prefer to have the basics, if that is only electric! HA HA. No generator required, saved the cost of gen prep and the cost and weight of a generator. IF you really love dry camping, then it is a necessity. You need to know how you enjoy camping, your life style, your likes and dislikes, specially with the generator option.

Good luck on your order and your future home on wheels.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 02:41 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We just took delivery of our 3400 May 5th,We did get the slide out topper awnings many post on this forum convinced us they were worth the money. We did get the central vac because Helen wanted it. I was surprised at how well it works, plenty of power.We got the slide out tray in the front compartment.For us it is very handy, all of the stuff we use all the time is in those plastic milk crates. Five of the large crates fit on the tray that pulls out from both sides .No crawling around in the compartment or moving things around to get to what you need.Had the second Domenitc Penguin A /c installed by the dealer. Did get the W/D prep for maybe a W/D later. No generator prep got a Kipor 3500ti for a very good price that will run everything. Got the steel wheels, aluminum to expensive for the quality of wheel that is on the unit..can upgrade later if we want. The high gloss gel coat does NOT add 600 lbs to the camper.it is 200lbs same for the dual pane windows.We did not get the Hi gloss gel coat..turns out the maint is about the same for both and it was to expensive for the eye candy. Do have the fantistic fan in the kitchen area. our dealer was great, the PDI was perfect.We have been running all syetems in the driveway since May 5th and have found no problems.it has been raining for several days and not a single leak.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 03:01 PM   #7
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Just a note, the 600 pounds is from the 2005 brochure I have in front of me. It may have changed in later models.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 03:04 PM   #8
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
Many of us that only dry camp once in awhile get a portable gen. They come in several sizes and outputs. Do not want the weight added to the king pin weight. As to gel coat. We have it and love it. Our previous 5th did not. I love the smooth finish. As to weight, if you can accept Keystones 600 lbs. than if you figure it out only about 200 is on the hitch. Love the fireplace. Big price though. Several on the forum have done their own and saved big $$$$.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you get.
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 03:08 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Countryfolks

Just a note, the 600 pounds is from the 2005 brochure I have in front of me. It may have changed in later models.

Skip
I called the Montana factory before we ordered our 3400 in a attempt to find the real weight of the Hi gloss gel coat and the dual pane windows.Finally spoke to a prson who knew for sure and he said the actual ADDITIONAL weight of the HI gloss was @ 200 lbs and about the same for the dual pane windows. If you do a search you will probably find the post with the individuals name.What that means to me was the Hi gloss gel coat weighs 600 lbs and the regular gel coat weighs 400 lbs.

The person I spoke with was Charles Wade at Keystone..Suggest you speak to him to confirm Gel coat weights if you need to...
Old 05-16-2006, 03:10 PM   #10
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Colleen
First, congratulations on making a great decision - the 3400 is a wonderful unit. A lot of the comments already posted depend on whether you plan to full time or not. We purchased ours from one the dealer had on the lot. We did not get the second A/C as we do not plan on needing it - otherwise we will be in cool places. Last summer our area had 3 digit temps for weeks and yet our unit was comfortable. We have the Fantastic Fan and also run floor fans. We love the fireplace, central vacuum and really love the sliding tray in the basement. I'm short so it nice for me as I can't reach the center of the basement. We have the combo washer and dryer which we purchased from Camping World and installed ourselves (recommend having it installed). We did not get dual pane windows - again our plan is to be in medium temperatures in summer and winter. We do not dry camp so did not get generator prep. We will probably purchase a generator to carry in the back of the truck when we go to Alaska. We have a 3500 CC dually long bed and do not feel the need for any add ons. It rides and tows great and I take it to shopping centers all the time without major problems just a little thinking ahead.
Happy trails...............................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 03:35 PM   #11
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
well my wife and I took home our 3400 three to four weeks ago now and have been out only once for our shake down but so far so good we will be racing our boat in Red Bluff Ca. over Memorial Day so we will give it the big test My wife loves the central vac the most we got no slider in the basement wanted the extra room didn't need the 2nd a/c at this point got w/d prep but like the extra space fantastic fan is a must got the fireplace and love it made a wine rack for under the desk and can still fit the chair under the desk and it looks good too can't live in the wine country and not have a wine rack lol we have a honda es5500 gen very quiet water cooled goes behind the cab of the truck can sit out in the weather so no big deal was cheeper than the one offered by the dealer we did install 2 clocks one above the w/d compartment one in the bedroom batt operated hope you find your 3400 to be as good as we did we moved up from a 31 foot komfort to the Montana and love the change we did get the gel coat finish hoping it wouldn't yellow like the komfort did I have found that the folks here at the forum do be the most helpful with all my dumb questions and hope to get out and meet as many as possiable I drive a Big Truck for a living and pass alot of Monty's always wondering If they are some one who has answered a question for me well good luck to you and if I can be of any help please ask ..........Tim ford BOAT 391 if your in red bluff stop by the pit and say Hello
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 03:35 AM   #12
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
The slider works nice for us in that a Honda 2000 fits on it perfectly and it slides out for easy loading/unloading. I can understand the weight/space idea as well. On one side are all of our chairs and the other has the generator.

