Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2006, 05:11 PM   #1
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
A pleasant surprise....

Some of you folks probably read that we recently purchased a Verizon aircard and discussed our purchase on this forum as well as the Escapees Forum. Now for the surprise....when Glen checked our account on the internet, he found that we have a $200.00 credit to our account. Apparently some extra nice people who purchased their aircards put our name down as a reference which earned us $50.00 per reference. Is it Christmas??? What a blessing!

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 06:31 PM   #2
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Judy do you have a line on approximate monthly charges for that setup yet? I am very interested, but I have an EVDO phone that I could convert to an "aircard" (w/ the purchase of the Data Kit) for my laptop. We are going to get Cheryl a laptop at a later point in time to replace the "beater" she has now that has no wireless capability.

Just wondering if I went with your setup with the KR1 router, what approx monthly expense I would be facing...

Also, does that KR1 have a "hard wire" capability? Cheryl could use that.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 03:27 AM   #3
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Verizon is $60.00 per month if you're a Verizon phone customer.

The router does come with an ethernet cable so if that is the 'hard wire', yes, it will work.

You can have a free 15 day trial of this stuff if you want to try it. Booster-Antenna.com
Old 06-29-2006, 04:02 AM   #4
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Judy. Are there any hidden fees/charges to the $60/mo?
Old 06-29-2006, 04:55 AM   #5
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
In our case the $60.00 goes up to about $70 with all the taxes and extras thay tack on.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 05:51 PM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Helen! Alltel offers a similar program with the Kyocera card as does Verizon. I would probably go with the Alltel system, as Verizon does not "officially" cover our NW Lower Mich area. Same pricing, though.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:07 PM   #7
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
That is great if you are going to stay where you are but in 30,000 miles we have not been in our original area at all. We are in Alaska right now and have great coverage with Verizon as we have had almost everywhere except where we wouldn't want to pay the roaming like Mexico an Canada. Check it out VERY carefully. Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 03:19 AM   #8
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I have been monitoring Alltel's coverage. They have RAPIDLY expanded nationwide these past 36 months (much by buying up smaller companies and upgrading them). We have been to Las Vegas a few times, from Michigan to Western Manitoba, from Mich to Kansas City, From Mich to Memphis, from Mich to Mobile, AL, from Mich to Asheville, NC then on to Orlando, FL. And in Washington, DC. Been to Atlanta, GA several times, as well as Pittsburg, PA a few times.

Never any problems with Alltel coverage in any of those places - no roaming on their National plan, and less expensive in many cases on my comparisons with Verizon. Their high speed service is expanding very rapidly, as I am watching this carefully.

As I look at their National coverage map, it actually has a little more coverage than Verizon, and if Verizon has great coverage, then I would suspect Alltel's would rival them. We have certainly had no problems with them in our travels.

I have no problem switching to Verizon (or any other company) if need be. Right now it doesn't seem necessary. Even though the bulk of our travel/cellular experience has been on the east side of the Mississippi, except for Manitoba/Las Vegas/Kansas City, KS, I would suspect that their coverage map would be as accurate in the West as it seems to be in the East.

Alltel's aircards have recently come down in price. I'll probably make a decision in the next two weeks.

Judy, I take it that it is fairly easy switch from aircard to WiFi, and back again with your laptops?
Old 06-30-2006, 04:27 AM   #9
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Judy, That definately sounds like a Christmas thing !!

Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 05:53 AM   #10
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Dave, the aircard works just like a WiFi connection. It shows up with a name on my Intel Pro Wireless connecting software just like a site in a campground or Panera Bread, etc. Just choose the connection you want to use. You give it a name and set up your security with a password.

I agree with Helen on getting Verizon for extended travel.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:58 AM   #11
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Judy! That's easier than I thought. I will do some more checking on Verizon.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:20 PM   #12
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Be sure to check your coverage areas when choosing a carrier. We use Verizon. For talking on the phone, no big problems...but if you are going to try to get "Online", the "Extended Network" provisions of Verizon don't work for that. We've been without Verizon data capability for over a month, and will be for another month +. Here in KS, SW MO, AR, it's Alltel or Cingular or Sprint....but not Verizon. Maybe around Little Rock...don't know yet. Works fine for talking, but not for connecting to the Internet.
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 05:46 PM   #13
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, PJ. I believe Alltel will be a good National carrier for internet access.
Old 07-01-2006, 10:23 AM   #14
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
My aircard worked in SW Mo, AR, and Iowa, although not in remote areas. Here in Illinois I get a good connection as soon as I get out of the woods. And I love posting to the forum as Glen drives down the road!
Old 07-01-2006, 04:33 PM   #15
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by patodonn

Be sure to check your coverage areas when choosing a carrier. We use Verizon. For talking on the phone, no big problems...but if you are going to try to get "Online", the "Extended Network" provisions of Verizon don't work for that. We've been without Verizon data capability for over a month, and will be for another month +. Here in KS, SW MO, AR, it's Alltel or Cingular or Sprint....but not Verizon. Maybe around Little Rock...don't know yet. Works fine for talking, but not for connecting to the Internet.
I have Verizon's National One-Rate Plan, No Roaming charges. My wife has Verizon's America's Choice Plan and pays roaming charges (we turn hers off when in roaming areas). When we are in a Verizon "Extended Network" area, if it is not roaming, we can get data with both phone plans. We were just in Hutchinson, MN (Verizon Extended Network area). My wife's phone was on digital, mine was analog. We used her phone for e-mail and surfing. Don't know exactly why my phone was analog while hers was digital. But I'm satisfied with the service.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote