Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2004, 07:05 AM   #1
GordonR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1801
Send a message via AIM to GordonR
My canoe carrying problem solved

Although we're inside the city limits, Carol and I basically live in the woods. My canoe is on blocks at the edge of the yard - 20 feet or so from the Monty. We've been trying to think of any way we could take it with us on our trip to the U.P. starting next week. Too long for the ladder, no way to put it on the truck, maybe on top of the Monty, but that's a stretch (no pun intended).

The problem was fianlly solved last night. In a series of storms during the night, the canoe was converted into some strange, and definitely non-seaworthy shape by a fairly large oak tree. I guess God just did not want that canoe to be associated with the Monty.

I was a little sad, but then I remembered what FlaNative, Rob and others have been through. I decided to interpret the situation as "even God likes the Montana".

Now, I've got three days to find a folding or inflatable small boat or canoe. AND no guilt about having two boats!.

Gordon

PS - Pancake shaped canoe for sale - cheap! Paddles and life jackets optional.

GordonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 07:29 AM   #2
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Well thank goodness the Montana was spared any damage! *whew*

Let us know what you decide to buy and how you'll carry it as I know my husband is still racking his brain on how to carry a water-worthy vessel with us. He's trying real hard to come up with something in time to put it on his list for Santa.
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 07:36 AM   #3
GordonR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1801
Margee - I'll let you know what we end up doing. If anyone else has experience with a small collabsible of some kind, please chime in.
Gordon
Old 08-28-2004, 10:40 AM   #4
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
Whew Gordon that was a close call. that river must attract that weather. a friend of mine owns the Best Western there. He was in a tornada there. Wasn't hurt but took some windows out of his truck.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 12:37 PM   #5
FireTruckerWife
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1629
Take a look at www.seaeagle.com. See if something doesn't strike your fancy. We did.
FireTruckerWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 03:01 PM   #6
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
I'd also love to have some sort of transportable seaworthy (or at least lakeworthy) boat - withdrawal symptoms from the boating addiction are tough to put up with.

Also thought of SeaEagle but like all inflatables they sit on top of the water which does not make them very seaworthy - also vey skittish in the slightest wind.

Wish I knew the answer. PLEASE someone come up with a good idea! I need to call Santa soon!

At least the Monty was unharmed. Now that would have been a disaster!
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 07:20 PM   #7
Mels Musty Music
Established Member

M.O.C. #1044
Gordon - Wish I had more time to elaborate but we are leaving for Canada in a couple of hours and will have no internet service for a while.
My suggestion is to look at the Port-a-Bote products. I have a 12 foot that I mounted on the LR slide of the Cougar 5th wheel we had prior to purchasing our Montana. They sell the mounting brackets for just this purpose. I am now looking at building an enclosure that will mount under the trailer as this one is much higher than our old Cougar but won't be able to get to it till this winter.
If you are not familiar with Port-a-Botes they fold to about 4 inches and a 12 footer weighs about 70 pounds.
Wish I could remember their web site but if you do a Google search on Port-a-Bote it should get further info for you. Good luck.
Hank
Mels Musty Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 08:03 PM   #8
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Glad to hear you Montana was spared. Could have been much worse. Happyrving......
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 05:30 AM   #9
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Check out the boat loaders from Eide at http://www.eideboatloader.com/
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 06:36 AM   #10
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
The canoe could have gone the other way and attacked the Monty!

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 09:33 AM   #11
GordonR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1801
John - I suppose it could. Maybe it tried and the tree went after it to save the Monty!
Gene - it wasn't a tornado this time. Just a lot of wind after the ground was really saturated. If I could figure out how to post a pic, I would. That'll be a project for after the vacation.
Thanks for the tips on replacements. I like the Porta Boat. Too bad they don't tell you where to buy one on the web site. Don't have time for one to be shipped.
Gordon
Old 08-30-2004, 04:30 AM   #12
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
That stinks it was ruined but I'm glad everything else was ok. Was it covered by insurance?

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by GordonR

Although we're inside the city limits, Carol and I basically live in the woods. My canoe is on blocks at the edge of the yard - 20 feet or so from the Monty. We've been trying to think of any way we could take it with us on our trip to the U.P. starting next week. Too long for the ladder, no way to put it on the truck, maybe on top of the Monty, but that's a stretch (no pun intended).

The problem was fianlly solved last night. In a series of storms during the night, the canoe was converted into some strange, and definitely non-seaworthy shape by a fairly large oak tree. I guess God just did not want that canoe to be associated with the Monty.

I was a little sad, but then I remembered what FlaNative, Rob and others have been through. I decided to interpret the situation as "even God likes the Montana".

Now, I've got three days to find a folding or inflatable small boat or canoe. AND no guilt about having two boats!.

Gordon

PS - Pancake shaped canoe for sale - cheap! Paddles and life jackets optional.
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 05:42 AM   #13
GordonR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1801
Yup. Insurance would cover it. Just that the $500 canoe doesn't meet the $1000 deductible. We may go ahead and pick up one of the inflatables from Camping World on the way through Louisville. It's not the perfect answer, but it'll get us on the water during the trip north. I'll work on a longer term solution over the winter.
Gordon
Old 08-30-2004, 05:48 AM   #14
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Keep us posted on the inflateable... I have been sorta interested in the Kyak Wall-Mart sells. I wonder if they are any good??
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote