Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2014, 03:47 AM   #1
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
Flying J RV Plus Card from Good Sam

I had issues this morning getting the discounted price at both the pump and at the register. Called Pilot/Flying J corporate and they credited my account. Was told they are having issues with the computer not applying the discount. Check your slip. They hope to have it resolved soon.

Just filled up the car and things are working again.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:37 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Good to know we fill the truck at a local FJ/Pilot and was planning to do it today.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:21 AM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I know some of you use Pilot/Flying J for ease of access, but in my neck of the woods, they are consistently 25 or more cents higher than a gas stop 2 blocks down the street ... they can keep their fuel for that spread.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:33 AM   #4
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
I never use them while not hooked up and traveling. But I always try to find a Loves, Pilot, or Flying-J when on the road with the Monte. I use my Pilot card at those but at Loves I use cash and get a good discount. When possible I wait until unhooked and use Shell. But when traveling I want name brand truck stops that I know I can get in and out of easily and have parking if I need it. The only thing Pilot could do better is to give you a receipt at the pump.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:02 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We use FJ/Pilot while on the road Even if the price is a few cents higher we consider the ease of fueling this 55 foot rig worth the difference. The Local FJ/Pilot I mentioned is diesel 3.899 and with our 6 cent a gal discount 3.839 (opps).The highest local diesel is B.P and Shell at 4.09.
We do not care to shoehorn 55 feet of Truck and Montana into a small station or run a few miles off the interstate to save a few cents. Personal choice.
I am also not and never was a fan of Pilot but they are getting better since the merger. we still try to avoid the Pilot stations
Old 06-05-2014, 12:02 PM   #6
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
We all have different reactions and different experiences.

We are trying to avoid all Flying J, Pilots and Loves. They all have issues that are like burrs under a saddle for us.

Price is surely one of them. And, I am not talking a few cents, I am talking 20 to 35 cents PER gallon of diesel. And, we don't drive 2 to 5 miles off the expressway to fuel up either.

We start looking early and fuel up as soon as we can, that allows us the freedom to not have to stop at the first station.

Flying J has become a true nightmare at the RV pumps, and CountryGuy is not thrilled with possible Bio 20 and super duper fast foaming pumps at the truck aisles.

Last Flying J stop turned into a 30 minute delay just getting fuel. Several trips back and forth to the register. And, the discount was pitiful.

There are plenty of "small-er" stations along the highways that have clean and new tanks and pumps. We avoid, like a plaque, anything that looks old or like they do not sell a lot of fuel.

That's just us, we each have to find what suits our travel plans and time frame and pocket books.

Think of it this way, you probably will not have to fight CountryGuy for a place at the pumps in a Flying J, Loves or Pilot.

(OH, and inside the Flying J and Pilots, filthy bathrooms, Flying J was NEVER like that before Pilot bought them out.) We have also noted quite a few have issues with pumps in the car and RV lanes that are non-functional. They are not taking care of the stations.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:06 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The different experiences folks have with FJ/Pilot is interesting. We have been using FJ for many years when pulling a RV. I never cared for the pilot stations as they were usually smaller. The only real problems we have had at FJ or pilot have been rude Rv'ers who let the Rv stand at the RV pumps and go inside . We have taken as of late to use the truck pumps to avoid the uncaring Rv'er. The pilot stations have been slow in implementing the pay at the pump technology but are improving. We rarely use restrooms at a truck stop or on the road as we are pulling a restroom along with us.
We do use other stations We also use TA truck stop and even Loves but our preference is FJ and we have never had a bad experience.

On our trip down to Florida last year a FJ manager had to route out a couple Rv'ers who had left their rigs at the pumps after fueling and completely blocked the pumps and traffic was backing up on the access road. We have not yet seen the very high fuel prices mentioned here at the FJ/Pilot's. If we did we would probably drive on. Anyhow we all do what is best for us and we are all right.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:07 PM   #8
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
I suppose if you get a 6 cent discount and believe it's 60 cents, FJ is a deal.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:38 PM   #9
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pineranch

I suppose if you get a 6 cent discount and believe it's 60 cents, FJ is a deal.
Mike
I was wondering about that one too!

I used to know a guy that was so bad at math that he couldn't count to 21, .....unless he was barefoot and naked.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:47 PM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Stupid calculator.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:13 PM   #11
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
I have always used FlyingJ/Pilot and the discount card from Good Sam lifetime gets me I think 11 cents credit...usually hard to beat close to the interstate. yes if I go trapsing around the countryside looking for the discount gas stations I may be able to beat the price but refuse to do that with the Monty, Would rather be haulin butt down the road then looking for cheap fuel....Never really had a problem with them....when I get to my destination check on line and pay my bill.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:25 PM   #12
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Dumb question. Is that 11 cent discount same as cash price?
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 02:10 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The RV plus card is 6 cents diesel regular membership and 8 cents diesel if a lifetime G.S member. I do not know if that is the same as a cash purchase.
We use the card when on the road and hooked up primarily for the ease of fueling and usually a rest/lunch stop as there is plenty of room to park the rig. In Florida we use the nearby FJ/Pilot in Hanes City on Rt 27 for propane at a 10 cent per gallon discount. That particular station is always very high on Diesel fuel being 20/25 cents higher all the time and I do not understand why as maybe 1 mile down the road is a Circle K with easy in and out truck pumps .Example when we left FJ/pilot was 4.099 and the circle K was 3.899 as well as the racetrac station. That is the only FJ/lilot that we have seen a huge difference in Diesel prices. The propane refill tank is right next to the RV pumps and when a Rv pulls in to fuel I will tell them to go down the road and save some $$$$.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:01 PM   #14
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Yeah my bad, not sure what I was thinking but yeah it is 8 cents discount which if I remember is cheaper then the cash price. From what I have seen and took notice of that usually makes it the cheapest fuel at the Interstate interchanges. I am not much for running around looking for cheaper further from the interchange. I would not use it close to home since I would be able to most likely find cheaper fuel then what is close to an interstate. Besides I like the Flying J's since they usually have RV pumps and some parking close to the store for RV's. I really hate jumping out of the truck into some diesel fuel or handling a really mucked up fuel nozzle, so I hate the truck islands. Plus to park its usually a long range patrol to get to the store.... lol lol I usually only use the card when traveling like right now and it is easy to use and pay the bill. I don't use the auto pay so I can only run it up to around $1000 before I got to go on line and pay the bill which is plenty. But there is no running into the store to leave payment or a card, the pump won't shut off at $75 and I get 2 slices of pizza for $5 lol lol
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 05:28 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We use the Rv plus card at the FJ/pilot purely as a convenience that we are willing to pay a bit extra for if that is the case. It is usually easy on/off the interstate, dedicated RV pumps and truck pumps if necessary. Plenty of parking space and in most cases not bad food if you choose to eat out.

Inconsiderate RV'ers are the biggest problem at the RV fuel pumps and the truck pumps can be messy but I have fueled enough busses at the truck pumps and have the proper Fueling gear, gloves, bottle of hand soap, ect. I can not stand the smell of diesel. I have always been a keep it simple person and as I get older and lazier I find ways to do things simpler and simpler.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:10 AM   #16
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Hate to beat a dead horse....but...we have fueled up in over 12 different states this year while pulling the Montana and 80% of those stops have been at Pilot or Flying J. The other 20% have been at Loves or TA. A lot of times I also fuel up once we are set up in a CG and unhooked since I have a small fuel tank. I have never...never....never...observed that these major truck stops were priced .25 or .30 more on their diesel than small service stations. In some locations they were all about the same, in some locations they could be .10 - .15 either way. I watch the prices very closely using my I-phone Pilot app, Loves app, TruckStop app, and GasBuddy. The bottom line is the major truck stops are set up to handle truck and longer rigs, your neighborhood service stations are set up to handle cars. I am not going to drive out of my way, squeeze into some little gas station, to save $3.00 on a fill up while pulling 39' of trailer.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:29 AM   #17
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
While you're beating a dead horse and never never never seeing big price differnces ... come on out to Emporia, Kansas this weekend ... you'll see a 25 cent a gallon difference between Flying J and another fuel stop right across the turnpike. Everyone has their comfort zone ... I'm 68' long and have little issue with saving 25 cents a gallon by having to turn the steering wheel a bit more to pull out of a fuel stop.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:01 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
While on the road towing the Montana we have not see that kind of price difference at a FJ/Pilot of course we have not been at every FL/Pilot everywhere.
We did post on this thread that we do know of a FJ/Pilot Rt 27, Hanes City Fl that has at least for the last two years been 20/30 cents higher than the stations around them and it makes no sense... Shell does a good job of keeping up with the higher diesel prices. There has got to be a reason that some station will be so much higher.??
Old 06-07-2014, 12:00 PM   #19
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
Like others, our experience is that Flying J and Loves have the highest price fuel, second only to Shell. Both have other services which are attactive, but they are not worth the price difference in my opinion.
kylec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:26 PM   #20
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dieselguy

While you're beating a dead horse and never never never seeing big price differnces ... come on out to Emporia, Kansas this weekend ... you'll see a 25 cent a gallon difference between Flying J and another fuel stop right across the turnpike. Everyone has their comfort zone ... I'm 68' long and have little issue with saving 25 cents a gallon by having to turn the steering wheel a bit more to pull out of a fuel stop.
As stated I have never seen it....didn't exactly say it couldn't happen someplace in the United States, which apparently it does in Kansas. Maybe when I travel the other 2/3 of the country I will find that Pilot and Flying J stations are mostly .25 to .30 more than everyone else, don't know yet. But if they are then I guess I will just be paying it while pulling the Montana because I will never attempt to squeeze into a service station that is not designed for rigs over 60'. Everyone has their own comfort zones. Some folks pull their rigs down the road at 70 - 75 mph and some keep it under 60 or 65.