Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2004, 04:57 AM   #1
Montana_1945

M.O.C. #1945
water heater switch

Im the proud new owner of a 3295 rk. I noticed the only way to turn the electric on to the water heater is by opening the outside cover of the water heater to turn on a switch. Is there supposed to be a switch on the inside of the coach. There is a switch for the propane on the inside by the water pump. Did the dealer overlook something or is this standard.

Montana_1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 06:00 AM   #2
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
That's the only way (from the Factory) to turn on the electric. I have ( along with many others) have installed a switch inside to turn it on. My water heater is located under the kitchen sink so access was simple. I cut the electric line to the heater and installed a lighted switch under the sink.
Others with Your floorplan( I think) use the breaker to turn it on and off instead of opening the outside panel, my breaker panel is not that convenient to open and close(thumbscrews are a PITA).

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 04:50 PM   #3
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Yepper that is standard.The only problem I have with that set up is getting that darn cotter pin back in the little hole.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 06:53 PM   #4
Roofcam
Established Member

M.O.C. #1300
Send a message via AIM to Roofcam
fwhitetail.....Below is the procedure I used to install a more convenient water heater switch inside the coach. The lighted (so you can easily tell when it's turned on) switch I preferred is made by Cooper, and the part number is 277-W, Quiet Switch with Pilot, $6.49 at Ace hardware.

I found access to the junction box on the heater on my unit to be too restrictive, so I did the following:

1) I cut the romex where it passes over the top of the heater.
2) Ran a white wire from the silver screw on the switch to both of the cut romex white wires (one from the circuit breaker and one from the heater, so 3 wires are connected here.)
3) Ran a black wire from the circuit breaker side of the cut romex black wire to the brass screw on the switch.
4) Ran a red wire from the heater side of the cut romex black wire to the black screw on the switch (left side of the switch).
5) Connected all ground wires at the romex cut, and attached it to the ground screw on the switch.

Hope this helps.
Roofcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 04:18 PM   #5
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
We have a 3295 and I just turn the breaker on and off. It is real easy to get to as you enter the door. I think that is the easiest way.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 07:26 PM   #6
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Congratulations on your new coach. Happy to have you folks. Keep us posted. Happyrving.....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 04:29 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We also use the breaker. On our 3295rk it's the one on the outside end of the breaker box. The water heater is the only thing on that circuit in ours. Ours has a single turn-knob to open the breaker box. If yours has one of the more difficult to open type you might want to consider adding the separate switch like some other folks have done.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote