Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2004, 08:47 AM   #1
Montana_1774
Established Member

M.O.C. #1774
Cable/Satellite connection

I don't know how the inside connections are on the Montana's,so you'll may not be able to help me. But here goes; we have a 328 Mountaineer. On the inside there are three connection points for cable/satellite. Two of them are linked together with a 75ohms cable, leaving one contact available. I have tried every conceivable connection (except the correct one) and still can't get the satellite system connected. Also; when using cable tv, the reception is very poor. Anyone else experience this problem?

By the way trailer leaks on both downstair slides.

Montana_1774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 10:25 AM   #2
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Bobby, I cannot help you with your cable/satellite problem but I know that someone will be along soon that can answer your questions. I am sorry that your slides are leaking, do a search here you will find a few fixes that worked for some of the other members.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 12:09 PM   #3
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Bobby,

The satelite receiver puts 12V on the line going to the antenna. So when you hook up your receiver take the coax off the Sat antenna and check for the 12vDC. If you don't have the 12vdc The sat will not work.

The combo you want is when you can get the 12V. No 12V, No Sat.

Mine is an older Montana so I run new lines for my rooftop Sat antenna and run the lines to the living room and bedroom. The regular TV cable line will not work with the SAT.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 02:42 PM   #4
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Bobby,

Can't help with satellite problem, but thought I'd mention when we first got our Montana it had terrible TV reception. I found the coax reversed at the back of the 12v booster switch. Good luck!
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 04:31 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bobby, I can't help you with the satellite tv, either. If Searcher's solution doesnt' end up helping you, make sure you go into the tv setup and set it to be on cable rather than antenna. If your tv is like yours that will make a world of difference. Of course, when on antenna you have to switch it back. You'd think it would be smarter than that...
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 04:51 PM   #6
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
I drilled a hole thru the side of our 5ver where it would be inside of cabinet where the reciever was & mounted a connection box for the satellite. I left the TV in bedroom hooked to the crank up ant. Works good.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 05:07 PM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Bobby,
We have the same set up. Still haven't determined why the loop but we disconnected the bottom one and screwed the receiver for Direct TV into that connection and it worked first try. We don't have cable so haven't done anything with that. For the receiver in the bedroom we pulled the cable thru the window using the flat gismo you can buy at camping world so you can then close the window.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 06:36 PM   #8
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Thanks for the posting. Some good ideas. Happyrving....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 03:07 AM   #9
sectres
Established Member

M.O.C. #1643
I have a 318BHS Mountaineer and it has the same setup you have. The bottom connection is the input to your satellite receiver and the top one is the output to your TV. Make sure you do not have your power booster on for for TV antenna. If just using cable just loop top and bottom together. Our unit came in with the loop and was that way when you did the walk thru.
sectres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 07:13 AM   #10
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
We have a 2005 327RKS and we too have the loop. We have one output jack on the left which is for TV and has the booster button on it. Then we have a plate to the right with two output jacks that has a loop coax wire connecting the two jacks together. This is what we found works very well for us. The set up for the two looped outputs are: Connect your TV to the top output if you are hooked directly to landline cable; if using a satellite dish hook the output from the bottom jack to your satellite receiver and the TV to the Out-to-TV output jack on the back of the satellite receiver box. If just running local TV with rooftop antenna hook the TV to the single output jack that has the booster on it. The setup may be different on other models but we found that the above works very well for us on our 327RKS. We have used it in each of the above configurations with no problems.

Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island FL
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 02:26 AM   #11
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
We added another outlet on the outside of the unit to enable us to hook up two receivers. One in the LR and one in the bedroom. We left the roof top antenna hookup alone and use it also.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 04:26 PM   #12
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We thought about putting an outlet right beside the bedroom but are a little relucant to screw anything into the outside since this is not wood framed. We have a really neat flag thingey that rolls up and the cover flips around (campout world). We had one on our other unit but could get into wood on it. How did you attach it?
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 03:38 AM   #13
Montana_1882
Established Member

M.O.C. #1882
This is how I have mine run.
I also have the single connector with the boost and another connector with two outlets. The bottom outlet is the sat. inlet that connects to the back of the receiver. I used the out to tv from the back of the receiver to go back to the top outlet. This runs the signal to the bedroom tv. I then used RCA jacks from the back of the receiver to the living room tv. I also connected a cable from the boosted antenna outlet to the cable connection on the back of the living room tv and mine works perfectly using the video 1 for sat. tv and the regular cable for antenna stations. Now for the bedroom, I only have the one cable outlet to connect to the tv. The only hitch I have is when I want to watch local channels, the booster has to be on, when I want to watch sat. the booster has to be off and tv on channel 4. I purchased a remote signal transmitter at WalMart for $30 and can be in the bedroom and change channels on the sat. receiver that is in the living room. Very easy setup unless you want to have 2 receivers to be able to watch different programs on each tv.
Now I want to install an outlet on the outside of the RV under the awning for tailgating. Right now I have a splitter on the bedroom line and run it through the laundry chute and out the compartment door to connect the outside tv. The good thing is that the remote signal transmitter goes through walls which enables me to change channels outside on the receiver in the living room. It's a good thing my wife likes sports or she would just be out of luck this time of year. Go DOGS!
Montana_1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 06:41 AM   #14
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
You can attach to the aluminum frame - you may wind up "tapping" the hole to add threads for a "machine screw" (flat bottom) rather than a wood screw (pointed bottom). You can also purchase "self tapping" screws. They are "sheet metal" screws that look similar to a wood screw, but the end has no threads and an arrowhead looking point that actually bores into the metal. I added some inside coat racks to the aluminum frame facings of the slide out using wood screws - I drilled the pilot holes first and then realized I was in the aluminum. I just ran a little larger drill through it - almost the same diameter as the screw threads - and forced that puppy in there ! I wouldn't recommend that though - I did twist off a couple of heads first !!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote