Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC REGIONAL CAMPING CLUBS > North American MOC/Rio Grande Winter Texans
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2008, 02:28 AM   #1
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Anyone still in RGV?

Radar image of Hurricane in the Brownsville area does not look good for that area. Is anyone from the MOC still down there? Probably going to be rough time on S. Padre Island, and possibly all the way up the RGV.

Wondering about the Brownsville zoo.

OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:36 AM   #2
bking
Established Member

M.O.C. #4597
We left Ayrro City yesterday morning at 4:15 AM to avoid the storm. We are now at Medina Lake Thousand Trails in the Hill Country above San Antonio. We talked to one of our friends a few minutes ago and he said the wind blew and it rained hard all night long. Said it rained so hard you couldn't really sleep but electricity was still on. Being my first summer in the valley didn't think I wanted to stay. So we left our shed, boat and golf cart and headed out. We are praying for all the people in the region.

Betty
bking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:09 AM   #3
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Just had a picture of people in McAllen filling sand bags. Feel for those people. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:11 AM   #4
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
Wife and I are not in the valley now but we stay at Palmdale Rv Park just west of Los Fresnos on highway 100,the road to Padre Island. We had some people leave their rigs at the park this year because of high fuel cost. They had to secure them for storms. I hope their system works. The park has a few permanent trailers with screen rooms. The rain that will fall will put a lot of water into the park which will cause flooding. The area had a major raim storm a few years ago and the park had a lot of water. Highway 100 was closed by LosFresnos because of flowing water over the highway. I had the luck of being on the high end of the park and watched the water flow to the back of the park like a river. I hope their are no major problems that would not permit the park to be open this winter.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:29 AM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Have been watching the news with great interest, of course, just as many other Winter Texans have been, I am sure.

Have to say, this is one reason that Al and I would not be comfy leaving Tana behind. It is a comfort level thingy, eh???

Our prayers are going out to all our friends that are involved.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:19 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I think Jim Cantori is standing in some of my foo prints at Boomerang Billy's beach bar...
Interesting storm, I am afraid the storm is going to ruin our brand span-kin new community center I rewired and also worked on the air conditioning there. Sad, it was really nice and a great improvement on old Isla Blanca Park.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:34 AM   #7
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
This is what I dreaded living less than 20 miles from the coast for 50+ years. I feel for the folks in that area although this does not seem to be a major storm, just lots of rain predicted. Destroyed property will be rebuilt, I just did not want to have to rebuild anything, now I live closer to Oklahoma than the Gulf Of Mexico.

Appears South Padre Island is going to take a hit right on the nose.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:01 AM   #8
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Hey Jim (OZZ) you camp site in Padre is going to get some LANDSCAPING it looks like..
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:47 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I bet my fence will still be there! I buried that sucker in concrete. It is sad, they were doing so much nice work on the park there.
My friends Dennis and Mary that were at the Branson rally, left their 5er just inland in storage, I hope it's OK. Because of Dennis' deteriorating mental health, they just couldn't drive to and from anymore.
I may be forced to go to Utah and Arizona this Winter, I guess desert sand isn't much different than beach sand...
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:35 AM   #10
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
OZZ, No Beach Bunnies, No Shirp Dinners, No Margaritas on the Beach, No Ocean Breeze, No walks down the Beach, No Sunrise on the Ocean, what more can I say?
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:44 AM   #11
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
My family dealt with every hurricane along the coast since 1942. I remember as a little boy, maybe 6 or 8 years old running from a storm that came through in the Freeport, Texas area where I grew up. Carla (1961) put 3" of water in my home in Freeport. Is it any surprise that Dianna and I chose not to stay in Houston after retirement? We lived on the southeast side of Houston for 30 years. Every storm that threatened required us to climb over 1.5 to 2 million people to get out. Rita finally demonstrated how impossible it had become. I have great empathy for all who chose to live along the Gulf Coast.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:16 PM   #12
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Well, we are almost in the RG Valley. Will be there as soon as we can get power to run the AC's.

If anyone wants us to check on anything let us kinow. If/and when we have time we will try to check on things for you. It sounds like we will be busy here for a while. Won't know how long until we finally get down to San Benito or Harlingen.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:43 PM   #13
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Colleen

I chatted with Al about this for a moment this AM, he said, yes, Fun N Sun is all grass, aka, most likely mud now.

He said the sites are narrow.

Gotta tell you, for us, we would NOT take a site that was sitting on grass, no pavement, we don't wanna stay there. Maybe we are getting toooooo soft!

They have power out toward Mission, or did this afternoon. That is not centrally located the way Harlingen is, but, for a few days it might get you in there and get hubby working. If you are interested, send me a PM or email, and I will get you some contact info. I know someone ON the ground, as they say. I am not promising they can help you, but they are there and might be able to give you more insight for power and that.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:26 PM   #14
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Carol,

You are such a sweet heart, I really hope that we cross paths in person at some point. We are in Kingsville right now with both AC's on and the cat is a sleep in his crate with the door open.

I will call tomorrow to the campgrounds near San Benito and see who has power etc. The park we are staying in does have some small pea gravel so we will be fine getting out. Hubby is now scratching his chin and rethinking parking on grass. He thought I was crazy saying we shouldn't stay at Fun n Sun. After pulling into this park and seeing the ruts with the gravel he is saying "maybe you need the Woodalls and Trailer Life books in the RV to look at places to stay.

Things in books read great.....nothing better than first hand knowledge and peoples reviews that are posted on the internet.

Thanks so much for your reply If I need your ground help I will email you.

Colleen
Old 07-25-2008, 02:24 AM   #15
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Colleen,

You may have my phone number from some past communications, if so, and you need to, CALL!

I am kinda relieved to hear you are rethinking the grass parking. I have seen how little rain it takes to turn that RGV dirt to mud, astonishing. I can only imagine how soppy the ground must be with those amounts of rain. And, my experience, it does not drain away real fast.

The long and wide boards suggested might save ya tho, get em before you go any further south.

Last news report I heard, half awake this AM, about 100,000 still no power down that way.

Keep us posted as you can and stay safe!
Old 07-25-2008, 03:48 AM   #16
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
There are a couple parks in Los Fresnos. Palmdale RV Resort and Holiday Out RV Park. IIRC, both of these had a lot of concrete pads. We looked at both last year while in Port Mansfield.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:38 PM   #17
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Just am update. We are at the Fig Tree Resort in Harlingen for the next two nights. They are one of the few RV parks that has electricity right now. We will be moving to the Fun n Sun Park on Sunday or Monday, but will be in one of their Super RV spots. The pads are all concrete and wide with picnic tables. Of course this won't be cheap, but we will be right next to the other adjuster and Bob's supervisor. I will also be doing some work for the company, so being close will help put some extra dough in our pocekts.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. We have viewed several parks, and they do pack them in here. Not sure we could get the 3400RL backed into most of the spots. Having the LB extended cab makes for a very long truck with a very long camper.

Colleen
Old 07-25-2008, 02:03 PM   #18
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Thanks for letting us know Colleen, you and hubby are in our good thoughts, we appreciate the updates too!

Take care now!!
Old 07-26-2008, 05:43 AM   #19
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
We stay at Winder Ranch in Alamo and that is where our Montana is because of fighting with step-s and they won. Had to leave the unit there but talked to Kathy in the office and the people that live across the street and they said all the RV's came out fine but the park models loss some car ports. They must have electricy if you want to stay there. I would check with them first. The neighbor walked around it and said everything was just fine and the MAX-AIRS were all there. If you are around there you can check also,lot 481. Did you make it to Cedar Rapids?
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote