Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2013, 04:20 PM   #1
iowaone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8421
Level Up Questions

How does the system work when the site is not level. How far off can it be? Do you sometime or all the times use block or a large pad on some of the Jacks. Any insites you can give me on how this system works when the sites are not very level would be helpful since I am considering adding it. Thanks

iowaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
We have yet to be in a position where the site was not level enough to use our level up system. With that said, I do carry extra boards "in case". If I find a site that doesn't look close to level I usually avoid it and look for a better site if available. There are a lot of us with the system so I'm sure there will be a number of examples of how far out of level you can be for the system. It's a great system which we have enjoyed for 2 years on our '08. No matter what the future brings as long as we are RVing, level up will be a part of it.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:20 PM   #3
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Well iowaone I am new to using the Level Up system on our trailer but here is my experience in case it helps you in any way. Disclaimer...I LOVE THE LEVEL UP SYSTEM!

On level sites it is a dream to work with. You just have to make sure the original setting, what is known as the zero point set, is correct. We had our dealership set it while it was in the shop because the pad our trailer rests on at home is truly sloped. Once that was set it performs great on level ground. Easy to unhook and easy to rehook up!

Last year we went to Bozeman and we arrived late at night. We were exhausted and so ran it through an auto-level sequence and we thought the site was level. The next morning I kept grumbling that the trailer was rocking more than normal. Well...when we went to go check on it the trailer WAS level but ALL of the tires were off the ground. I guess the only way the system could get it level was to raise the sides up so high. No wonder why the trailer was rocking! Once we realized our error it was quickly resolved. The site was high on one side (the kitchen side) and VERY low on the door side. So we simply took advantage of the tires being raised in the air and put some lynx levelers under the tires on the door side. Then we lowered the system down and had it run through the auto-level again and voila! Issue resolved! No more rocking and all of the tires were touching! Now...another disclaimer...the level up system does NOT condone using the leveling system to change a tire or raise them off the ground for any other reason. I would not recommend it either. However, we just took advantage of what had already occurred because of our sheer stupidity! If we had been smart we would have broken out a flashlight the night before and actually checked that the tires were still on the ground and that the site was level. What can I say...we were tired!

I have demonstrated the system to many people and everyone walks away amazed that it is so quick and easy to use. Most of the times we have used the trailer (keep in mind we only purchased it last August) we have NOT had to use any pads under the tires. We just use a lynx pad under the leveling feet...just to prevent sinking (probably overkill but it gives me something to do).

With all of that in mind I would recommend that you play around with it before you actually HAVE to use it at night. Here is why! If you are using the same system Level Up it is not the most intuitive thing on the planet. For example, if you want to retract just the door side rear levelers you can't just push retract rear and pick a side. It retracts the 'rear'...meaning ALL in a certain order. It took some getting used to so make sure you have some time to learn it. I didn't heed my own advice. We took our rig to Yellowstone, arrived late, and I had to figure the system out in the pitch dark. UGH! By now you have probably figured out that I am a true 'blonde'! Please do not hold it against me! At least I am sharing my steep learning curve in the hopes that others will have a gently climb!

Let me know if you have any further questions!
BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:59 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Currently the ground on our door side is six inches lower than the other side in rear and eight inches lower in the front. Level up just ran the feet out and leveled us right up. I'm not sure how far off you can be before it gives up, but it's going to be a pretty rough site.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:03 PM   #5
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
DQDick when it is that far off in various ways do you put leveling blocks under the tires or do you just let the system handle it? I will be curious to see how everyone sets up at Q! I have so much to learn!
Old 01-08-2013, 07:21 PM   #6
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
I leveled up on a site that was low on the door side. When I pushed the level up it did its job but had the door side tires about 1 inch off the ground. I called the Montana dealer and the shop manager said no problem. Was that way for 4 days. No movement or any problems.

Frank
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #7
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Never had a problem with any site , right now my site is so unlevel that after the 6 point did it's thing both drivers side wheels are OFF the ground and inside perfectly level so YEAH IT WORKS ! on just about any site...Pretty cool!!!!
Old 01-08-2013, 11:17 PM   #8
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Ditto us with wheels off the ground. At first we were worried but have used it to change tires which is a no no according to Lippert.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:30 AM   #9
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Question: If not level, do you chock the wheels?
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:49 AM   #10
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Quote:
quote:Question: If not level, do you chock the wheels?
Answer: Yes, even though the chock and tire may not be touching one another after leveling.

Carol, you are absolutely right about what Lippert's documentation, such that it is, says about using the Level Up to change a tire. However, the engineer who designed the system flat out told all of us at last year's rally that it was an added "feature". He even raised the trailer frame he had. Liability reasons, in our opinion.

We have used it to change a tire. If our trailer can sit for a while with one side off the ground, it can certainly hold it up for the 20 minutes it takes to change a tire. BTW, I'm not as fast as the old man in A Christmas Story.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:54 AM   #11
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Michael you are too funny! I don't think anyone is as fast as the father in Christmas Story! I think in a pinch we would use it to help us change a tire too. I agree that it is a liability issue but I am glad you told me the engineer mentioned it. That makes me feel better.

As for the question about chocks we ALWAYS chock our tires. My father was a pilot and I got in the habit of chocking the tires of airplanes so I am probably chock in an overkill fashion (front & back on both sides) but old habits die hard. We just got some x-chocks and I have heard that they are great. I will be curious to see how they do.

The always chock the tires before my husband unhitches the truck. One time the hitch was not perfectly straight and the planets were not in alignment and the truck started pulling the trailer forward! Luckily the chocks stopped it and I was able to get him to stop and figure the situation out.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #12
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Carol,

Since we Wal-dock a lot, we have gotten pretty good at leveling the trailer while still hooked up to our TV. Once the rear four legs have leveled the 5er, I lower the front legs to take some strain off the frame of the trailer while still hooked to our truck. In fact, our signature picture shows us in a Walmart in New Mexico.

I then put this photo on my TV instrument cluster so I don't mistakenly start to drive off with the jacks down...

Old 01-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #13
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
BusyCarol,

If you have the 6 point leveling system be carefull of the X-chocks.
I use X-chocks on my last 5th wheel and they worked fine. When I bought the Big Sky with the 6 point leveling system and used the X-chocks I had a problem. When I installed the X-chocks on both sides and started the leveling system, on one side as the leveling started the tires would spread apart and the X-chock would fall out. On the others side the tires would go togather and the X-chock would get so tight it would push the tires togather so tight that the chock wrench would not even work. I now use the heavy black rubber comercial truck chocks.

Frank
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:00 PM   #14
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
As Frank said, don't use X-chocks..
Old 01-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #15
iowaone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8421
Wow! Thanks for all the helpful information. This group is amazing as always. I am glad you mentioned the xchocks issue or I would have got caught with that for sure.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:19 PM   #16
iowaone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8421
I noticed in their adv. that compares system they list one of the advangages of the Level Up is that you can use to change tires. Hmm
Old 01-09-2013, 02:35 PM   #17
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Oh ffffffffudge. Don't forget Ralphie helped change the tire.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:48 PM   #18
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by snfexpress

Since we Wal-dock a lot, we have gotten pretty good at leveling the trailer while still hooked up to our TV.
You guys must be VERY SERIOUS about your television if you level your system while still hooked up to your 'TV'! Sorry!!! I just had to tease you on that one because it took me a minute for my blonde brain to translate that to 'tow vehicle'!!!

Uhoh! Keith is not going to be too happy to hear we shouldn't have ordered the X-Chocks!!! Oh well! We may have to run by Camping World on the way down to Q and return them! UGH!
Old 01-11-2013, 04:23 AM   #19
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Thanks Michael and Frank. I thought that was the chocking answer. I had a MH and the wheel chocks could not be used with the leveling system. Wanted to make sure that nothing has changed in this area...
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote