Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds State, Provincial & Federal
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2012, 03:46 AM   #1
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
Savannah, Georgia

Where do ya'all stay in this area? Looking for recommendations!

Want to go to Lady & Sons and her brothers place, which I think is Bubba's Seafood.

Thanks ya'all!

Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:58 AM   #2
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
This would not suit everyone, but we prefer non-urban parks (often State Parks). This is where we stayed on our visit to Savannah:

http://www.gastateparks.org/SkidawayIsland

Some miles out, but we found the route to downtown to be quick and easy.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:35 AM   #3
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
If you belong to Passport America there is a nice park in Hardeeville SC. It is just across the bridge from Savannah. We stay there on our way to Fla.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:54 AM   #4
chieflawdawg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6935
There is a cg on Tybee Island, just water and electric, that is alright. Plus you are near 'Uncle Bubba's '.
chieflawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:32 AM   #5
rware
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6849
Rivers End Campground, Tybee Island. About 20 miles to Savannah.
If going to Paula Deen's make sure to get there early in the day to put your name on the list. Upstairs is the best.
rware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:49 AM   #6
KSGirl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5859
We stayed at Skidaway Island State Park. It was a little tight and we couldn't get our dish because of all the trees. But it was beautiful and there are deer in the evenings so watch out for them.
KSGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:16 PM   #7
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
We stayed at Skidaway State Park, which we loved, and at the campground in Hardeeville. Dave and Betsy McNair spent a couple of winters at the one in Hardeeville and David Whittier and Kathy camp hosted at Skidaway several times. Maybe one of them will come along and give you the lowdown on each place. You'll love Savannah. It's beautiful.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:18 PM   #8
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Mina hardeeville is where we stoped over for a few days when Dave and Betsy were there its passport and not far to savannah we also went for a wkend we would go back there. you and the HOBO on the way there? Yall be careful yahear.
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:52 AM   #9
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
Skidaway is a lovely park. Satellite is definitely an issue but the park does have free basic cable. Sites 1 and 2, 21 and perhaps 19 are your best bets for satellite. Downtown is about 15 minutes on the Truman Parkway. It is a bit longer if you take DeRenne to I 516 but you can take exit 164B I16) to exit 167B which lets you out about a block from the visitor center. You can park all day for about $5.00 and get the tram there. You can also walk to most of downtown. It isn't very far. The visitor center has a good museum and a very good introductory film on Savannah. I don't like Paula Deen's so I can't tell you how to get there. I do like the Pirates House noontime buffet. That is easy access from the Truman Parkway. Go to the end and take the right to downtown. Go straight on President street to Broad, right on Broad and the Pirate's house is on the right. Plenty of parking out back. We also like to take visitors to Mrs. Wilkes Dining Room at 107 Jones St, a short walk from the Visitor Center. It isn't for everybody but it is extremely popular. The doors open at 11:00 but people are in line at 10:00. They only serve lunch. Check it out at http://mrswilkes.com/

There is a campground on Tybee but it is very expensive. We stayed there once and weren't impressed. You SHOULD go to Tybee and check out the museum and lighthouse. Lots of people like The Crab Shack (www.thecrabshack.com/)on Tybee. I would rather go to a place called AJ's or TJ's which is a little hole in the wall, a right turn off the main drag. There is a sign.

Finally if you have any interest in doing the house tours my wife likes the Thomas House and the Juliette Low House, I like the Green Meldrim Mansion and the Davenport House.

Access to Skidaway:

From the North take exit 5 in NC to Rte 17. When 17 splits, take the left fork. This takes you over the Talmadge Bridge to I 16. Take the 516 exit SOUTH also known as the Lynes Parkway. This does dump you on a busy street. Stay in the middle or left lane until you pass Abercorn Street and then move right. Ignore the sign for Skidaway at Waters and go another block to Truman Parkway. Go South on Truman to Whitfield which may be called Waters or 204 and turn left. After you go over the big bridge, the park is the next left.

