Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2007, 09:41 PM   #1
justbeginning
Established Member

M.O.C. #7130
quality control in factory

Can't believe the lack of quality control at the factory. After getting our Montana home and using it we found so many things that should have been picked up before it was allowed to leave the factory. Just a few of the items are;

Wall in shower is buckled. We can.t even use it until it gets taken off and fixed.

When the access panel in the pantry was installed the screws were so long they were srewed right into the pocket door. Big gouges right across the door.

One ceiling fan blade is bent.

There is a bow in wall were the spice cabinet comes down.

The sky light over the shower is warped. It has a big gap between the ceiling and the framing.

Kitcen faucet leaked like crazy.

The counter top doesnt line up with cupboards. There is a difference of 3/4 of an inch from one end of the counter to the other.

The floor in front of the shower squeaks and actually moves when you walk on it.

There in a bump under the carpet. Might be a srew not screwed all the way in.

The carpet in the bedroomis already starting to have marks in it where there is a gap between the floor boards.

There is a stain in the carpet in the closet.

These are just a few of the items that show lack of pride in contruction. These are things that showed up after only 2 days of use.

Before we bought the Montana we told some friends that go south every year that we were looking at the Montana and their response was they are all a bunch of junk. We should have listened to them and bought the Open Road.

Three couples we know thought our Montana was beautiful when we first brought it home and all three were seriously looking at purchasing one but after seeing the lack of pride in construction and quality control they have changed their minds.

Can.t imagine whats going to show up when we start using it for 3 or 4 months at a time.

After bringing the Montana home we needed to install our stack washer and dryer. Emailed Keystone asking them where it was safe to drill for the vent. Got email back saying specs were forthcoming. Never got them, emailed them back again, this time no response. Finall got the information off the MOC FORUM.

This was a major purchase in our life. The price wasn't bargain basement. Thought we were getting a good quality product.

justbeginning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 02:05 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Wow! you do have many issues on your unit, sorry to hear that. The dealer should have caught these things before you even walked in it. The Montana is a good product, I wouldn't bash the entire product line over one unit. I know you are unhappy and disappointed, and do not blame you for being upset, but all of us did not get a unit with those problems.
Every Montana off the line are not like yours. Hang in there, and if the dealer doesn't take care of you, contact the factory, keep after them, you will get help.
I am having problems with my dealer on warranty service, I have called 7 times, finally they are giving me the old line; "Parts on order" a section of vinyl flooring. We will keep calling them. Shouldn't be this way, but often it is.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 02:15 AM   #3
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Suggest you contact Montana Customer Service and ask for the unit to be taken to the factory repair center.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 03:02 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Justbeginning.
You are correct Quality/workmanship in the RV INDUSTRY is bad, very bad, any brand
Go to the keystone website, click on Montana, click on "send us your ideas" and send them that post.
In My experience your list of problems is more typical than not.
Hold the dealer and Keystone responsible for the repair, Use what ever resource you need to, BBB, NTSB..or whatever they are In Canada.
As long as the consumer accepts the poor quality the Manufacturers have no reason to do better.
If you can sign up for the fall rally in Goshen. You will meet the folks who manage the building of these units.. let them know how yours was managed... as a matter of fact that would be a good time to schedule a service center visit.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:52 AM   #5
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Can't believe the dealer let that unit off the lot in that condition.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 04:44 PM   #6
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Since you are in BC, Goshen is a bit far away, but I believe that there is another factory/service center in Oregon. Perhaps someone from out that way can confirm.

Certainly, work first with your dealer, if you are lucky, he should take care of your problems. Otherwise call Keystone Customer Service (Calling on the phone is best), ask for Montana Customer Service and explain your defects and your dealer's response to them as calmly and politely as possible. Offer to send digital photos of the defects, making sure to get the name and email address of the individual you talk to. Ask them to arrange a resolution for your defects. They may send you back to your dealer, another dealer, or a factory service center. Keep records of all your conversations. With some persistence, you should get all your problems resolved. Others have gone this route with success.

If you can make it to Goshen for the rally, then by all means, do that. It is well worth the effort if you can make that long trip from BC.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 03:09 AM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I agree that quality control industry wide leaves a lot to be desired. However, the major problem lies with the dealers selling the product. All they have to do is let the companies know that they won't be selling any more of their products until the quality control is improved. I know that will get the company's attention. In addition, those rigs arriving at the dealer's with the types of problems listed should be taken care of by the dealer. I know my dealer, Ketelsen RV in Hiawatha, IA would never let those types of things leave their lot.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 02:48 PM   #8
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Justbeginning, first let me ask, how old is your unit. At our dealership if we had a unit with that much wrong with it at delivery, we would have sent it back to the factory. As a whole, Montanas have very little wrong with them, especially lately. If you look at my post about my personal Big Sky, and I am very critical about quality, 99% perfect when I PDI'ed it; and after a trip to Myrtle Beach, and going across WV's turnpike, still no problems. We have dropped brands from inventory because of bad quality. After 28 yr's , I've seen even the best occasionally have a bad apple; but best do take care of their problem if they are legitimate. Give Keystone a chance, and if you dealer is worth a salt, they'll make sure it gets fixed. Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 02:50 PM   #9
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
The factory in Oregon is a Cougar factory. It is located in Pendleton, Oregon.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 05:42 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I have to agree. This one should never have got out of Goshen in that condition. And the dealer should have caught most of those problems, also.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote