Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2018, 05:35 PM   #21
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKassl View Post
Please don't include me in that group!
Jeff knows I’m just giving him grief. No worries 😉

2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 07:24 PM   #22
Jamesb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21011
Just make Montana’s that aren’t over 13’ tall, and Ill trade mine.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:38 PM   #23
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Just switch out the stock a/c units to the low profile units and you will be under 13 foot.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 02:47 AM   #24
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Low Profile ACs have less CFM and the lower air flow means they do not cool as well
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:17 AM   #25
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
I just tell folks don't do High Country's
I see as many complaints about Monatanas as I do HCs. Probably because they are both built by the same “Amish Craftsmen”. 🤔
Bad Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 01:51 PM   #26
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
The HC's are the ones with the leaking gearboxes and duct tape fixes.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:37 PM   #27
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
The HC's are the ones with the leaking gearboxes and duct tape fixes.
i used black duct tape, does that count?
Renegade1LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 01:33 PM   #28
StageCoachDriver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22620
Get to you dealer and get it fixed. The slides may be part of the LCI chassis and covered by the 3 year LCI chassis warranty.

BTW, both LCI and Keystone/Montana and owned by Thor, so it's all in the family.
StageCoachDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:28 PM   #29
SterlingSilver
Established Member

M.O.C. #22445
Got the same gearbox problem on my 2018 HC305RL. Spoke to the dealer and was told "we'll get back to you". Still waiting. E-mailed BAL. Still waiting. About ready to make my own drip pans but suspect the gearboxes were over filled and some leaks out when it gets hot. This means that it may eventually stop. Couldn't care less about the roof as long as it doesn't leak.

This is my first exposure to cable slides. Yes, one of the pulley brackets pulled loose on the wall and all 6 of them were re-enforced. Other than that, I think I like the cable system. Easy to maintain and everything is inside instead of underneath. No holes in the frame for mouse entry. Nothing (except the gearboxes) to leak. Lower weight. I've had every other type of slide system and all have had debilitating issues like hydraulic seal leakage, sticktion problems, failed gears, crowned gear track tubes, Schwintek motors with bad hall effect sensors, etc.
SterlingSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:07 PM   #30
tooth ferry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17209
Cable slides

Jeffba Should I tell people to avoid Montanas because when we bought our HC I saw a Montana Legacy with hydraulic fluid covering everything in the front storage area due to a blown hose?
tooth ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:28 PM   #31
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingSilver View Post
Got the same gearbox problem on my 2018 HC305RL. Spoke to the dealer and was told "we'll get back to you". Still waiting. E-mailed BAL. Still waiting. About ready to make my own drip pans but suspect the gearboxes were over filled and some leaks out when it gets hot. This means that it may eventually stop. Couldn't care less about the roof as long as it doesn't leak.

This is my first exposure to cable slides. Yes, one of the pulley brackets pulled loose on the wall and all 6 of them were re-enforced. Other than that, I think I like the cable system. Easy to maintain and everything is inside instead of underneath. No holes in the frame for mouse entry. Nothing (except the gearboxes) to leak. Lower weight. I've had every other type of slide system and all have had debilitating issues like hydraulic seal leakage, sticktion problems, failed gears, crowned gear track tubes, Schwintek motors with bad hall effect sensors, etc.
I called bal customer service & they sent me 4 drip pans, took an hour to install.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:37 PM   #32
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
I thought this was about leaking gear box's not not witch Montana had better slides! I have both kinds I had more problems with the Hyd leaking on two Diff 5th wheels. I have not one one problem with my cable slides at in 15,000 mils of towing are HC352RL no leaks or cable problems.
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:47 AM   #33
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooth ferry View Post
Jeffba Should I tell people to avoid Montanas because when we bought our HC I saw a Montana Legacy with hydraulic fluid covering everything in the front storage area due to a blown hose?
Was the fix for the blown hose a bandaid?

I had an HC. Slide issue was final straw. Oh and do not get me started on electric levelers.

Proper fix for leaking gearboxes Should be
1. recall issued
2. replace all gearboxes with ones that do not leak
3. replace roof membrane and not patch it.

anything less than that is a bandaid.

Of course I will have a better chance of you putting a quarter under my pillow than that happening.

So that is why I steer folks away from HCs.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:27 AM   #34
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I agree with Jeffba. To me the HC line is the bottom feeder in the Montana line. They cost less simply because they are built with cheaper components. IMHO the cable slide systems are junk in comparison to the hydraulic systems. Are there problems with the hydraulic slides, sure but they are few and far between. All 3 of the units I have had (including the current one) have had all hydraulic slides with no issues. For me just looking at the micky mouse looking cable slide system is enough to never want one.

The manufactures have figured out how to woo people with all the fancy bells and whistles, like in command/led rope lights/fancy finishes etc. whilst cheapening the way the units are constructed.

Its the difference between buying a Chevette vs a Corvette
Old 11-12-2018, 07:16 AM   #35
Fish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22281
I've had my high country since July, been living in it at work most of that time. I've hauled it approx. 300 miles. Home from dealer, then up to refinery when I got called to work. Hooked up to it once and moved it to another site while up there.

No leaking gearboxes ( cleaned my slides of debris just the other day so I've looked), No ductwork problems. No leaks and we've had torrential rain storms.

I've had 2 loose wires, and an interior wall panel (on exterior wall) has a loose portion about 2 inches long in the center of the panel at the joint.

I plan to have these problems fixed by the dealer before we go to Florida.

I don't understand the hate for the High Countries. I see nothing cheap or substandard about it and I looked at fifth wheels for awhile before I bought.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:16 AM   #36
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
I divide issues into 2 catagories. Ones that can be fixed and ones that will haunt you for the rest of the time you own it.

Our HC was at the dealer for 20 weeks getting repaired.
Most like door needing to be replaced power cord end separating, shade bracket and the like are a pain and can be fixed.

Valves hidden and cheap tires, you can throw money (tht yoiu should not have to) to get it right

Bandaid repairs and levelers that work only 20% of the time no matter how close you pre-level it and limit lever stroke to about 8 inches are things that well after awhile one has to say enough is enough.

So if someone asks about HC I will share my story and hopefully steer them away from the headaches I had.

I did not hate HCs just the design and component selection they make.

DW thinks the 373RD has the best kitchen in the Montana family. I think they have done a better job with the floor plan than the 3791RD. But due to the slide and lever issues I would not own one.

If you have one without issues then I am happy for you. But there are too many folks that have had issues like I have to say that I am a one off.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:21 AM   #37
SteveandTerri
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22227
I have a 2017 305RL High Country. It also has the leaking gearboxes (all 3 of them) and roof membrane bubbles. Took it to the local Camping World a month ago under warranty: they contacted Keystone and Keystone authorized them to install gearbox drip pans and replace the slider roof membranes - not just patch them. The work should be performed within the next couple of weeks.

I'm not happy with drip pans either. The gearboxes are defective and should be replaced. The CW Service Advisor said they've repaired at least 3 other Montana's with the same gearbox/roof bubble issue. So far, they've only been authorized to install drip pans under the leaking gearboxes. However, they've always been authorized to replace entire roof membrane. They've never just patched them.

I'll be really interested to see how the repairs come out......
SteveandTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:12 PM   #38
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
I agree with Jeffba. To me the HC line is the bottom feeder in the Montana line. They cost less simply because they are built with cheaper components. IMHO the cable slide systems are junk in comparison to the hydraulic systems. Are there problems with the hydraulic slides, sure but they are few and far between. All 3 of the units I have had (including the current one) have had all hydraulic slides with no issues. For me just looking at the micky mouse looking cable slide system is enough to never want one.

The manufactures have figured out how to woo people with all the fancy bells and whistles, like in command/led rope lights/fancy finishes etc. whilst cheapening the way the units are constructed.

Its the difference between buying a Chevette vs a Corvette
Some people can only afford a Chevette, & are very happy, there is no high end Keystone product, you make it sound like a montana is a prevost. we bought a HC for the floor plan & price point. We were ready to buy a 376 momentum but for the price difference its just wasn't worth it.I look at it this way if I buy a chevette it should still do what it is supposed to do & be warranted the same as if I bought a corvette. When you buy new you should get your moneys worth,regardless of price.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:38 PM   #39
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Sorry, I did not mean to ruffle any feathers with my statements. And you are right, A Montana is not a prevost/marathon/entegra Etc. You are right about price points. However for my $ I would buy a used 2-3 year old well taken care of unit before I would settle for a new lesser quality unit.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:00 PM   #40
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
Sorry, I did not mean to ruffle any feathers with my statements. And you are right, A Montana is not a prevost/marathon/entegra Etc. You are right about price points. However for my $ I would buy a used 2-3 year old well taken care of unit before I would settle for a new lesser quality unit.
Most of the folks on here are not uppity. There are however exceptions to that rule. BUT none of us will be bragging when the million dollar class A diesel pusher with the matching paint scheme enclosed trailer pulls up and the guy drives a Corvette out of the trailer eh??

I bought the HC 381TH for the floor plan period! Besides, I wonder who will turn green with envy when I pull the motorcycle AND the kayaks out of that garage which NONE of the Montana's have!!!! So take that pfffffttttttt........

For me it is all about that basement toy hauler floor plan. If a 5er does not have that then I am not impressed. We use ours to play!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote