Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 08:29 AM   #21
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Trash has become a blight on our planet and unfortunately, most of it now is plastics. These plastics have a half like similar to U-235 with styrofoam even longer. Our town has single stream recycling plus garbage and a separate set of bins for demolition debris. There are at least 3 separate trash pick up companies for those that don't, want to make a trip to the transfer staion. And trash still lines the roads with filtered (a plastic) cigarette butts leading the way .

This isn't a political problem but a problem where people wont take personal responsibility and seems to be at least endemic for the US. But with that said - consider a trip to a 'garden country like Egypt or Colombia or Brazil which will apall your cleanliness sensitivies

2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Old 10-11-2018, 01:41 PM   #22
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
I was truly avoiding coming back to this thread but I am going to try to take a constructive path.

I love this country warts and all. Rather than complain about a problem do something about it. Run for office, volunteer, engage civically in your community. I will commit to leaving a place as good if not better regarding trash when I leave. Maybe others on this thread would commit to the same. That is how movements get started. Granted we shouldn't need a movement to clean up behind ourselves but clearly we do.

So now that we have that out of the way how to spread that responsiblity that some of us have clearly missed in our upbringing. Well calling people names or worse yet referring to their children (regardless of how old they are) as brats is not the way to get it done. No faster way to achieve DEFCON1 then to tell some stranger that their kids are brats. Remember that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. Think globally but act locally. I will do my part and hopefully someone else will join in and do theirs. Before you know it we are making a change.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:02 PM   #23
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
We try to take out more than we bring in. Always will bend down to grab items blowing around a parking lot.

I just can’t believe that people will walk by items on the ground, just step over them or walk around them??
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:02 AM   #24
packnrat
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21805
how about all the filters that smokers dump on the ground?

they will never decompose.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:37 AM   #25
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
This post sounds way to political for this forum.
You are correct, so let's get it back on "sitting around the campfire". Anytime we are in a slot at any campground, I ALWAYS walk around and pick up even the smallest pieces of debris (cig butts, small wrappers, things that are almost too small to even notice). I make any campground cleaner when we leave than when we arrived. As to the OP, by going back to glass "for deposit" containers for most everything, we could help reduce the plastic fouling up our world. Most stuff could be sold in cardboard & paper containers then transferred to permanent glass when arrive at home. I say "most" but with all the space age materials to retard spoilage it may never be viable for sure. Plastic can be reduced by rethinking how stuff is packaged. Go back to all returnable deposit bottles. Even liquor and wine, milk and juice. Everything. Force people to want to return them. And yes, it will cost more to handle.
Old 10-20-2018, 02:29 AM   #26
miton 5052
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21569
We are Park Hosts at one of the more popular parks in Texas,I see a big improvement over some of the private parks, my biggest gripe is cigarette buts and tops off the plastic bottles
Old 10-20-2018, 09:04 AM   #27
Mel B.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19469
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
We live in the Blueridge Mountains of Va. We are hunters. There was a guy who worked in the shop who said people could carry a full beer can up the mountain but couldn’t carry an empty one down the mountain. I think he was on to something. You can go up the most remote mountain here and find trash someone has left. WHY!
Lynwood
Two reasons, I'm not sure with the order
LAZY
STUPID

I come from a family of hunters, When I was 10 years old my dad and I were sitting way up on a mountain deer hunting. After a few hours I pulled out a candy bar and ate it. When I finished I buried the wrapper under a little dirt and a rock. When I was done my dad said, do you think this place is beautiful? I said yes, he said would you like to see garbage all around here? I said no, he said then pick up the candy wrapper! If you pack it in you pack it out. That was all it took. I've lived by that philosophy the rest of my life. Parents don't care like they used to!
Old 10-20-2018, 09:23 AM   #28
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Think about it. An empty beer can and a candy wrapper is a lot lighter than a full beer can and a candy bar.
Lynwood
Old 01-26-2019, 09:49 AM   #29
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
I took the family and one daughters boyfriend hiking in Custer State park this past fall, my daughters are 19 & 20. We were walking up a trail and my older daughter bent down and picked up a an empty juice box lying on the trail and put it in her backpack, Boyfriend asked what was with that? She said Dad always taught us to pick up others trash on the trail, if we dont, who will.

we've been hikers/campers our whole life and have always done this, so glad my children live by the same values

The "Black Pearl"-2017 3731FL Legacy Package
2017 F-450 Platinum, 6.7 PSD
Old 01-26-2019, 10:15 AM   #30
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Maybe I am crazy but the issue with trash on the ground seems to be just another symptom of how kids are raised today in general.

Gone are the days when kids were taught to respect others, have good manners and just in general be good citizens. Many in this nation have decided that the core values that have always driven us to be better are now somehow wrong.

I don't think that observation is any more political than any of the rest of the posts in this thread. Its just a fact that society has changed and there are consequences.

I was taught from day one to pick up after myself and I am hard on my own kids and now grandkids about the same thing. I teach them that dropping a candy wrapper on the ground is not just messy but a sign of disrespect for other people! But sadly when I suggest that other people should be teaching their kids the same lesson somehow I am portrayed as a villain? Sorry folks sometimes leading by example doesn't cut it! I think shaming folks is necessary on occasion and I for one am not shy to do so.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
Old 01-26-2019, 12:06 PM   #31
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
I don't think that kids today are any less environmentally responsible than we or our parents were when we were young. In fact I think that they are more environmentally responsible, if for no other reason than its a much more talked about issue now than ever before. There is so many more people today than there was 50 or 75 years ago that even if the percentage of people littering is smaller the total amount of litter is larger. Think about it, when we were young we didn't have as much to litter with. There wasn't a convinince store on every corner to buy a snack in a wrapper or a coke in a paper or styrofoam cup with a lid and a straw. Not to mention that we have much more disposable income today to indulge in such. Liquids came in bottles, not because of the environment, but because waxed cardboard and plastic containers weren't available. Today nearly everything we buy is disposable including some high ticket items that shouldn't be. If young kids today are littering than its because some of our generation didn't leave a big enough impression on our children so that they would follow suite with their own. With the population expanding every second, we need now more than ever to get a handle on this delema!
Old 01-26-2019, 02:17 PM   #32
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Somewhere in the world there is a woman having a baby every second. We need to find her and stop her.

Sorry just to had to do it.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
Old 01-26-2019, 03:20 PM   #33
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
Wayne, you're going to have to work quickly. The worldwide birth rate is actually approximately 4.1 per second
Old 01-26-2019, 06:10 PM   #34
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
But, But I remember trash on the ground 30/40 years ago.Nothing has changed.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:32 PM   #35
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
"cur·mudg·eon"
Old 01-27-2019, 05:09 AM   #36
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Trash

I usually pick up cig butts and bits of trash at the camp spot we are in.

I remember there was lots of trash on the highways. One time, maybe 2nd grade, me and my freinds were on bicycles and we found a girlie magazine on the side of the Jacksonville highway. Then Ladybird Johnson started her "clean up the trash and beautify the highways" program and I think things are better now...have not found a girlie magazine since.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Old 01-27-2019, 10:58 AM   #37
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
Maybe I am crazy but the issue with trash on the ground seems to be just another symptom of how kids are raised today in general.
Maybe so, maybe not. I tend to think the younger generation is more environmentally aware than us old folks.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:11 AM   #38
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
People generally do the right thing, when they are being watched and held accountable. Just take a look at some of the national parks during the government shut down. TRASH and DESECRATION abound. So much for leaving a place nicer than you found it. No one is watching, lets cut down this hundred year old cactus. No one is watching, lets take a dump in the fire ring. No one is watching, lets tear up this trail.
HUMANS !

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
Old 01-27-2019, 12:05 PM   #39
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
mtlakejim:.... Before you accuse "treehuggers" or "environmental terrorists", both inflammatory terms in their own right, of pushing to end paper bags perhaps you should do more fact finding to support such a claim.

In aggregate, whether its paper or plastic the total environmental impact is similar, it takes energy to make both, it takes resources to make both, it takes transportation to deliver products to end users... all these things add to the problem. The real solution is to use less of all those things... less packaging, more efficient processes, and most importantly less consumption... these things will reduce the trash and the waste associated with it. We live in a throwaway society.. that must change or it will all be for not.

Soak box being put away.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
Old 01-27-2019, 12:38 PM   #40
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Snickers bars for everyone!!
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
Closed Thread