Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2004, 03:27 AM   #1
Montana_676
Established Member

M.O.C. #676
bug something?

We had a nice day here in central arkansas yester day,So I decided to wash my montana(a 2955RL).I noticed several small pencil lead sized dots on the trailer.They would not scrub off,But with my finger nail I was able to remove them.To my surprise there was a small red dot underneath that did'nt want to come off.With a lot of elbow grease some did but theres got to be an easier way!Not wanting to damage my gel coat is there something safe I can use,Though I'm not sure I think Lady Bugs may be the culprits. Please advise,Happy Hollidays,Rick.

Montana_676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 03:59 AM   #2
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Here is one of my very first posts on this forum. Still: so far so good.

No doubt, everyone has their own favorites, but I'm willing to share mine. I just cleaned up the exterior of our Montana this week, so I have all the material still before me. I started with a full cleaning of the roof using Thetford Premium Rubber Roof Cleaner and Conditioner [sprayed on full strength then washed off thoroughly with water] from Camping World. Next I cleaned the bugs off the front cap using Thetford Premium Bug Bust [same type of application as the roof cleaner] also from CW. Next the sides and back using Trailer Glitter RV Wash [mixed with water, then rinsed immediately] also from CW. Finally I waxed only the front cap using Meguairs NXT Tech Wax bought at WalMart.

We have had our Montana just a year and a half, but it looks as good as it did the day we bought it. The wax protects the front cap and makes it much easier to get the bugs off the next time. By keeping the roof cleaned and conditioned we do not have any black streaks.

So far so good.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 07:22 AM   #3
Montana_31
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #31
Fort Stockton, texas
Bug Remover
In a 5 gallon bucket add
1 1/2 gallons of water
1/4 gallon washer fluid
a little liquid dish soap (Dawn)
1/2 pint Robbie Magic, stock # 70 (purchase at auto parts store)
and stand back the bugs will jump off!
Montana_31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 09:06 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
LOL, Bob and Donna! Tell me more about this Robbie Magic. What is it? What's in it? Etc. Thanks. (I gotta see the bugs jumping off).
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 01:44 PM   #5
Montana_676
Established Member

M.O.C. #676
I may have been misleading in my previous post, as these are not spots due to pulling the rig. This has happened since its been parked for the last 2 months. No trees over it. Just open air. Have you heard of anything which might cause this.I'm sure its a bug of some type, but have never seen anything quite like it. Thank you once again, please advise, Happy holidays Rick
Old 12-30-2004, 03:41 PM   #6
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rickochet

I may have been misleading in my previous post, as these are not spots due to pulling the rig. This has happened since its been parked for the last 2 months. No trees over it. Just open air. Have you heard of anything which might cause this.I'm sure its a bug of some type, but have never seen anything quite like it. Thank you once again, please advise, Happy holidays Rick
Sounds like the spots left behind by common flies. They seem to be attracted to the warm surface when the sun is out, and leave behind some excremeent that appears exactly as you describe, and is very difficult to remove. When fresh it is not too bad to get off, but after a few days it seems to bake on and has to be almost scraped off. I don't have any magic cure, but try what others have suggested, and good luck!
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 03:41 PM   #7
BigBlue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #109
rickochet
I've had luck using "Bounce" sheets as the rag to wash the front of our fiver along with RV wash & wax.
BigBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 03:44 PM   #8
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
Never had spots that turn red but have had tiny black spots appear. Used carom polish to remove them then was over. The polish has a fine rubbing compound in it.
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 08:48 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Might it be bird droppings where the main residue has since washed off in the rain? I've seen drops like that from birds eating raspberries. I know that can permanently stain the paint on a car.
Old 12-31-2004, 11:59 AM   #10
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Bob & Donna,

You've got to tell more about the "Robbie Magic" in your formula. Did you design this yourself? I'm thinking a patent might be called for here. You might call it "Bob&Donna Magic"

Also can I use a 3 gal. bucket? Don't want to have to go out and buy a new 5er. LOL
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 06:56 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Another question, if I may. Since Dawn is a dishwashing liquid that cuts grease, does that mean it also removes the wax on the nose of the Montana? I guess I could follow with a washing with zip wash to add a layer of wax but was just wondering. thanks.
Old 01-01-2005, 07:29 AM   #12
Still_waters
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1030
I like David's idea of only waxing the front cap. When I look at the Montana and think about waxing it I return to the house and have a toddy until the desire passes. I can handle waxing the front cap!!
Still_waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 12:09 AM   #13
Montana_2302
Established Member

M.O.C. #2302
This might sound like an odd question....but do you wax the decals or avoid them all together? I've not had the pleasure some of you have had as of yet....but plan on doing it this spring.
Montana_2302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 12:42 AM   #14
Montana_31
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #31
I have no connection to the Robbie Magic product. Steve, I have used dish detergent to wash our rubber roof when we owned a Montana. Never noticed any change to the sidewall where it ran down. I suspect any brand of dish detergent is OK. I got this formula at a RV rally in Fredericksburg, Texas. I added the part of the "Bugs jump off" as a bit of humor.
Montana_31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 05:16 AM   #15
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
The black spots are from bugs, I belive that they do come from flies I have had them on all of our rigs at one time or another. A good wax will make it easer to clean them off. As for using dish washing soap, it all will remove the wax, dawn seems to be the best as it is a lot more mild then most. I buy a car wash claener [from costco] I got this info from a paint and fiberglass guy when I was rebuilding my fathers motorhome after he had a misshap that took off about 20 feet of one side.
Mel
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 07:33 AM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The 'bugs jump off' caught my attention! I didn't take it literally but thought it a testament to relatively easy bug removal, which is something I always look for. I use Dawn on the roof, too, and didn't notice any difference on the sides but then the only wax the sides (hi-gloss) have ever had is from washing with zip wash. I might give your formula a try. Anything that will help, I'm in favor of.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:53 AM   #17
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
This in response to a question back up the thread (I've been off line lately): I wax right over the decals, sure wouldn't try to wax around them.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 06:25 PM   #18
Montana_1190
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1190
You might want to give the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser a try. My husband said it worked a lot better than anything he has used. They make them in a large size for cars, etc., but I have yet to find them. Get the one that is totally white, not the one with blue on one side.
Montana_1190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 04:56 AM   #19
Montana_676
Established Member

M.O.C. #676
To all who replied to my Question,I thank you kindly.Hav'nt got to try any yet but I will as soon as the weather allows.I noticed alot of people talking about black streaks.Aside from keeping your roof clean,I clip clothes pegs to the four drain spouts on the roof.When it rains water runs off the end of the peg and away from your rig.I'm newbie Montana hand(2 yrs)so I suppose you've already heard of this trick.until the next time, take care,Rick
Old 01-03-2005, 11:11 AM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
MEinMO, pardon me for being a bit dense and/or confused... Is Mr. Clean Magic Eraser for removing bugs, for waxing the front cap, or cleaning the roof? This thread has been all over the map so I'm really confused.
Thanks.