Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2005, 08:44 PM   #1
djdecock
Established Member

M.O.C. #3220
General Discussion

We are wondering if anyone has installed a small 110V. deep freeze in the entry closet. We'd like to take our own meat with us and put a deep freeze in place of a washer/dryer. If you have put one in, what brand did you find that would fit in that space? Thanks for any information you might be able to give us.

Joan & Dick DeCock
Forsyth MT

2005 Ford F350 4x4, dually diesel pickup
2005 3475RL Montana-3 slides

djdecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 12:30 AM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Several folks have done something similar to what you're suggesting. I know Dave Anderson has a moderate sized freezer in his rig. And I remember from the Rally in Bremen last year that at least one person had installed a freezer like you're talking about. It is doable. Can be very practicable. I'm sure you'll get a lively discussion going on this issue. Good luck and Happy Travels.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 02:43 AM   #3
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We wished that we had a small freezer when we were up in Alaska and catching salmon and halibut. The freezer could have paid for itself by saving the fees to ship all that fish back to family members. It's a handy thing to have. We could have also frozen apple pies from the harvest in Okanagan Valley. Oh, don't get me started. It's a great idea. Ice cream, popscicles....
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 10:05 AM   #4
djdecock
Established Member

M.O.C. #3220
Thanks for the information! We are going to take our measurements and start looking for a small freezer before we leave for the Tucson area for a couple months. I feel we can always do the laundry in a laundry mat and the freezer would be great for all kinds of things along with our own beef. I will keep you all posted on what we find.
Joan and Dick DeCock
Forsyth MT
2005 Ford F350 4x4, Turbo Diesel,Extended Cab, Dually.
2005 3475RL Montana with 3 slideouts.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:04 PM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Great! I'd appreciate having that information as I'm torn between using the space for a freezer or a W/D.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:55 PM   #6
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
I have been thinking about this one, kinda small but will fit either in the w/d area or under the computer desk. Should double the freezer capacity of your trailer.

http://store.gritell.com/suupfr16cuuf.html
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 04:04 AM   #7
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
We carried a small freezer in th washer/dryer compartment of our 3295RK but have since discarded it in a weight reduction effort. Please be aware that if you put one in a closet you need to leave the door open a bit or provide a vent as these things throw off a lot of heat.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 06:05 PM   #8
djdecock
Established Member

M.O.C. #3220
Updating our request for info in putting a freezer in the washer/dryer area of the entry closet. We looked through 5 large stores to find one to fit the inside measurements of the entry closet to no avail. If you could find one small enough it would be so tight that it wouldn't be able to receive enough air circulation. We compromised and bought a Franklin Chef Refrigerator/Freezer at Wal-Mart,instead for $187. It is black-sided with a stainless steel front and will double the freezer space we have, as well as, give us more refrigerator space. It was 20" deep and 18" wide by 45" tall and leaves enough room to still store our fold-flat step ladder beside it. We raised the wire shelf by moving up the back screws and placing the bottom set in the top holes and drilling a new hole for the top ones, and it is still useful. It's a very attractive unit, and we'll be glad to have our own beef with us.

Joan and Dick DeCock
Forsyth MT 59327

2005 3475RL Montana
2005 F350 Ford 4x4, Dually, Extended Cab,Diesel
Old 10-30-2005, 08:04 PM   #9
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Sound like a nice unit. Hope it works for you and you are able to enjoy your travels more. Sound like a dorm siz fridge may be in order for any long trips where we may want to take along extra food.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 11:55 PM   #10
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
That sounds like an even better solution, Joan and Dick. I can always use more refrigerator space.
As for ventilation, do the louvered doors give enough air flow?

And another thing I hadn't thought of, Ron and Melinda, is that you can take it in and out as desired. Even if you're fulltiming, you can connect it outside while stationary, if you need room in the closet during your stay.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:01 AM   #11
djdecock
Established Member

M.O.C. #3220
Ron, Melinda and Judy in answer to your questions this is a fridge and good size freezer combination and has a top and bottom door. It is taller than a dorm fridge as they don't usually have a freezer in them.Ventilation is great as there is room all the way around it and it's not crowded--plus you have the ventilated doors. I liked not loosing the use of the two white wire shelves as well. We put our coats in the tall closet in the bedroom. I wouldn't put it outside as the unit has such a nice finish. We're very happy with out purchase. Happy trails.

Joan and Dick DeCock
Forsyth MT
2005 3475RL with three slides
2005 F350 Ford 4x4, Extended cab, Dually Diesel