Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2006, 10:23 AM   #1
Buffpilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5227
Oven Pilot Light

We are having a problem in lighting the oven pilot light. We use a propane lighter, have the gas on, no problems with surface units or frig. Previously worked fine. Manual said it may be difficult to light. We have had no interruption in gas supply. I used a scotch brite pad on the thermocouple but still no luck. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Buffpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 10:41 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I am not sure if this helps, but I did not push the button in when I tried to light the pilot light. The tech had to show me after he read the fine print. It would not light until the oven button was held in.
Good luck.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 10:47 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Bob and Marcia,

Have you used it before?

Those things take FOREVER to push the air out, as its a tiny tiny little opening and small flame. Just give it time with the knob in the pilot position.

Once it lights, it will be a small ball of flame. When you turn on the burner the pilot will grow into a larger flame and stall for about 60 seconds while it heats up the thermocouple. Once at the thermocouple is at temp, the main burner will light. It will cycle using the larger pilot light flame, but once you shut the valve off, it goes back to that tiny little ball of flame. (blah-blah - can you tell I've spent a lot of time under there? )

Don't sand up your thermocouple too much, as I don't think that's the problem, and it will ruin it.

Guess I better edit after Johns response - don't want to mislead you. Mine was a 2003 with Magic Chef, and there was no button or knob push for the pilot, just put it in the pilot position. I cannot speak for the later years.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 10:59 AM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Have always pushed the button on my ovens, even my 2004, which I think is the same that Brad's was. Maybe I don't need to push it in my unit, but that is how I learned to light the oven and that is how I still do it!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 11:09 AM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Hmmmm - mine didn't push in, except to move it from the Off position. It always lit without pushing anything. Of course I'm getting old and forget a lot of stuff.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:17 AM   #6
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Mine has to be pushed in while the pilot is lit, then held in for a bit until the thermocouple heats up. After that it stays lit unless you turn the knob past the pilot position.

On Edit - If you turn the knob past the pilot position when turning the oven off.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 11:24 AM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
With that - I stand corrected. I must have been pushing it in and just don't remember, as I don't see that the ovens changed at all over the years.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:27 AM   #8
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
We have a 2004 Monty with the Magic Chef, to light the pilot, turn top pilot, push entire knob in, light pilot hold for aobut 40-50 seconds let off on knob, pilot stays lit and when you use the oven, just set temp desired and soon the flame comes on and it will heat tot emp desired and shut off, as temp drops, it will come back on and heat ot preset temp again, etc until baking is done. use an unglazed mesican tile 12X12 or a pizza tile for even baking. Love my little oven, use it once or twice a week.

Rick
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 10:03 AM   #9
Buffpilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5227
Thank you all, pushing in the button while lighting did the trick. You guys are the greatest!
Buffpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 05:20 PM   #10
daneboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4854
If the previous suggestions do not help, have your pressure regulator cheked. Ours wouldn't light if other gas units like the stove top or furnace were on. Keystone paid for the new regulator, even though we were a few weeks out of warrantee.
Jerry
daneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 12:14 PM   #11
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
You will have to hold the button down and purge the gas. Be sure when you hold in on the pilot button that it does depress. Just because it is align with the markings, it does not mean that the valve is opening. Mine is off the mark just a bit. Once lite, hold the valve for about a minute and then release and allow the thermocouple to warm up.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote