Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > Archived - MOC WEB SITE & COMPUTER TECH HELP > Archived MOC Geek Squad
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2004, 03:55 AM   #21
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
Most of the lurkers are inactive anyway so if they aren't posting to this forum why be here? I think what they are doing is an awesome idea that was a long time over due.

I realize that a lot of people lurk out there but if you NEVER have anything to say ever, then what is the point about being here? You can't pop in once a month and say thank you for something that was asked and answered that you wanted? That's just common curtesy....

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

Quote:
quote:Many boards have such a requirement.
I beg to differ. I frequent about 35 different RVing and Fishing forums/message boards. Some of which I am an active or semi-active contributer and don't mind logging in. But there are many where I just like to browse (lurk?) through the messages and not one of those message boards requires me to log in just to read the threads that interest me.

Quote:
quote:I myself like it because I hate to know that people are out there "lurking" and not participating.
Logging in does not stop the lurking.
Logging in does not require someone to participate.

Logging in will not make an inactive person active and therefore the inactive active will now clog the data base.
In my opinion logging in accomplishes nothing but that is just my opinion.

Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 07:24 AM   #22
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:I realize that a lot of people lurk out there but if you NEVER have anything to say ever, then what is the point about being here? You can't pop in once a month and say thank you for something that was asked and answered that you wanted? That's just common curtesy....
I browse (if to your way of thinking I'm "lurking" than so be it) the various boards to learn from other's experience. I garner much knowledge by just "browsing" the boards. Just as so many rvers have learned about RVing and Montanas by "browsing" the MOC.
Consider, If everyone of these so called "lurkers" logged in and to merely say "thank you!" for learning something new at "IMPROVEMENTS" or picked up a new recipe at "WHAT'S COOKING?" the MOC data base would be more overwhelmed than if they just "lurked" and moved on with knowledge gained.
Think about this, Registering with your with your E-mail Address: ----------Password: --------User Name: --------Real Name: ---------Location: ----------Age: -------Marital Status: -------Gender: -----Occupation: -------Etc. -------- and than maintaining this information will add much more new information to the database than just lurking and moving on.

Remember, from sreigle with over 5700 posts to the newbie with just 1 post, at one time we were all "lurkers". Allowing these so called lurkers to browse through this great forum without Registering is how this forum got it's start and is the reason it is where it is today. I would suggest that a great number of the present MOC regulars would NOT be members today had they been forced to Register first.

I should note that I am, as always, just voiceing my opinion and ultimately it is the MOC Administrators that make the final decisions.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 11:37 AM   #23
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
I don't mind either way but openness of this forum is a definite plus as stated previously. Another thing to look at is the work required by Admin to track new members and other housekeeping. This requirement will add to the membership numbers but will give a false number of participants. If You join, find out it's not for You, leave and never return, the software treats You as a member, holds Your username, counts You in the number of members and awaits Your return.
If You never come back then You are a member for how long? Will You be deleted after a certain amount of inactivity? What about active members that are not available to post for a while (like Rob Cooley?). There are many things to consider with this change and is this a good thing or just another thing.
Maybe putting a few topics such as where are You now and other threads that may contain personal info in a members area but keep most of it open to the general admission?

I would never had guessed that my simple question would have snowballed into such a heated debate.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 12:27 PM   #24
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
padredw and Glenn

You both have stated what I was trying to say. You both said it much better than I did.

Al and I were talking about this situation this morning, and we both agree, that when we happen across a forum that is closed to browsing, that we just surf on down the road. I am not gonna register for a site that I have no idea what is there. (Part of the problem is the number of passwords and stuff I already have, it is overwhelming. I have too many now!!)

What a shame if a prospective member that has so much knowledge to share and who could be a terrific MOC member would pass us by because they feel the way Al and I do about surfing in, finding a registration required and surf on out.

It all boils down to personal preferences and experiences on the internet and how you want to spend your time.

Now, back to editing books.

Cheers, Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 03:56 PM   #25
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
I used to Admin an extremely large website that had among other features, a forum with a membership larger than this one. After 6 years of dedication to it, I turned it over to another person in early September and I haven't looked back. It took an enormous amount of time to keep the whole website up and operating properly and to keep the members on the forum from killing each other (and me) with their difference of opinions.

From having that website and forum, I can understand the reasoning behind the forum being "closed" to the public. My forum was closed. It makes sense to be able to keep tally on the membership and weed out inactive members after a certain period (6 months was mine) of inactivity. By having a closed forum, the Admin can easily see the last time someone has logged on. If a member logs on, then they are considered an "active" member whether they post or just lurk. That definitely cuts down time spent on the bookkeeping.

It's really hard to not take the opinions and criticism of the website or forum personal when you are an Admin. Especially when all you are trying to do is what is needed for the site, or what is best for the site, or what will cut down on some of the time you spend maintaining the site.

I cared very much about the website and forum I had, and I devoted thousands of hours to it. It got to a point where I just couldn't stand the problems and stress of trying to please the members. The forum pretty much lost track of why it was in existence in the first place as everyone spent time giving opinions on everyone else's opinions and on things that really shouldn't have mattered.

This forum's topic is about Montana 5th wheels and we really need to try and stay there or we will end up like every other forum on the net with people fighting and complaining all the time. Keystone Mfg has complimented this forum in the past for it being different, I hope our luck doesn't run out.

For me, the Admin can do whatever they want. If there comes a time I don't like the policies and procedures here, I'll go find another place that is maintained by people who share my opinions or if need be, I'll go create my own site again. Creating one is easy. Maintaining it and trying to please all the members is the hard part.

I'm grateful that it's someone else running the show here. Admin, keep up the good work. You guys deserve a medal.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 04:55 PM   #26
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
D and M, that was very well stated. Thank you for giving us some insights into the work behind running a forum. In my opinion, our Admins have treated us very well and have developed a top notch forum I really enjoy. If they see the need to make it members only, then so be it. I'm sure there are valid reasons behind it, as you so aptly identified, that we mere members have no idea about. If there are those who will not join because it requires registration, well, so be that, too. My Password Pro is chock full of userids and passwords but I keep on adding to it when I find a site I want to peruse. I guess I'm just a junkie when it comes to this. In any case, I agree our Admins have done an outstanding job and want to commend them for the job they've done and all the effort they put in.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 04:11 AM   #27
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by NJ Hillbilly

Melissa, I know what You mean by "Lurking" but many times once a question has been answered there is really no need to say the same thing again and again. I know many like to add their 2 cents but often the same thingis said post after post and it almost seems like people are typing just to get a post. Maybe they are trying to catch up to the number of steve's posts

John
John,
I think you are 100% correct. I am dissappointed that I can no longer go from e-mail to read post's I have subscribed to without signing in now. Have a good day!
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote