Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2017, 08:21 PM   #1
gary s swenson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18604
Front bedroom closet wall

We have a 2017 3721RL. Having problem with right side closet wall coming loose. Dealer "fixed it" and it came loose bringing it home. Anybody have a fix that I can try? Thanks gary

gary s swenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:17 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
I'm not familiar with your setup, but on our rig, the thin plywood panel that is the sidewall of the sliding door closet and also has cleats on the other side that is supposed to support the shelves. Ours came apart a couple of times until I used Gorilla glue and my air stapler to fasten it permanently. I also screwed through the edges of the shelves into the cleats, and have not had anything come loose since.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:26 PM   #3
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
I would glue it so it doesn't come apart no more
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:48 PM   #4
gary s swenson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18604
Hope we got it repaired. I bought an air stapler that shoots staples with a 1/4" crown so they won't pull through the paneling as easy and also used wood glue. I also stapled to a horizontal cross piece in addition to the edge trim. I am bring my stapler to the Rally just in case. See everyone up in Goshen.
gary s swenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:37 AM   #5
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
On our 3402RL, this is where the front of the trailer "flexes" when placing weight on the kingpin. Have the DW watch while loading the kingpin. If it flexes the wall, the fix on ours was to trim the bottom of the panel slightly, allowing for more unimpeded movement.
Before anyone points it out, no we do not have any broken welds or excessive frame flex.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:25 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We replaced the cheap staples with screws and it has never pulled out again.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:20 AM   #7
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I believe bethandkevin hit the nail on the head. I would bet that ALL montanas (and many other sob) flex in that area. My 3455sa flexed quite a bit. My fix was to relieve the pressure by cutting the bottom of the panel off about 1/4 to 3/8". Then I installed a 3/4 by 3/4 strip of stained 1x on each side screwed into the floor only (not into the panel). Now the panel just moves up and down in the groove with the flexing.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:22 AM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Check to see when you hook up if the trim on the outside of the unit moves at all. See if the caulking around the nose of the unit and the trim piece is broken and moves. If it is and if it does, you have frame flex. This has been a common occurrence with some of the Montana's. You can go back into the Archives here on the Forum and bring up frame flex and see what is occurring. It very likely could be this since the plywood/paneling is cut to fit the inside of the closet and when there is frame flex this moves the wall just enough to break this paneling loose. You can check it yourself OR have your dealer check it. If you do have frame flex they will have to remove the front cone and add additional bracing or welds to the frame setup there.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:42 PM   #9
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I know my frame flexes. I can see it going down the road. I have the large level mounted on the pin box and can see the flex in the rear view mirror when I compare the top of the level to the front cap. I do have movement in the trim piece on the side under the bed slide. I was worried about it so I removed both side trims and cleaned everything up and sealed the hell out of them with silicon. I believe ALL fifthwheels have some flex in this area and that it is normal to a certain extent. Mine flexes maybe 1/2" or so. All steel flex's, it is designed to. Ever sit on a good sized bridge stuck in traffic ? You can feel the bridge moving.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:22 AM   #10
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Those of you who cut the bottom of the wall panel off a bit, how? Mine is right flush with the floor, and I don't see how I can cut it against the floor. And I would have a tough time removing the panel from the closet.
Thanks for any info.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:50 AM   #11
rmthelen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12748
Send a message via MSN to rmthelen
An oscillating multi-tool works very nice.
rmthelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:12 PM   #12
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
That wall panel is only 1/8" thick luan plywood. Easily cut with a straight edge and a normal type box cutter knife ( aka drywall knife). you will have to score it several times.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:53 AM   #13
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Thanks for the advice. I think I have a box cutter I can try here on the road.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote