Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2005, 04:39 PM   #1
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Natchez Trace - thanks to MOC and specifically

Special Thanks to Bill and Ann and other MOC members who put us onto the Nacthez Trace Parkway.

OOOEEEE, what a ride! It was extra nice when we hit it this week, because the dogwoods were peak bloom!

Have to say that has to be the most enjoyable and easy driving we have done in a VERY long time! Got on at Jackson Mississippi and off in Nashville. Wish we had been able to take longer and stop and explore more. We will be back sometime, just to do that, take longer and explore more!

Thanks again, we had a grand time driving the Trace!

Carol & Al

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 01:35 AM   #2
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
We knew you would enjoy it. We are going to do it again also. Nicest drive we have had in a long time. Next time we meet we will give you another route which is quite pleasant.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 03:22 AM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Oh, great Bill and Ann,

We love suggestions, some of our most enjoyable trips have been the result of suggestions!

Again, thanks!

Carol
Old 04-18-2005, 05:35 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Carol, you're starting to understand why we try to avoid interstates in favor of US highways! We've only done a few miles of the Natchez Trace but someday I want to do far more of it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 07:48 AM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Steve, I have mixed emotions about staying off the interstates. Sometimes, even tho Al is retired, we need to make tracks, and the I system is usually it. We took 281 north from McAllen to Fredericksburg, NICE ride. Took 281 north from Fredericksburg and then over to Ft Worth, again, nice ride, but long, slowing down for all the little burgs. Did find a great barbeque place to eat lunch tho! OHHH, man, it was GOOD!

Natchez Trace is special, NO stops, almost NO slow downs, scenic does not describe it, 50 MPH and NO traffic to speak off, easy easy driving. IF, all the back roads were like this we would be in hog heaven and never see the I system again. I'll post later about I 65 and I 71 on our way home the other day. Always interesting, not fun, but interesting.

OH, and if all the back roads were as smooth as the Trace, we would never go near a I system road again either. Sadly, the secondary roads are frequently almost as bad as the I system roads. NOTE the word, ALMOST!

Carol
Old 04-18-2005, 09:54 AM   #6
palebluedot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #36
Al,
Someday you have to take the entire trip from New Orleans to Nashville in the springtime on a motorcycle with the wind in your face and blue skies above - don't get any better.
palebluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 10:43 AM   #7
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
palebluedot

He's got to have a bike first!

Do you wear a mask and helmet or do you just pick the bugs out of your teeth?? I am thinking of all those bugs on the nose of Montana and the front of GM that we have been trying to wash off for 2 days!

So, back to the question from another thread, HOW do we get rid of the stains from those nasty dead critters???

Carol
Old 04-18-2005, 04:48 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Carol, we've found just the opposite. Most of the US highways we've used are far smoother and far less traffic than the interstates. In some states that's definitely not true but it has been for most of the ones we've used. We kinda like going through the little burgs so long as they're not too close together. On the east coast, along the actual coast, that's been a problem. Usually the distance is shorter (not always) on the US highways so the slowdowns pretty much even out the travel time. But not always. We're usually not doing more than 200-250 miles per day. However, if we need to "make tracks", as you say, we also jump on the interstates. If things go as scheduled in late May, we'll have one day to make 620 miles. Guaranteed we'll be on interstates most of the way and our speed will be 70mph, not our usual 60-62. Mileage will likely suffer but we have a family commitment (folks' 60th anniversary) 120 miles west of Campus RV Park so it will be imperative we do that journey in one day. I have done that same trip in one day (actually it was 750 miles from Goshen to Topeka, KS, by myself) and we did an 800 mile day once also. Both were when we were working and were usually in a bigger hurry than we are now. I do understand the difference between needing to get somewhere quickly and having time to relax and enjoy the trip. For some situations you can't beat the interstates.
Old 04-18-2005, 04:57 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Another route I think you'd enjoy, towing or not, is US 441 north/south through the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Much of this road is alongside a mountain river with lots of whitewater, ripples, etc. And beautiful mountains. I don't know the percent grade but it's a long one up, in either direction. Something like 13 miles or 16 miles, then the same distance down the other side. What a gorgeous drive, though. We've not towed through here but it's a main route to Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg and we see a lot of RV's using this route. We've driven this several times going to various destinations within the park and are awed each time. If time, stop and enjoy the beautiful scenery at the many pullovers and other stops. The only downside is traffic through Pigeon Forge.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:08 AM   #10
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Al and Carol: We, like Steve and Vicki, travel don't travel the Interstates. We never hit a big city in 2500 miles it takes us to get home. We went back through Goshen on the way home and just touched Missouri. The route wasn't any longer in mileage. We plan on going down to Tx. in the fall the same way.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 02:03 AM   #11
palebluedot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #36
Steve,
While you are in the Smokies,(if you haven't already) take a day trip over to Tellico Plains and take the "Cherohala Skyway". When you get to the east end, turn left on highway 129 and travel the "Tail of the Dragon". Then take the "Foothills Parkway" back to Pigeon Forge. Be sure to carry the ice chest and a bag of sandwiches, not many watering holes through this area. It's very senic but twisty through the Dragon.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:29 AM   #12
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Steve,

As far as my comment about the bummy roads, I think it just depends, there are a lot of the side roads, US Highways and State roads that are pretty smooth. Seems we find a lot of rough pavement coming into and leaving towns, and sometimes right in towns. Then there are always the fun railroad track encounters. You remember our story about the large almost full bottle of Dawn jumping right out of the kitchen sink on the way from McHenry County Illinois to the Rally last fall. That run was done all on state roads, etc. I suspect it was the RR tracks, but not positive.

The other day I was driving, the only way to get OUT of a gas station was to go the wrong way, as in heading back to where we had already been, not heading to where we were going). We found a neighborhood to turn around in, down one street, hang a right, hang a second right and now we are going the correct direction. At the end of the first street was a small cavern, and it was IN the street. In order to make the wide turn I had to go THROUGH that cavern with the truck tire, missed it with the Montana tires. Even going 2 MPH, it was a bit of a jolt, lets say it was a serious bump!

I think I judge how smooth the road was by my kitchen. Even AFTER the improvements, including the Isolator, I can tell you when the roads have been bad, the dishes still move a bit! It is hard to describe this, but I have had similar movement of dishes on both side roads and I roads this winter. That said, with the exception of ONE particularly bad day, on a I road, the dish dance is so significantly less that we still open the kitchen cabinet doors and look and stare in amazement when they have not moved or moved so little!

I can tell you this, this couple will NEVER have any kind of 5th wheel, Montana, Cambridge, whatever, WITHOUT having some kind of air hitch or Isolator (use your own brand name) again! EVER!! Not pulling any 5er even ONE mile without air hitch or pin! After watching the Isolator in action for 3 months, I can tell you it is an amazing site! Watching it make Montana float above the truck is so awesome!

Anyway, We keep talking about adding more side roads to our tours, then something forces us onto the I roads. Oh, well, at least we are going,and that is a good thing, even if we do have to use the I roads!

Carol

P.S. As far as 441 over the Great Smokies and into Cherokee NC, we have driven that one many many times. Got to tell you tho, I don't think we would do it hauling Montana. Now, if you are talking the section between Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, it is FAB!! again, having traveled it many times. That section is doable with Montana.

palebluedot, as many times as we have been to the GSNP, I have to say, we have not done your prescribed route, will have to mark it, it sounds FAB!
Old 04-19-2005, 06:53 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
No, I meant the stretch through the park itself. I see lots of RV's coming across there but it is a long climb. Sounds like we've had some different experiences as to roads, but this is a big country so that will happen. We've found most US roads far smoother than most Interstates. That's not true everywhere, though. We liked the drive through the hill country in Texas, basically the same route you took. So I guess this is like everything else, whatever works. There are times we take interstates. We did that for a big stretch on our way here because we decided to make it a two-day drive instead of three. The way to do that is frequently interstates.

We do get a little movement of dishes on really rough roads but I sure wonder why yours is so much more movement than ours, or was prior to your hitch change. I guess that will always remain a mystery.

What's the latest on Al's mother?
Old 04-19-2005, 07:30 AM   #14
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Steve,

I think it is: each individual has a different experience, it is what makes RVing such an interesting and challenging sport! HA HA

Al's mom is still in a great deal of pain and they are doing more and more tests. We are very concerned, now that he is down there we might learn more, although he has been talking to the nurses and the doctor at least once a day. He talked to her on the phone a lot too, she was in pretty good spirits the other day, but the last couple of days seems to be uncomfortable. So, we are continuing to pray a lot.

Carol

Do you mean the stretch that goes up to Newfound Gap??? Yikes, my map says that is about 5,000 above sea level. GULP, we wish them luck, we will take the long road around, have seen what can happen to a RV taken up there. Saw one that crashed and burned, really. Sickening to see.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:20 PM   #15
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
We go to Pigeon Forge several times each year and we always take US 441 from Cherokee, NC through the Great Smokey Mountains NP. No problems pulling our 35' TT through there.

