Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2008, 06:00 PM   #1
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Kipor Generator

some of you have indicated that you have the Kipor generator. I am in the process of deciding whether to get two Honda 2000s or the Kipor (4000?). Can somebody please tell me the model number and size they have and whether the power is clean enough for computers, etc?

MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 12:58 AM   #2
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
I have the Kipor 2000. In your case I would get the 2 Honda so mayben just use one part of the time. The Kipor 4000 would be rather heavy to move around. Yes, the power is ok for computers.
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:07 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
We have the Kipor IG3000 (formerly known as the 3500). The reason we selected it was mainly for the electric start feature. I would barely consider it portable since it weighs around 160 pounds dry, but we plan on keeping it in the truck bed permanently. The Kipor 2000 are similar to the Hondas in that they have a parallel kit available but they are pull start. The run time on the 3000 is 15 hours at half load if I remember correctly. Best price I found was around $1250.00 at Tweetys.com with free shipping. Unit started right up out of the box after adding gas and oil and connecting battery. Over-all we are pleased with the features and the cost of the unit. We thought about the bigger unit but the weight convinced me otherwise. They are compatible with all high-end electronics. For additional info you may look at Kipor.com, Ohiokipor.com or Tweetys.com
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:31 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have the Sinemaster KGE3500ti now known as the 3000ti. Completely satisfied. Spec dry weight is 132 lbs. We it mounted in the back of the truck.Kipor is not a new product. It has been in use in other countries for many years but only recently in the USA. Made in China but they copied most of it from Honda Japan.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 03:43 AM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Mike, I was considering generators for my trip to Q and other boondocker sites. I decided on the Honda 2000 due to its easy availability and the fact that there is a Honda dealer in every town, in case something goes wrong. I purchased one locally for $929.00 and will see how this works at Q. If we decide to do more boondocking thne will add the second and the parallel kit. I did discuss Kipor with a previous owner from Q last year. He cranked on it all day and it would not start (a rareity I presume), went down and bought a Honda 2000, put the Kipor in the Honda box and returned it for money back. As a fulltimer, I think the availability aspect is pretty important.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:25 AM   #6
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
I have, as have many others, opted for the two 2000K Hondas based on reliability and availability of repair stations -- knocking on wood -- in 4 years have not needed one. Use my generators hooked together during the warm weather to run the AC, singly in cooler weather for TV and charge the batteries. During recent ice storm electrical outage, ran one unit for 2 plus days to power freezer, refer, and a few other small things in the house. Nary a hiccup. The other advantage of smaller is easy portability; have even used them at night for running projector and DVD player for 'outdoor' movies during a summer block party.

Now, having said that, during the ice storm I did wish I had the larger unit so that I could have powered my home heater but in 15 years, this was the first prolonged power outage we've had. So.....
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:44 AM   #7
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
MAMalody, I purchased the 3500 Kipor a couple years ago and have been very satisfied with it. However, the 3500 weights in at a few lbs more that the 2000 Honda and for a few bucks more, you can get two and parallel them.
As far as getting them worked on if needed, I think any shop would since the Kipor is a carbon copy of the Honda and shares some of the same parts.
I'll stay with the Kipor but you can't go wrong with the Hondas either. Simply a personal choice!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:25 PM   #8
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Thanks for the input. I am leaning toward two Honda's, mainly because of the weight and I don't know if I want to leave a 3500 permanently in my tv. I will make a decision by February and then I am ready for my first trip out the first of March. Any other input?
Old 01-08-2008, 02:18 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You might want to check around if there is a concern about the repair question for the Kipor. Here is what we found out. If you go to a "Honda Dealer" That is the dealer who sales only Honda products he may tell you he is not permitted to service any other brand of generator. A distributorship that sells Honda's as well as other brands will not have that problem. The independent repair service will also not have that problem. As others have stated it is a near carbon copy of the Honda. The common response from the repair shops was.....oh yea..it is just a yellow Honda.. Now the 3000/3500 is heavy.. 132lbs dry . As we recall two Honda 2000's with the parallel kit will weigh in at about 90lbs or so. We chose the Kipor because it was far less expensive (at the time) and would run the A/C with no problem. We do keep it in the back of the LB Ford, right side at the tailgate and have never needed to remove it to use it. The two Honda's are more convenient but you still need to find a place to store them. What ever suits your needs best will be the corrrect choice.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:35 AM   #10
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I apologize for mis-representing the weight of the Kipor IG3000. Rich is correct on the dry weight. Wet weight is approximately 150-160 pounds allowing for a full tank of 3.4 gallons of gasoline.
Bingo
On edit: and definitely agree that it is a personal choice. We are happy with our selection and trust you will be with yours.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:02 AM   #11
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
After much research I decided on the Kipor 3000. My other idea was 2 Honda 2000's. I found the Honda 2000 is easier to start, this was verified by a friend of ours who has an RV repair shop and sells Kipors. He even said that if I wanted 2 2000's to go with the Honda and look at the dealers adds in Trailer Life for the best deal, about $850 including delivery. As I stated in another thread I went with the Kipor based on Cost vs Performance. Only problem I have found is that when I put it in the truck bed with the wheels on the generator the fuel cap sticks about 2" above the side of the truck.
jretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:45 AM   #12
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Jim,
Isn't the Kipor electric start and the Honda pull start??? Just curious as to how a pull start can be easier. Our decision for the electric start revolved (pun??) around double bad backs that I did not feel needed to be aggravated by pull starting generators. Again personal choice based on personal circumstances. If the small Honda's are available with electric start, I may have done it differently.
Bingo
Old 01-08-2008, 05:25 PM   #13
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
I appreciate all the info. One of the concerns I had was getting the generator in and out of the truck. I wasn't sure that I wanted to run a power cord 35 feet next to my 5er. I was also not sure about the exhaust coming into the bedroom...but that may be a false concern based no airflow. I use a bed cover and if I got a Kipor wanted to be able to use the cover with the generator in the bed. One of the postings indicated with the wheels it stuck 2" above the bedrails. I would have to measure to see if my rails were the same height, but that is another concern I had.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:43 PM   #14
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
Bingo, I meant to say the Honda 2000 was easier to start than the Kipor 2000, both of which are pull start.

Mike, With the wheel kit off it sets level with my side rails and with them on it is above the side rails. Not sure which way I will leave it I still have enough clearance but I think I would be more comfortable with the wheels off, I'll still have to lift it out of the truck bed either way.
jretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 02:42 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
With the wheel off the Kipor sets in the rear of the truck with a cover. It is more a stable with the wheels off. We rarely take it off the truck but have a couple of leveling boards that we use for a makeshift ramp and Helen and I can handle that.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:25 AM   #16
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
Mine came with two bases to anchor it on the P/U bed or other surface. No problem fitting under the bed cover with wheels off.
Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 02:37 PM   #17
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
I also have Kipor and have left wheel kit on. I put it inside door of Monty in an old Doggie kennel tray slightly elevated on 2x4's to prevent rolling while traveling to NASCAR or Boondock location. I then carry it out while DW yells at me to stop being a hero (hence "noneck" nickname)...and chain it under RV (ahhh, no, not my DW the Kipor).
As mentioned with wheel kit on it was too high to sit in truck bed...alternative was to pull them but worried that would reduce air-flow which circulates in/out from underneath.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 06:18 PM   #18
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Can somebody give me the measurements with and without wheels?

Old 01-10-2008, 01:53 AM   #19
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Mike,
If nobody gets the measurements today for you, I will post them this evening when I get home. Mine is in the garage currently.
Bingo
Old 01-10-2008, 05:10 AM   #20
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
Just purchased an '05 Mountaineer and miss the genny from our toy hauler. Most of you seem to like the Kipor and I was thinking about a 3000. Is there different models, are they all electric start and can they be ran in the rain.
I will probably have more questions but this should get me started.
Thanks in advance

Ray
jackandh2o is offline   Reply With Quote