The fireplace is a nice option for the extra heat to take the chill off in spring/fall or those cool mountain nights.

Central Vac has been a nice option as well.

And, the Comfort Control Thermostat - not the remote that everyone had issues with in the past.

Best of luck. We are in our third season in our 2005 and have spent about 80 nights in it from Colorado to Maine to Texas. Considering we can only use it from April to November, we spend almost every free weekend that we can using it plus vacations. We haven't found a unit we like better so far. But they put out new models every year.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 03:40 AM   #13
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Ask for "Words of Wisdom" and you guys and gals come through. I have a few more questions from your responses so if any or all want to chip in information I would be grateful. So you have an idea of our usage, we (or I should say he at this point until the kennel sells) will be in the FVer possibly 6 months of the year, depending on hurricanes. He is an insurance adjuster so the dry camping might be forced on him as there might not be power or water. By choice we will not be dry camping much.

How much do you use your fireplace, and does it really heat the unit or do you have to use your propane or additional electric heater any way? Anyone know how much weight the fireplace adds?

Some of you have the awnings over your slides. Can you tell me the benefits from having those? While visiting dealerships I have been told so many stories with pros and cons about them. I would rather hear from the people that have them then the salesman Do your awnings have the automatic sensors in them?

You have lost me on the air pin or hitch item. I haven't done any research on that can you explain? Our tow vehicle is a 2005 2500 Crew cab LWB Diesel Duramax with the Allison tranmission. I think it is the same vehicle that Montana Sky has. I call the truck the tank for parking purposes.

Ordering the gelcoat would not be for the looks but for the possibility of the FVer yellowing over the years. It will be staying out in hot climates most of year when he is working. We plan on building a building to store it when we move, but I am not sure how much it will be in there as I want to start seeing the USA during the winter months.

Dual pane windows are they only if you are in the colder climates, or do they help with the higher heat levels? How does this restrict your cross ventilation? Can you not open both windows at the same time? I am not sure that I have seen the dual windows on any of the units that we have looked at, or maybe they were on there and I didn't realize it.

The Fantastic fans are being praised here. Do you need more than one of them? Does anyone have a ceiling fan in the bedroom? We sleep with one on year round? I have to have white noise to sleep well.

For those that have generators you have posted that they will run your complete rig. Are you saying that they will run everything just as you would be plugged into your 30 Amp or 50 amp campground?

Richaa,

I know you have investigated weight on your items you have added. Do you know how much the slide weighs, and does it take up the entire cargo area?

You guys are the best, I can't thank you enough for your time in helping someone out. I hope at some point I can pay back the favor to others that have questions. Unfortunately right now my knowledge in this area is as big as a lemon well that maybe be an over statement. Now if you need information about dogs, cats, or cruising I can answer tons of questions. Our other passion is cruising so I have done tons of research in that area. Of course the dog and cat part comes from owning a kennel for 26 years.

Carol,

I forgot to say that I know restaurants as well, my wasteline doesn't lie. Don't forget to visit the Blue Bonnet Cafe in Marble Falls next year.
Old 05-17-2006, 04:09 AM   #14
Montana_5626

M.O.C. #5626
I have been a Montana owner since they were introduced in 98'. I was interested in the 3400rl and looked at several other brands with similar floor plans. The Everest 344j is built on the same frame and the interior finish is solid maple with solid maple cabinets, 10 yr warranty. The trim is solid wood with no paper covered wood and there is no vinyl covered wood. It is a classy looking interior so I opted to buy the Everest. Cost was as good or better than I could have traded for the 3400rl.
Montana_5626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 04:16 AM   #15
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Jetfromtn,

We looked at the Everest and if I remember correctly the weight in your FVer is alot more than the Montana. Can you tell me the weight on yours? Color schemes also play a roll in whether or not I would be satisfied with a FVer. We have looked a lots of them for over 5 years and the 3400RL so far is the ONE.

Colleen
Old 05-17-2006, 04:18 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I do not know the actual weight of the Slider tray.Someone mentioned 85 lbs and I would not doubt that as it is very sturdy .This Charles Wade seemed to be knowledgeable on weights. The slider tray is in the front compartment on the right side, it runs the entire length of the compartment and will slide from both sides. The actual width of the slider is 17 1/2 inches and since it sets clear of the black water pipes it takes up a total space of 25 inches from the side wall leaving 40 3/4 inches of width in the compartment. Can't help you with the fireplace( we use the space for storage) and our plan is to be in a place in the winter times where it is WARM.We do keep a space heater on board. Same story with the dual pane windows It depends on how you will be using your camper.The fantastic fans are fantastic and if you do not get the 2nd A/c in the bedroom you may consider the 2nd fantastic fan there.. Information is what this forum is about and as for pay back Helen and I are partial to Brandy Alexanders..
Old 05-17-2006, 04:40 AM   #17
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
HAHA, the Blue Bonnet is on the TO DO LIST !! Thanks!

OK, for the slide toppers: We like them cause they tend to help keep the unit a bit cooler in the hot weather, they are great for allowing snow and ice to run off, have had the occassion when I don't know how we would have closed the slides cause there was so much ice up there. We also like cause wet leaves and debris slide right off when we close the slides up. Only one time did Al have to climb up on the roof to brush off the wet leaves, and that was in Pigeon Forge area in the fall. They do make additional noise on the windy days, at first we found that annoying, but we have grown accustomed to the noise.

As far as auto opening awnings, nope, don't care to go there, they have a tendency to close when it gets the least bit windy, we have never had them, but don't see how you could hang lights or anything from it, could not tie it down either, I don't think. I have heard enough dissatisfied stories about them, that we will be sticking with the ole fashioned pulled down by human power. DaveEVictoria has one on his Cambridge, maybe he will give us some up front and personal knowledge/input on it.

Those that have fireplaces LOVE it! They are nice looking. We use the space for "Yorkie Central", it is full of 4 small cages and grooming towels. I don't know how I could go without the space with all the dog stuff we have. We use small portable electric heaters, put one on the kitchen counter and one in the bedroom on the dresser. We can put them away when not needed, they are small, and they keep us warm. But, that fireplace is NICE!! I don't know the weight of the fireplace.

Duel pane windows, those that have them love them, those that full time and end up in cooler places for the holidays wish they had them if they don't. They do add weight and $$ to the unit, when we ordered, the reports on the 1 year warranty and reports of the seals not holding up much longer than that scared us off. They may have improved by now, our unit is almost 3 years old. We don't winter camp any more, but have spent some cold nights in there on the way to Texas. I sleep on the futon in the Living room slide, and I get so covered up with blankets that I don't notice too much cool air coming off the single pane window, remember the day/night shades provide some blocking of the cool air. I believe the duel pane windows, the bedroom window, does not have a screen, and it might be that some do not open. Hopefully some of the people that have them, will check in here and fill us in on what opens and what does not. We have found we do ok without them. And, we can always cover windows with plastic or very thin plastic that can be purchased at Lowe's or Home Depot for making storm windows. I imagine they will help with the heat as well as the cold.

Air pin, do a search on Trail-Air (on the net) or a search here and include the archives. We have the Isolator, which we believe may no longer in production, but it is very similiar to the Trail-air. It cushions action between the 5er and the truck. After riding around for a year without one, and now for 2 years with one, and seeing the difference of the stuff INSIDE (rides much better), and watching the cush action from inside the truck when we go over bumps, well, said it before, say it again, we will never be without one, EVER.

Fantastic fans, we have two fans like that, only one is a Maxair. The Max air has the motor OUTSIDE THE UNIT, and is a bit quieter than the Fantastic fan. We had a VERY old model Fantastic fan on the TT, right over my ear in the kitchen, and it got so I could not stand to run it. The noise was pretty bad. Again, this was a very old model, the new ones are not as noisy, or at least that is our opinion! HA HA. The Maxair fan is in the living area, we are happy with it. We put a Fantastic fan in the shower area.

Ceiling fan in the bedroom, nope, don't think there is enough room, even with a ceiling hugger. Someone may have some experience on that. Have you considered a white noise machine??

Hope this helps, and thanks for the reminder on the Blue Bonnet Cafe! We will plan a day trip there if we get to Fredericksburg again (chances are good that we will) and I can take more gate photos and have a great ride and a great meal too! Plan works for me! HAHA
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 02:10 PM   #18
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
one note about slide out awnings we had them on the other coach and loved them the best way to put is anything that falls on the roof of your slide will be in your coach and will fall off during travel very messy so the awnings keep unwanted dirt and leaves water snow and ice out where it belongs lol good luck to you
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 03:03 PM   #19
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
The slider does indeed weigh 85 lbs. I know because I weighed it after removing it from the basement as part of my "reduce the pin weight" campaign!

Bill
Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 04:17 PM   #20
FulltimeFollies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5656
We have had our 3500rl, for seven weeks, We fulltime. We will not go where we need dual pane windows, so wont comment on those. We do sometimes get caught in Hot weather, so we got the second a/c. We are w.d preppred but hate the w/d combos. I like the storage where they go. We got the vaccum and she loves it. We got the fire place and we ALL love it, including the mutt. No sliding tray, didnt feel we needed it. No awning covers, had em all previous fivers and felt useless, cause I will not stay in wet weather. We took the alum wheels, cause I like the looks and upkeep is easy. We got the fantastic fan, she loves it, I hate it, NOISY. We got the digital temp control and it is great. We got the slide valve tht alows seperate opening and closing. We got the real doors, we know how to close and open em before moving the slides. We got the new front end, no feelings there either way. Course we got the artic package and the moving to Montana packing , even though I aint going to Montana anytime soon. We dearly love love love the king size bed. So does the mutt. I hope this helps you , we love out 3500rl and look forward to many years of living in it.
FulltimeFollies is offline   Reply With Quote