Steve,
If you and Vicki haven't made it to Cades Cove yet, you must!! Try to start the drive an hour or so before sunset. You will see lots of deer, bears, turkeys, as well as the mountain settlement of Cades Cove much as it was when the GSMNP was formed in the 30's which really hadn't changed from the turn of the 20th century. There's a nice picnic area for day use right by the campground and stables. Pack a picnic and make an afternoon of it.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 03:48 PM   #16
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Lamar & Debbie

My hats off to you. After Al and I saw what happened to a rig or two on 441, we just decided that was a route we could do without. I stand in awe!

Oh, and Cades Cove is wonderful isn't it?? One night we drove through there, and I think I stopped counting deer after the first 400! Al and our youngest son took a ride on some of those horses. They really enjoyed the ride!

Carol
Old 04-19-2005, 05:06 PM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Carol, it's actually about 6500 feet there were the road turns off to Clingman's Dome, if I recall. Clingman's Dome is over 6600 feet. We've towed our Montana to 11,16x feet over Vail Pass in Colorado. Really not a problem. 441 is good road and plenty of clearance for towing. I wouldn't give it a second thought except maybe during height of the tourist season when there will be lots of traffic. It's sure a beautiful drive.

Lamar & Debbie, we've been to Cades Cove several times. That was the first area we went to and we had to go back a couple more times just to get clear through everything. And we have yet to hike to Abrams Falls. That's on our list. It took us three afternoons to finish the loop itself plus all the historical sites on that loop. We also went back just before sunset hoping to see bears, but no luck. A ranger told us it's a mite early yet. Might be some male bears but only a few of them are out. Hopefully we'll see some before we leave. Tonight, again just before sunset we drove the Roaring Forks Motor Nature Trail for the second time, then drove up to the Chimneys Picnic Area, as that's reputed to be frequented by bears (and the sign there attests to that). Again, no luck. We've hiked to several of the falls and have a few more to do yet. Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. We are really enjoying this place.

We will not be able to go to Cades Cove this Friday. President Bush will be there. So we'll be in the other end of the park as I'm sure Cades Cove will be off limits while he's there.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:23 PM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by palebluedot

Steve,
While you are in the Smokies,(if you haven't already) take a day trip over to Tellico Plains and take the "Cherohala Skyway". When you get to the east end, turn left on highway 129 and travel the "Tail of the Dragon". Then take the "Foothills Parkway" back to Pigeon Forge. Be sure to carry the ice chest and a bag of sandwiches, not many watering holes through this area. It's very senic but twisty through the Dragon.
Palebluedot, thanks for that. Is the Cherohala Skyway the road built by the Parks Dept? Or maybe that's the Tail of the Dragon? We were told about this road built by the Parks Dept. A ranger at the visitor center suggested it. He said we will see almost no traffic on that beautiful drive. We're planning to take that route as we go down to Unicoi SP in GA this Friday to meet Wordsmith and family. I just dug out the map where I had this marked by the ranger. The roads he marked are state highways 143, then 165 to Tellico Plains. That's marked as the Cherohala Skyway, so we are planning to drive that. I don't see anything on the map marked "Tail of the Dragon" but I see where 129 runs from the east end of the other road. We'll be coming down 441 to Cherokee so will probably do this stretch first, then over to the Skyway. Thanks for the tip. Friday is going to be a great day and evening. We'll be driving home from Unicoi SP in the dark, though, so will look for the most direct route with the straightest roads (if any of those exist around here!).
Old 04-19-2005, 05:56 PM   #19
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Steve,

It ain't the altitude per se, it's the road that makes it out of our comfort level. One hairpin turn too many for us!

KKK, got to ask, why is the President gonna be in Cade's Cove??

OH, do try to get to Abrams Falls, it was great!
Old 04-20-2005, 08:07 AM   #20
palebluedot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #36
Steve,
I don't know who built these roads, but you are probably referring to the Skyway. The "Tail of the Dragon" is that section of highway 129 north of highway 143 for about 15 miles. You will not find it on a map labled as such. This section is a.k.a "Deal's Gap". I think there are over 300 plus 90 degree turns in about a 10 miles, so don't try pulling the 5er through it. It is a motorbiker's utopia. Not many tourist know of the Cherohala so the traffic is very light and beautiful drive.