Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2007, 07:30 PM   #1
rubble express
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6477
interior stains on ceiling

We're starting to see some little yellow/brown stains on the ceiling. I thought they might be mold or something so I tried to dab them with a rag with a little deluted bleach on it. No good. I'm pretty sure nothing is leaking. I'm not even sure it's being caused by moisture. I've read about people complaning about nails in the ceiling strips rusting (or at least turning colors) and using white out to cover them. I, too, can see some nails turning colors, but not too bad. The spots on the ceiling itself are another matter. You can't really touch them up easily. Is anyone else having this problem and, if so, what are you doing about it? This unit is only 13 months old. I don't think that I should have to be painting the ceiling with Kills (or anything else for that matter). Any help would be appreciated. Barney.

rubble express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:16 PM   #2
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
I realize you are over the one year warranty, but I would try your dealer. I had the same problem,(under warranty) and the dealer cleaned it up for me. I was told that it was excessive glue leaching through the ceiling. I don't think I was ever told what they used to clean it up. As I recall, this issue was discussed several times before, perhaps you can "Search" and find what to use on the yellow stains. Good Luck.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 12:01 AM   #3
Sandi
Established Member

M.O.C. #4207
We had the same problem. We were still under warranty, so when it was taken back, the dealer said it was the caulk that keystone used and it ALWAYS happened if you cooked, smoked or basically lived in it. They would fix it? Their fix was to dab white shoe polish on the discolored areas. Wasn't happy about that at all. In the right light you can see lots of white spots on the ceiling. Very carefully, I use full strength clorox cleanup and it works.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:01 AM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Other members here at MOC report that if you burn candles in a unit you will get sooty gray color on the ceiling. This is NOT what you are talking about, I know, but thought I would add that fact to the mix.

The stuff they use on nails at the factory is, I believe, white wood putty (puddy?? how DO you spell that one??)

Anyway, it has the tendency to turn yellowish with age. SIGH

Some MOC members have reported using White Out to "recolor" the yellow spots.

Others have done the Kilz and paint solution.

Good luck in solving your discoloration problem.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 08:53 AM   #5
rogersuemegan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3579
Send a message via AIM to rogersuemegan
I have had good luck cleaning them with awesome
cleaner from the $ store.
rogersuemegan is offline   Reply With Quote