From the South take Exit 94 off I 95. Stay on this. If you see signs for the Truman Parkway, take it. It was under construction last fall and I don’t know if it has been finished. If not, stay on 204 which is Abercorn St. When you pass the light At Tibet Ave get over to the right. I believe the second light is Montgomery Crossroads. Turn right and stay right. I believe the third light but it may be the fourth, is Waters. Turn right on Waters. Stay right. Stay on this till you cross the big bridge. The park is the next left.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bob n pam

We stayed at Skidaway State Park, which we loved, and at the campground in Hardeeville. Dave and Betsy McNair spent a couple of winters at the one in Hardeeville and David Whittier and Kathy camp hosted at Skidaway several times. Maybe one of them will come along and give you the lowdown on each place. You'll love Savannah. It's beautiful.
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:04 AM   #10
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
For those of you concerned about site size at Skidaway, two years ago there was a Prevost Rally there. there are 87 sites and I am told there were 86 Prevost motor homes in attendance. If they can get in there, so can you.
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:10 PM   #11
Ski Doo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12146
Stayed @ Tybee Island a couple times and as others have said,it was ok. We enjoyed the area including the fort (McCallister?) Wylies, which is near the Wal Mart has some really good BBQ.
Savanah Oaks was a lot more spread out and less$. North and west of
the city as I recall.
Ski Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:47 PM   #12
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
We stayed at the Hardeville park where Dave and Betsy were,, nice place and close to Savannah--can't rememember the exact name but Maybe Dave will be along to give you the name
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:35 PM   #13
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
The CG in Hardeeville is called Hardeeville/Thomas RV park. It is only 8 miles from downtown Savannah which is actually closer then Skidaway. We love Skidaway and stay there everytime we go to Savannah for a visit but for long term over the winter you can't beat Hardeeville. The last time we stayed there it was 325 a month plus electricity. Just call and ask. We tried the one on Tybee and it was over priced and very tight and we weren't impressed at all. We found Savannah Oaks not that great either. I think your best bets are Skidaway and Hardeeville.. Hope to see you at Q if we can get the time off...
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #14
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
We just stayed at Hardeeville RV, and saw a Montana there and when we went up to talk to them, it was HOBO BOB & MINABIRD.

Bob & Mina, had a wonderful time at Tybee with you both and an excellent dinner at Uncle Bubba's.

Thanks you both for the time spent together and safe travels to you both.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:58 PM   #15
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
Yes, we did meet them and had good fun together! They climbed the Tybee Island Lighthouse and Bob & I purposely stayed on the ground so we could take picture of each other from our respective positions! (Someone had to sacrifice and we were honored to be the ones on the ground!)

We hope your trip home is full of safe travels and when you get home that all will be well and no damage from Sandy![

Oh, and we compared trucks, too! Twins we have!!!
Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:55 AM   #16
subra1228
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10766
Hi!
So we're planning on going to Savannah next summer - end of April/early May. What are some of the great things to do there?

Thanks!
subra1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:26 AM   #17
Ski Doo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12146
Carriage ride through town, really very interesting layout.
Fort McAalister (sp) on the way to Tybee is a great place to take a lunch and poke around.
Tybee Island light house, and the beaches on the east side of the island.

Enjoy!
Old 11-05-2012, 02:54 PM   #18
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Isn't the fort on the way to Tybee Fort Polaski??
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:14 PM   #19
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Exnavydiver

yes it is Fort Polaski, We really enjoyed our visit there ane while in Savanah got to the Pirates restaurant, don't remember the name but it was fun
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:26 AM   #20
Ski Doo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12146
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jpkelpe

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Exnavydiver

yes it is Fort Polaski, We really enjoyed our visit there ane while in Savanah got to the Pirates restaurant, don't remember the name but it was fun
Fort Pulaski it is. Stuff seems to get more mixed up the further I get down the trail!