Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > Archived - MOC WEB SITE & COMPUTER TECH HELP > Archived MOC Geek Squad
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2005, 06:31 AM   #1
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Got this letter, interesting facts??

We got this letter from the campground owner here. Discusses WiFi, the high speed internet, comments on how it works, his plans to do this and that. There are a few interesting comments about how they are testing the system every day, shutting you down if you are putting noise on the system, motorhomes and noise on the system, viruses on users computers and what it does to the system. There is an interesting note about users that have a LAN and want to use the Wifi, and how he will treat those who refuse to disable any LAN hookups in their individual rigs. OH, and stuff about VOIP telephones.

I will scan this TWO page note into a PDF format and will email it to any of you computer lovers that might be interested in reading it. Thought some of you might be interested. Please use the yahoo email address.

Carol

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 10:25 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Carol, I'd like to see that. In this CG they've had some problems with certain rigs causing problems with the wi-fi. I suspect they'd be interested in how this is being handled by other parks. And I'm interested for me, too. You have my email address.

Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 11:18 AM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Steve,

will get right to it!

Carol
Old 03-08-2005, 04:29 PM   #4
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
Carol,

I'd be interested in seeing that also. What campground are you at? It sounds like they are more technically savvy than most campgrounds.

Thanks,
Fred
FredG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 04:50 PM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Fred,

We are at Llano Grande, Mercedes Texas

Please send me your email addy at the yahoo address

Carol
Old 03-09-2005, 01:00 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Carol, that's the only park I've ever heard of who had cable internet at the site. And loaned or rented you the cable modem. It appears they are dead serious about providing a solid wi-fi system for their patrons, to the degree they plan to tell people to disable their internal lans and, if they refuse or persist in using them, to tell them to move on. Very impressive. I also wasn't aware that some large Class A's electrical systems can interfere with the wi-fi signal. They didn't explain what that's all about, though.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:25 PM   #7
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Steve,

The man owns 3 parks here in the Valley, I have heard he owns several in Florida and other states as well. I have not been to one of the parks he owns here in the Valley, but this one and the other one are pretty nice parks! (I prefer the one we are NOT in at the moment, Al likes this one a bit more, something about the billards tables being REALLY nice here! ) Several of these parks include a senior citizens retirement village, at least one includes a Holiday Inn as part of the total set up. Some people live here year round.

Al and I talked about that motorhome situation, and I might not be remembering what he said correctly, and he is, oh, surprise, in the billards room right now, so I cannot ask him, but he said he thought it was all the electronics that some of the big fancy motorhomes have. When he reads the forum, he will tell me if I have mis-spoken about his theory.

The cable internet has worked pretty good, over all, this year, a few ooops getting it set up, and had some short term outages here today, but for well over a month, it has been pretty good sailing, err, surfing. I was really surprised to see him go to WiFi. Especially when you think that we are in a section of this park that is brand new, no one had ever used this site before we got here on February 1st! All new cable, sewer, electric, water, concrete pads, streets paved, plants, grass, the whole deal. I believe there are well over 250 sites in just this section, heck, it might be 500, for all I know. A LOT OF SITES!! The cable was so new here, that there were poles that had parts missing from them, the cable guys did not check all the sites during construction. So, he has spent all this $$ on brand new sites, and now is gonna pay for WiFi.

It will be interesting to see if he follows through on this, one would think with that letter he would have to, right??

I found the comments about the LAN very interesting. Also the part about the software they are using to check the systems and identify problems, even if your unit is the problem!

Carol
Old 03-09-2005, 02:50 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The wi-fi guy here said the same thing about some of the big Class A's messing up the wi-fi signal.

The cable modem arrangement is probably more expensive for the park. And harder for the rv'er to set up. And requires support to help people get set up. Wi-fi will require some of that, too, but I would think it would be easier and cheaper for the park owner. But again I have no first hand experience in this.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:16 PM   #9
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Well, I have no real idea about expenses, but they have all these underground wires and ALL these modems! I don't even want to think about the $$ involved in the number of modems! Good grief! They make you leave a $100.00 deposit on them, and even tho they buy in bulk, you got to be talking some green here.

So,I hope I get to try my WiFi on my new computer at the end of the month when we head up to Fredericksburg. Had this computer since November and have YET to try the WiFi!

Carol