Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-25-2018, 02:03 PM   #28
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Ford uses compacted graphite iron in their 6.7 Diesel engine and 2.7 Ecoboost and new 3 L Diesel. Ram uses it in thsir 3 L Diesel. I think it’s Kenworth that uses it in their Diesel trucks. BMW makes some engines out of it, I think.
The reason everybody doesn’t use it is because special Machine Tools are needed. The cutting tools must be much better for CGI than cast iron. You can’t just change cutting tools. The machines haft to be much better at the cost of tens of millions of dollars. CGI blocks are cast with thinner walls so you don’t decide one day to change to CGI. CGI has been around for decades but we couldn’t machine it. The old way of machineing it a boring tool would last maybe one cylinder the it would haft to be changed. With new grades of carbide and more important coatings and many cutters on a boring bar along with slower speeds and feeds you are able to now make engines out of CGI.
The advantages of CGI are longer wear, less vibration, less noise and lighter weight.
I would suspect as machine tools and new engines are designed every body will go to CGI engines. It’s just a better block material.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote