Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2007, 06:37 AM   #1
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
Slide outs

Does anyone know if the slide outs are strong enough for us to stand on. I was giving Ms Montana her bath this morning and I just can't quite reach the tops of the slide to get enough pressure to get them really clean. Plus I would like to put some extra tape over the joint and my ladder isn't long enough to do that from the side.

Thanks

gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 08:10 AM   #2
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
I think I would stay off them if possible. I am not a small person but I still would be careful and not get on them. Just MHO.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 08:35 AM   #3
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Gary probably not the way you thought of doing it but how about getting on top of it when it is closed? Depending on which one it is when closed will tell whether my (outside of the box) thinking will work, anyway this would be a way of gettin it done a little safer (supported while retracted). I know I can get on 2 and maybe all 3 of mine. If I can't get on the 3rd one I know my son could. Ya have to love college kids, tons of energy and no body fat.
Hope this helps
Chuck
PS thanks for trying to help with the Key West Question
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 08:46 AM   #4
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
I walk on mine, when sweeping debris...bit scary on bedroom slide, small and perched higher in the air. Ordered my slide toppers so that means my walking on 'em days are numbered.
Chuck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 09:48 AM   #5
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
We just usually have most our weight on the roof and reach out to do the tops of the slides as far as we can get. Then use a ladder for the rest. With the slide toppers we really dont have to deal with them anymore and that is one thing I like about the slide toppers.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 10:05 AM   #6
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
Campbud, that is what I normally do, but today it just didn't seem to be working as well as it has in the past. I just couldn't get the pressure on the slide roof. Could be that my stiff joints weren't flexible enough to bend down low enough LOL!!

Noneck, do you have the slide supports on the bottom? I was wondering because they just don't look that strong.

Chuck, never thought of having them travelling in, may try that to replace the tape before we head north this spring. Wish I could have helped more with the Key West question.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 10:23 AM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I stand up on the roof and use a mop that I bought from Target. Spray on the roof cleaner and mop it clean, seems to work well and keeps the slide roof nice and white.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:45 PM   #8
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Yup, I was concerned too....nothing under slides for additional support...walked on both my slide roofs and was really impressed by how it felt stronger than the rubber roof. Been there a few times sweeping clean before running slides in...my rig is an older unit bought used but still a sweet unit. I'm not a large person...but not as much a ligthweight as I'd like to think I am...210lbs...narray a hit of sag. Mrs says "I hear you up there!"
Chuck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 05:59 AM   #9
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Not to worry. This subject has been discussed before and there have been men who weigh 250+ and they have walked on them with no problems. I weigh 195 and have been on mine several times.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote