Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2005, 02:18 AM   #21
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Thanks Stiles,

I still ain't a gonna like spiders. But, I do really appreciate the description of the web.

As we HOPE to get to Texas soon, will now know what to look for along the way.

Fears don't stop me much, even my fear of heights and open stairs. I have managed to traverse some great stuff while swallowing the fear, like the cavern at Silver City (think that was the name of that place) in Bronson Missouri. Getting off that platform and down those stairs was a sweat maker for sure, but sure worth it when I got down there.

Not real fond of big airliners either, but get on them if I must. Would rather be in a 4 seater Cessna, thank you very much, my daddy taught me about finding places to land when the carb iced up! My step father taught me short field take offs.

Spiders, I deal with too, AL, come kill this icky thing!

Glad to hear they usually hide, I think I will let them!

Carol

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 03:36 AM   #22
Nesta
Established Member

M.O.C. #2444
LOL Gruffy, That is so funny. and so Canadian. thanks for the giggle.
Nesta
Nesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 04:09 AM   #23
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
LOL, Gruffy, I knew you were a wise and knowledgeable person...just did not know you were such a comedian! LOL
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 05:36 AM   #24
jh1802
Established Member

M.O.C. #2162
I agree with stiles that there is no reason to freak out about this spider. I'm not sure about the web though I was always told they do not make webs. They come out at night to hunt just like the wolf spider. So if you see a brown spider on your wall or ceiling during the day, chances are it is NOT a brown recluse. I know 3 people that have been bitten by this spider. 2 of them went to the doctor as soon as the noticed the bite looking like it was getting worse(even though they didn't even know they had been bitten) and it was taken care of with salve and some antibiotics just to be on the safe side. The 3rd person was a big dummy and let the bite get almost as bad as the picture you see on the webisite I posted earlier. Now he has a real ugly scar and regrets not getting it taken care of. Anyways, you just need to be careful when you get something out of your shed or your attic or basement that has been sitting there a while. Especially in a cardboard box (thier favorite hiding place). Just don't open the box and stick you hands in it without looking first. That's how my wife discovered the one in our xmas tree box that had been sitting in a dark place in our basement for 10 months.
jh1802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 06:21 AM   #25
Montana_265
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #265
Stiles, I don't quite get the discription of the web. Is it one of those that look real thick with a tunnel going into it? After seeing two, I would be wondering if they were male/female and if one could have been pregnant also???? I wonder if both were killed when found... Sorry to be the one spreading the fear, but I looked at the pictures on the website. I don't like spiders, but I do not "fear" them, the recluse & black widow I "fear" even though I have never seen one.
Montana_265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 07:49 AM   #26
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Hi Sissy,
It is not that they don't make a web, but the web does not have a distinct pattern. If you have seen the webs that garden spiders weave, especially when dripping with morning dew, they are obviously a distinct design.

The same is true of many of the small harmless house spiders that build webs up in the corner of your ceiling or in the corner of a window, behind the curtains in the lighted area where flying insects travel. If you tear one down, the spider will build it back using a design similar to the last one he/she built.

With the Brown Recluse the web has very fine "hairs" and is what I might call wispy in appearance -- kind of wind blown. It is my understanding that this kind of web weaving behavior is typical of both the Black Widow and the Brown Recluse.

I certainly am not an entomologist nor am I an expert on this subject. Please, do your definitive research with those who are. It's ok to treat what I say as rumor.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 02:46 AM   #27
Montana_2342
Established Member

M.O.C. #2342
Little back ground - we have new trailer 1st time out in in it we went to a very underused state park. We stayed out the first weekend and elected to leave the rig in its spot for the next weekend. About Wed the first hard freeze of the year was expected for a couple of days so I took out two space heaters and exposed the piping (left cabinet doors open so it didnt freeze anything up) set the thermostats at 45 degrees and closed the trailer all dark back up again. When we came back 4 days later we found the trailers cool but confortable compared to the 22 degrees outside. I closed everything up and got the family settled down for the evening. We found the first spider on the ceiling about 9 o'clock at night. After it normally gets up to hunt and after the area it was resting was disturbed. The second one we found as we were getting ready to leave after 4 days; my wife had hund a plastic bag between the sink and shower in that small crevice, another perfect place.

In hind sight after reading these posts, the links and what I had already known them, I created a perfect little garden spot to get away from the bad weather in where it normally didn't exhist, I all but invited them in without taking the proper precautions. At least no I am armed with a better understanding so I can make sure they are gone and then prevent it from occuring again.

Once you have seen them it they are hard to miss with the fiddle and the velvet coverings. I am sure there can't be too many more in side the trailer it is bad new - only made 1 payment so it shouldn't be too had to ensure the problem doesn't continue.

Barney
Montana_2342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 09:10 AM   #28
Montana_265
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #265
I would be sewing me a nightie out of Bounce sheets.... hee hee
Montana_265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 02:24 PM   #29
mfoss
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2923
I would suggest that you go out and buy a bunch of osage oranges. They go by another name, too, but I can't think of it right now.(Do a google search). They are lime green in color and not edible. I buy several and put each one on a small piece of aluminum foil and place them on my window sills down in the basement. This is where we spend alot of time on the computers. As the oranges become dark and hard do not remove them as they will still be effective in keeping bugs and spiders away. Since doing this about 3 years ago I have almost totally eliminated all the crawlies down here! I used to have a problem with boxelder bugs in the fall and other harmless spiders but no more. This "fruit" is about the size of an orange and smells citrusy. They sell for about .70 and worth every cent. I will definitely be buying quite a few for our rv!
mfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 02:39 PM   #30
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The other name is "hedge apples". We had them in our back yard and put a few in the garage to keep the crickets out. It works. As they get old the shrivel and turn black, though. We didn't put them in foil, just laid them on the concrete floor under benches and shelves but inside I would use the foil. I didn't know they'd repel spiders.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 10:14 PM   #31
Montana_31
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #31
I have found them in a number of campgrouds from Pa. to Missouri. I never knew they had a function other than the squirrels would eat them. They would call them Hedge Apples because farmers would plant the trees to form a border (hedge) around their property.
Montana_31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 10:00 AM   #32
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Their other function is to screw up the blades on your lawnmower. The blades won't quite clear them when they are on the ground, having dropped out of the tree. Have to round up the latest batch before mowing. Now, there's one thing I don't miss....
Old 01-23-2005, 12:02 PM   #33
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
OK, guys, where DO you buy a Hedge Apple?? If it is not edible, surely not the grocery store?? By any chance of the far imagination, we are not talking black walnuts are we?? NAHH, those are not usually planted as a hedge row. OK, GOOGLE, here I come!

But, question stands, WHERE do you buy them??

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 01:37 PM   #34
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
Here is a website that we bought some from.
http://www.osagehedgeballs.com
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 02:45 PM   #35
mfoss
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2923
Yes, they are sold in super markets! Up here in ND I see them in the larger stores in the fall of the year.
mfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 03:26 PM   #36
Montana_2230
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2230
When I was a kid on a farm in Alabama many years ago we called them horse apples. I didn't know they were good for any thing execpt thowing at your buddies until reading these posts. Live and learn!!!
Montana_2230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 08:03 AM   #37
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Carol, I don't recall ever seeing them for sale in any store. If you're in an area with hedge trees, just wander about some country roads and pick up as many as you want. We had hedge trees lining our property line when we had the stick home so had our own "supply". Hedge wood burns very hot in a fireplace, by the way, and crackles and pops a lot. Good in a campfire when you want some warmth but look out for the flying sparks.

As a kind on our grandparent's farm we used to shoot them with bb guns but about all that does is cause them to ooze the sticky milky substance.