Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2011, 10:44 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Lusk, Wyoming

Super neat drive from Loveland to Lusk, beautiful rugged country. Houses and outbuildings back against the bluff, a few trees around them, thousands of acres around the settlement. Neat. Bluffs, Mesas, rolling Prairie. What a beautiful country we live in.
We drove into the small town of Lusk, lots of activity going on, it seems there is a reenactment of Rawhide Days at the Fairgrounds, horses, teepees, and luckily, the parade will be coming by our RV site, we are right on the small side-street and the parade route, we are excited.
I got my bike out first thing and rode up to the Fairgrounds, all the horses are in individual pens lining the fence half way around the grounds, they are making horse noises, and seem to be quite excited. They all looked at me as I rode by the fence perimeter. (Had my shirt on..) I rode downtown, looking for good places to eat. Seems like the old drive in place with the three-tiered faded sign is the go-to-place, a big line up to the window. 'Broasted Chicken', the sign says. I guess that is a good thing. We will try it if I can get the chicken to stay in my bike carrier….
I rode back to the other side of town to the last truck stop in town, a bunch of bikers rode out in a long line, Sturgis bound, I would guess...
Well, got to go get the Chicken.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:07 AM   #2
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Be sure to watch for Pronghorn Antelope. If you can't find those in Eastern Wyo. then you are blind.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 03:59 PM   #3
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
We hunted Antelope in Saratoga Wyo. several years. Would travel up from Grand Lake Colo. stay a week and go back. Another unique and wonderful part of this great country.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:55 PM   #4
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We were in Cody, Wyoming 4th of July 2010. Wonderful Western town, had lots of fun there. However we really Love Wyoming and Montana, for that matter we Love the West.

Leaving for Colorado Sunday morning 10 July. We be in Colorado for a Month and then will go to New Mexico, Red River probably. Got to find some cooler weather. We Love the Western States... Happy Trails....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:39 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jim, that Rawhide Days sounds like the kind of local atmosphere thing we love to happen upon.

A few years ago we were in the Yellowstone area and were excited to see the signs about a reenactment of a mountain men rendezvous in West Yellowstone. We showed up at the appointed time but no rendezvous. We stopped at a local grocery and found out it had been canceled. We still would like to go to one of those someday.

Glad to hear you are enjoying your travels. We love the beautiful scenery but also have found the simple pleasures like the one you found out about create some terrific memories as well. Keep on enjoyin'.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:50 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks Steve, we are having a grand old time.
We are deep into the Black Hills now. Broken Arrow RV and Horse....
Many horses and horse trailers here, we are 4 miles out of Custer.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:50 AM   #7
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Thanks Steve, we are having a grand old time.
We are deep into the Black Hills now. Broken Arrow RV and Horse....
Many horses and horse trailers here, we are 4 miles out of Custer.
Ozz I checked that CG out and decided against it by the reviews. How is your review on it. We will arrive in Custer on 7/29 for a week and will stay at Beaver Lake CG. If you know anything about that please let me know also.

Thanks
Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:07 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Dave, it was nice, we were parked next to a horse trailer/RV, folks from Oklahoma, I helped them with their RV set-up, really nice folks. The owner is a real cowboy, handlebar mustache and all. I rode around with him in his golf cart helped him fix a door lock. They are like family there, couldn't be nicer. He and his wife bought the C.G. for his retirement, he cares about people there. They had a chuck-wagon dinner, a cowboy sings and cooks dinner, tells stories. It is 4 miles up in the mountain from town, but paved road to there. You must like fire-rings, as everyone has one. It's about 5-10 degrees cooler than Custer up there. It's about 75% Cowboy and Cow-girl, but all of them I met are super friendly. Nice office and shower/laundry areas, many small neat cabins around for non-RV folks.
We bailed after one night because of Sue's asthma, had to get away from the nightly smoke. That is the only bad thing I could see about the place. Don't know about Beaver Lake, but everything is crowded up there, I didn't like the crowds, too dang many people for this recluse... I will look into that C.G. for you.

On edit, reviews looked great for Beaver Lake C.G., couldn't find anything bad about it, have fun there.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:19 AM   #9
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Thanks again Ozz. The fire rings would be a problem for my wife also, asthma too.
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote