Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2008, 09:50 AM   #21
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Like Sue I do not understand..Where can we find more information.. Both the TV's in the 06 3400 are Digital Tv's so we do not need the converter box????

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 11:55 AM   #22
Lije Baley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3890
The digital signal parallels the analog signal and next February will replace it. Your digital tuner is all you need. Analog tuners will no longer work, and will be replaced by the converters. All that will work in urban areas, but in the boondocks, the reception could still be zero. With digital, reception goes from good to nothing, without the intervening, gradually deteriorating, "snowy" picture.

Directv HD signals require a new dish. The 18" round dish looks only at one satellite, which has no HD signals. You'll need the 5 LNB "Slimline" dish (or the bulkier AT-9 dish, which the Slimline replaced)that looks at FIVE satellites. Setting the dish up is more of a hassle, but after a few times is not that difficult. If you don't travel too far from home, the new dish will provide your local HD stations. Once outside the spot beam, usually several hundred miles wide, but shaped like an oval, so it's longer than it is wider, you'll need the DNS waiver, or if in one place long enough, you can "move" as Rich does.
Lije Baley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:43 PM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Directv HD signals require a new dish. The 18" round dish looks only at one satellite, which has no HD signals. You'll need the 5 LNB "Slimline" dish (or the bulkier AT-9 dish, which the Slimline replaced)that looks at FIVE satellites. Setting the dish up is more of a hassle, but after a few times is not that difficult. If you don't travel too far from home, the new dish will provide your local HD stations. Once outside the spot beam, usually several hundred miles wide, but shaped like an oval, so it's longer than it is wider, you'll need the DNS waiver, or if in one place long enough, you can "move" as Rich does"

I guess I have not been paying attention... I did not know we would have to upgrdae our direct tv dish/ For some reason I thought That the sat signal even if you are only looking at the one sat..was a digital signal??

OOPPS.. I was not paying attention again.. You were refering to HD Signals and you are correct. I will still be able to receive on my old dish but not HD.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:30 PM   #24
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I was confused also, Rich, we seem to be talking about two different things here. Let's stay on the digital subject and get those questions answered and then we can talk about HD which is NOT required.
I repeat my earlier questions.
Happy trails..........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 02:50 PM   #25
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Sorry to all. I am marrying two things together for one viewing experience. Direct TV satellite and the new Digital Set Top Box for Over the Air TV reception. Over the Air TV is what you receive if you raise the TV antenna on the roof of your Montana. This is just like the old rabbit ears. As we all recall, the picture was not very good unless you were close to the TV station antenna.

The old Over the Air tv channels are analog (technical and not important), and the older tv's are able to receive these channels. In Feb 2008, the government mandated that the Over the Air signals change from analog to digital. (They want the frequencies to auction for other uses).

With this change, older TV's will require a digital Set Top Box (STB) to continue receiving the Over the Air Channels (local stations). The govt has a program where you can apply for coupons to help defray the cost of purchasing the STBs. The coupons are for $40 each and you can receive up to 2 coupons. The STBs are retailing for $59/$79 each. Best Buy, Radio Shack, Circuit City and others are or will be selling the STBs.
So, while traveling the use of the STBs in conjunction with the DTV Satellite system, you can receive the local (to the area you are in)channels plus retain all of the subscribed programming from your satellite system. (Direct or Dish). This new digital signal will provide tv pictures like what you receive via the Direct or Dish satellite systems.

So, to be long winded, you can receive the local channels(ABC,CBS,NBC,PBS, and what ever other local channels in the area) for the area you are camping with a very good picture and there is no monthly fee. There is the cost of the new Digital STB of course. These can also be moved from the Montana to the stick house as needed or desired.
There are a few links to review:
http://www.dtv.gov/
http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/digitaltv.html
http://www.dtvanswers.com/
https://www.dtv2009.gov/

I apologize for the confusion, it is a bit difficult trying to make this clear.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 02:50 PM   #26
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Ok...Here is my understanding..The TV's in the 06 3400 are digital TV's as are our older ones at home.The directtv Sat signal is a digital signal so we will be OK on our older round dish and the older Directtv Receivers?? True or false.....

In order to receive HD Tv we will need new equipment, Dish, LNB's.

Local channels are now sending a analog TV signal and you would need the adapter mentioned to receive the "digital " signal they will be sending in Feb 09 If you are receiving the signal via a roof antenna or rabbit ears and have the older TV with a analog tunner. If your are receiving via a sat or cable you will be OK as that sig is already Digital . How right or wrong is all of that??????

The antenna on the roof of the 3400 says it is a " Digital Antenna"?????

Old 03-26-2008, 03:04 PM   #27
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Rich,

Close, if you have a "tube" tv, my best guess is this is analog and will require a new digital STB to receive the new digital channels using the roof antenna on the Montana.

If you have a flat screen LCD/Pasma TV, there is a very good chance you have a digital tuner along with an analog tuner. Check the instructions for the proper set-up process to have the tv scan for the digital channels.

Satellite systems receive the signal from the satellite digitally. The satellite set top box converts the signal back to analog for the tv. The connections on the back of the satellite STB are, component (red/white/yellow connector/cable) and coax. These are analog from the STB to the TV.

So the satellite set top box and the new Over the Air set top box perform the same function. Receive the digital signal and convert it back to analog for the older tvs.

So, have I confused everyone even more?
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:03 AM   #28
Lije Baley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3890
Rich,

My earlier post was directed (pun intended) to DHenry's question about getting HD from direct with his old dish. On the more basic question of the need to add digital converters to analog TVs after next February, I don't believe it will be necessary if your local signal is provided by Directv. That is, if you stay within the spot beam of your "home" region, or "move" your account to your new location (as you do). Directv should continue to function as it always has, with the signal converted by their receivers for your TVs (I'm guessing, but cannot imagine Direct making life more complicated unnecessarily for its customers). However, if you want to get the local stations over the air (by antenna), yes, you need a digital to analog converter, and yes there is money available from the government (which was taken from you earlier) to assist you. Think of it as "TV Welfare." Despite advertising gimmiicks, there is no such thing as a digital antenna. Digital signals right now are 98% UHF. After next February, some TV stations will migrate their signals back to the high VHF band (where channels 7 - 13 are now). Most will remain in the UHF spectrum. In short, any good VHF/UHF antenna, including the Montana's batwing will be sufficient.
Lije Baley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:40 AM   #29
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We do have a couple of those boxes on the way and this is also a good excuse to upgrade our Tv's and directtv services. We have not been paying a lot of attention to the issue as we figured we would be ok as we are...and we are. I thought that something may have changed. These post cleared upy confusion and miss understanding..thanks..