Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2015, 10:18 AM   #1
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
Black Tank Flush Not Working

As of today my problem is the flush head is plugged. See my last post to this thread.
About a year ago my flush unit would not work. Water was not getting through. I assumed it was the anti syphon unit but given where it is located I didn't really want to get into it. Well a couple days ago I decided to replace it until I saw how much a new one is so I thought I would see if I could figure out why it wasn't working. After making a larger hole in a wall behind the shower I could see the water was coming in but not out. Closer examination showed there was some rusty particles of metal behind the plunger and spring possibly blocking flow out. Pulled it out and got it all cleaned out but still didn't work. After trying several things it finally dawned on me nothing was getting through (tried blowing air) the pipe to the flusher and tank. So my question is does anyone have any ideas on this short of pulling the tank and replacing the flusher head?

49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:58 AM   #2
ckwizard
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14704
Well when mine broke I pulled it out of the wall behind the shower and just plumbed it straight to the tank and installed an external back flow preventer.
Took me about 30 minutes and whatever it cost me for the backflow preventer at home depot 10-15 bucks.
Cheers
ckwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:45 AM   #3
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
If you can't get flow through the pex lines when connected together, then it's time to drop the bottom, take the input to the flush head off to see if flow makes it that far. Assuming it does...then prepare to cut pipes and drop the tank. No easy way out unless you have someone else do the work. John
Old 02-16-2015, 01:23 PM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Although it is an installed option on your unit, and they do their job when they work ... I'd think about just how bad I needed it to be functional. Many of us have had RVs without the tank flush and have lived right on thru it. Flushing a couple of bowls full of water toward the end of dumping, mixing liquid Calgon with a gallon or two of water in the tank between campsites, and traveling with a bag or two of ice in a few gallons of water in the tank are options to consider. Some on the MOC back flush the tank via a hose adaptor at the sewer pipe outlet. Dropping the tank is a bit of a job, costly if you have it done, and quite possibly may end with a leak when it all just doesn't go back together quite right. I'm just thinking out loud here ... it's your deal.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:21 PM   #5
catskiner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9253
I have heard the holes in the flusher head can clog and the fix is to pull it and drill the holes out a size or two bigger.
catskiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 05:35 PM   #6
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
Could you drain the holding tank and take out the back flow preventer. Then couple the tube together and adapt you shop vac to the hose connection on the side of the trailer.... Note be sure to drain the tank first or you could have a large mess.... By pulling a vacumn on the pec line you might be able to pull any partials lodged in the spray head into the shop vac.. Just a thought..
Old 02-16-2015, 06:21 PM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I tend to agree with Diesel Guy. Never had one before the Monty and seemed to get by just fine. I like it and I removed the back flow preventer and go with an external one, but I wouldn't drop the tank to try and fix it. I just don't like it that much.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:28 AM   #8
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
There was a video circulating either on this forum or another, can't recall exactly where (getting old). They had a holding tank out of a unit and were testing several ways to rinse it out. If I recall the built-in flush valve didn't work any better than any other method.

I have been using my Flush King for the past few months and will probably continue. It seems to rinse my black tank quicker. In addition, every so often I close the grays one at a time and back flush them also several times. Since doing this I never get any type of smell from sinks or my black tank.

If my built-in black tank flush quit working I wouldn't spend a dime or my money or 5 minutes of my time fixing it. I think my Flush King cost me around $35.00 and I can see how it is working.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:30 AM   #9
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Agree with others about it's a convenience that I'd easily manage to live without if it broke.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:49 AM   #10
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
I agree it's not worth pulling the tank. It will undoubtedly fail some day and I could check the flush head at that time. Having already replaced both grey tanks I'm not looking forward to that job again. I have been using my Flush King since the built in unit failed. So that will do for now. Drifty1 your thought may be worth a try. Will probably give that a try when I get home. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
Bob
Old 03-11-2015, 04:17 PM   #11
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
Does anyone know where the flush head is located on the tank? The top or side? My problem is the head is apparently all plugged up. Probably old dried out sewage.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:35 PM   #12
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Deleted, someone already suggested what I wrote
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote