Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2006, 02:26 PM   #1
CampingCrazyShirley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6271
Are We the Minority?

Having just joined this wonderful group, and prowling around the forums, I'm feeling lonely We have 3 kids at home still, ages 18, 15 and 10. Are there others out there who can't quite retire yet because of age or still have kids at home...or who are not able to leave their jobs for more than a couple weeks at a time? I'm so jealous We can't wait until the day we can hit the road and be gone for months at a time...or longer! Ahhh...someday I know! Until then, I'll just live vicariously through everyone else!

CampingCrazyShirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 02:28 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
To quote all of the members here at the rally "Your time will come"... I feel the same way, especially when I read through the MOC and read about all the great things our members are doing out there on the road.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 02:34 PM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I think you will find a little bit of everything on the forum.Wife retires in 3 weeks and I retired 6 years ago.Kids are grown and have kids of their own. We have planned for this time for 10 years..Yes your time will come...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 02:40 PM   #4
AZCampinfool
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5430
No, you are not alone. Our kids are only 5 and 2 1/2. That’s why we bought a fiver with bunks, so they can share in the adventure. Our little ones have never even stayed in a hotel. There are several members here with kids still at home. I too read about most here and how they can travel at will and are retired etc. I am looking forward to the day, but it also makes me kind of sad to think about trips without the kids. We have so much fun! I don't ever foresee us becoming full timers once the kids are out of the nest, but definitely snowbirds!!
AZCampinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 02:45 PM   #5
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
Your not alone...
Our kids are a little older than yours but I'm no where near being able to retire. I can afford anything but a day off.
We are just in a position to be able and work on the road while the kids stay at home and tear up... oops, take care of the house.
We've been gone 4 months now. Just ordered my Monty and I cant wait.

Blue
Bluegill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 02:50 PM   #6
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Our youngest is just started 1st year University, Lives on her own now anyways.
Middle of selling our business, then it will be time to travel & play 6 to 8 months of the year,
and maybe go work for some one else 3 or 4 days a week for the other 4 to 6 months a year.
(too young to sit around the house). Then My favorite saying will be........
" Don't phone me if the place catches on fire, phone Him/Her that makes the big bucks".
But, don't wish your life away.... time just flies by, the older you get.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:09 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Traveling around without kids isn't all that bad..are we there yet..are we there yet..Dad the dog threw up ... there's nothing to do here. Can we take that snake home... She making faces at me Dad..Can we leave Joey here Dad..Hey Dad the picnic table is on fire.. Enjoy the times then enjoy the time for yourselves.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:10 PM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Shirley, maybe a minority, but not alone! I've got a 10 year old Tasmanian Devil and a 14 year old girl with Myatonic Dystrophy. She will be with us for a long - long time.

They were the inspiration for the Montana anyway. Never had visions of retiring and hitting the road with this one, rather it is family getaway. The kids ask every weekend if we are going - and usually we are. They love it and so do I. Much rather snuggle into my own sheets and sneek a trip to the refrigerator at midnight than stay in hotels.

When I do retire - its on the road the biggest baddest Montana they make - with 10 slides and 5 axles, maybe even a slide-up second story by then
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:15 PM   #9
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
No need feeling you are alone. I still have 4 - 5 years to go yet. Lets see how many pay checks is that?
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:18 PM   #10
Craig A
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6228
You're not alone. My son is 20 and still has about 5 more years of school to get his PharmD degree. Then I'll still have about 7-12 years before I can retire.
Craig A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:19 PM   #11
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
To all of you younguns.
Yes it was fun camping with the kids, been there, done that. As you get older you will find that you feel you have paid your dues and you want some time for you and your spouse or whatever. One thing you can be sure of is you are making great memories for your children as well as teaching them a lot. My youngest daughter who I tent camped with first in diapers and on through the years is a certified wilderness something or other. She is very nature aware and very responsible. She learned a lot of this from camping. It doesn't matter how you camp (RV, Tent, etc.). They learn responsibility, manners, etc. in any venue. My daughter has a terrific work ethic and she is only 33 - the age we are seeing a lot of young adults with bad work ethics. I feel a lot of this is due to our camping when she was little. My other daughters are great also - don't get me wrong but they didn't get to have this experience. They had others that made them great. We've earned our time, you will have also by the time you get there. In the meantime we all have something to give each other. If you have a baby, let me hold him/her, I miss having babies to hold. Our grandchildren are even grown now. Don't stay away from rallys, etc. because of the children. Most of us are grandparents and love kids. Just as long as you take them home with you. LOL.
Happy trails..............................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:32 PM   #12
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
Rich, that was funny man,
You forgot about this one....

"Dont touch me, DAD HE's TOUCHING Me"
Old 09-18-2006, 03:41 PM   #13
CampingCrazyShirley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6271
It's not we mind traveling with the kids...far from it actually. I guess what I was getting at...and poorly done it appears...is it seems as though there are more people in the MOC who don't have younger kids rather than those of us who have kids. My oldest doesn't go much with as anymore as she seems to have to work most weekends. They all enjoy camping and we love camping with them...we like the camping alone too or with other adults sometimes. Was just wondering if there are a lot of us out there who do have kids/teens still at home. We took two weeks this summer and went to Yellowstone and South Dakota and everyone really got a long well. We had a blast and would do it again. Not that I'm in a hurry by any means, but I know grandkids would be a lot of fun to have along too.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:42 PM   #14
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Bluegill
I'm not touching you! LOL
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:45 PM   #15
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Craig and Cheryl,

We have one that's a senior in college and one that is a "pre-freshman" (I think that means she doesn't know if she's going to take a college class and pass) but for the most part all of our disposable income is being disposed of by others. I have eight years to go, if I want to make it to 30 years and get the largest payout I can, but 25 years is starting to look better. Nevertheless, you're not alone, there are many of us that have to weekend and then do a week here and there. Worst part is coming, putting the Monty in storage for the winter.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:47 PM   #16
5rvers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4327
I too have three kids still at home. The ages are 18, 13, and 5. The oldest is one her first year of college and has a part time job. She still goes camping with us. She is planning on getting a place of her own next year. The 13 year old is now in the 8th grade and the five year old just started kindergarten. I retired from the military three years ago, but had to go back to work. As you can see DW and I have a long way to go before real retirement.
5rvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:49 PM   #17
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Craig and Cheryl,

that's the other thing that I forgot, enjoy them, I so miss going on vacation and camping trips with my girls.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:53 PM   #18
CampingCrazyShirley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6271
I know I'll miss my oldest next year when she's off to Mizzou in Columbia, MO. I'm glad to see I'm not alone out there. I was starting to feel like I shouldn't be on the forum as I/we don't have a lot to contribute just yet. We haven't travelled far, but if anyone wants to know where to camp in Missouri, let me know. I can give you some great places!!!
Old 09-18-2006, 03:59 PM   #19
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
I'm more like a sponge myself, I'm pretty sure I havent contributed much around here since I dont even have my Monty yet. I have tried to absorb as much info from these great people that I can.
So far they have put up with me.

Blue
Old 09-18-2006, 04:03 PM   #20
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Interesting thread. Montana enthusiest cover a wide spectrum of the human growth and development continuum. I book I read says that for everything there is a time and a season. My dad said, "You will never have any money until the kids leave home." He was right. Others may have been more fortunate, but we struggled to git them kids growed up an' educated.

We are pleased to have some time to get to know each other more deeply than ever before. We have an opportunity to do things that previously were not even on our radar screen.

If you can start this earlier and include the kids, as far as I can determine, you are way ahead of the game. Building great experiencies and memories are very precious. There is enough time later to be aware of the aging process.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote