Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #21
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Brent and the mobil service-man Eli could not have been nicer and more helpful. Good folks them Tire Pro guys

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:48 PM   #22
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Ozz, I have seen this many times on the steer tires of class 8 road tractors that I was driving for someone else.

Sorry to say that I never learned what caused it. I would just write them up and new tires would appear.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:58 PM   #23
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Interesting, concave around both edges?
I plan on sending the Goodyear area supervisor my pictures, but AFTER I get mine. We all need to know. I wonder what will happen in another 4500 miles. Others here need to know also.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:26 PM   #24
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
You bet! Keep us informed.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:21 PM   #25
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
The ones I saw at the rally on another Montana were worn down worse than OZZ's, therefore I think they will continue to wear as you drive them. I did not notice the wear on mine until I had about 15K on them.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:31 AM   #26
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Really odd Ozz as my tires are doing the same and as I have stated the tires are Sailun name brand. Where to heck that name come from I have no idea, but they are doing the same identical thing!

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:58 AM   #27
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Champ_49

Really odd Ozz as my tires are doing the same and as I have stated the tires are Sailun name brand. Where to heck that name come from I have no idea, but they are doing the same identical thing!

Dave

Here is their web site:
http://www.sailuntires.ca/en/tires/s637.html
Old 10-13-2012, 04:45 AM   #28
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Ozz,

That is exactly what my tires look like with 8,500 miles on them. Only thing is my GOOD sides look like that. The bad sides (inside of both driver side tires) are much worse.

I think when I hear back from CW I'm going to push them for new tires as well.

Here is a link to an interesting article by Bridgestone about shoulder wear and how they keep it under control. By the looks of this article my wear will only accelerate.

http://www.bridgestonetrucktires.com...ra_techspk.asp
Gkerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:49 AM   #29
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
It will be interesting to hear what they have to say. Mine had around 4500 miles on them.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:06 AM   #30
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Ozz,

Did you ever have alignment or camber checked?

The reason I ask is simply since some are having this problem and some are not.

I'd hate to see you go thru this hassle and the new ones just do the same thing. Are you going to keep the old ones? Probably next to impossible since you are on the road.

I didn't notice mine till I had that mileage... My quick looks for cuts and bubbles obviously were not detailed enough. By then they were pretty worn.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:11 AM   #31
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
The equal wear on the inside and outside of every tire would rule that out.
But, I don't see anything from keeping it from happening again. Goodyear was no help on that part at all.
I am not done...
I am contacting Mark Krohl from Tredit, where I got the tires and wheels.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:18 AM   #32
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

The equal wear on the inside and outside of every tire would rule that out.
But, I don't see anything from keeping it from happening again. Goodyear was no help on that part at all.
I am not done...
I am contacting Mark Krohl from Tredit, where I got the tires and wheels.
That's right. Duh. My wear is about 4x worse on the inside than outside. I didn't get a photo but it was pretty nasty.

When you get a chance read that article I posted above. It talks about this type of wear. The interesting thing is as the wear develops - it would accelerate as the worn spot is moving at a different rotational speed against the pavement due to a smaller diameter.

I've been reading up and learning way more about this stuff than I want to.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:24 AM   #33
Lee F.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10754
Has anyone had this problem with the light truck tires a lot of us use or is it just the G614?
Lee F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:37 AM   #34
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
AHA - I thought I had seen this before and it was on semi truck/trailers but I don't recall on which tires (truck or trailer). Of course I would have no idea why this happened and if this happened to me it would irritate me like it's irritating Ozz.

It must occur when making turns of any kind at highway speeds with a trailer's fixed axles (no differential) that could cause the edges to skew in a turn, but why does this not occur for all of us with any tire? Have you ever noticed what the tires look like on a slow turn? They are no where near to straight up and down, so I can only imagine just normal driving around and turning on curves and stuff could be part of the problem. But why this only occurs with some tires, or on some rigs, well, you got me there.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:14 AM   #35
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Trust me Art.... Ozz is not the only Irritated one

From everything I've read - I think that this is definitely not a function of turning. But then again what it is I haven't a clue so what do I know.

I have read about this problem on other forums at other times though so its not an isolated problem limited to us lucky few.

I'm wondering if this is just a flaw in the design that is exacerbated by certain rigs. Once it gets started perhaps it accelerates.

I wish we had a way to tabulate what rigs are having what problems.

Another poster asked if any people using regular LT tires were having this problem. I'd love to see if thats the case or if its limited to the G614's

I love the extra margin of security these tires provide but this wear issue could be a big downer for me on what is an expensive tire.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:07 AM   #36
MikeM
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6892
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Lee F.

Has anyone had this problem with the light truck tires a lot of us use or is it just the G614?
As I indicated in an earlier post, I'm having exactly the same wear pattern with Bridgestone Duravis R250s.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:29 AM   #37
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MikeM

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Lee F.

As I indicated in an earlier post, I'm having exactly the same wear pattern with Bridgestone Duravis R250s.
Do you have a flat shoulder on the Bridgestones like the G614's have?

Old 10-13-2012, 12:29 PM   #38
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
Seems to me that higher inflation presssures should help reduce the wear on the shoulders to some degree. I also have to wonder what role side winds and road camber play in this equation. Sure makes me rethink buying $2000 worth of tires for my trailer. I already have an allignment issue that I hope to get properly repaired under warranty this winter or spring. New tires will be installed at that time.
woodtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:20 PM   #39
lostshakerofsalt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10012
After reading the entire thread on this issue I feel I need to put in my $.02 worth in. I have approximately 22k miles on my G614s. I noticed the subject wear pattern on my tires at the end of our travel season last year with about 13k miles on them. I was concerned but did not feel there was an extreme safety issue. This is because the tires have sufficient rubber on them to allow regrooving after the tread has been worn off. The actual excess wear is less than 4/32 of an inch and considering the tread depth was about 10/32 inch, I felt monitoring further wear was proper.

This year I have put another 10k on the tires and have noticed a reduction in the relative wear between the edges and the center tread. The difference in driving between last year and this has been that we spent almost the entire season last year in the mountains out west and this year spent most of it in the plains states and east coast. There might be something to the wear being related to heavy turning on two lane roads in New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Idaho, Oregon, California, Washington, etc., you get the picture.

Additionally, this year I noticed that after driving on long straight stretches of Interstate the tread would be nice and clean and there still may be dust on the edges. Once I drove over a dirt/gravel spot (like the entrance into an RV park), the non-edge tread picked up fresh dust but the worn edges were cleaner. If I made turns on dirt/gravel then the worn areas also picked up dust. This indicates that the edge wear areas are not in contact with the road when driving on highways without a lot of turns and the edge wear may be related to the way tandem axles handle turns.

These tires are radials and despite the Unisteel construction, there is sidewall flex. Because the axles are not rigid (like the rear axles on my truck) the tires flex along the edges like a steering tire. I do not think I would call the edge wear "shredding", unsettling, possibly. At first I was concerned but not to the point of trying to have them replaced. As I have said, these tires have a lot of rubber on them and I would need to see more than 4/32 inch extra wear to raise a red flag.

Oh, yeah, I recently increased my TP to 110 psi (cold) and am monitoring to see if there is excessive center wear. I also rotate my tires (4 tire rotation) every 5k miles.

While at the Fall Rally this year, Keystone replaced one of my G614s because it had excessive cupping from an out of balance condition. So, I have three tires with ~23k miles and one with ~3k miles. I will watch that tire to see if it develops the same edge wear as the other three. I will also be purchasing a 5th G614 and wheel over the winter and this will allow me to do a 5 tire rotation instead for 4 tire.

This has been more of a $.05 worth. Am I disatisfied with the tires, no. Would I recommend them, yes. Would I buy them again, yes (maybe not at $350 each though). I think the edge wear is curious and think it is a related to tandem axle flexing.

By the way I had them looked at by a Goodyear Service Center in October and they did not feel there was anything unusual with the wear. I asked them about the process to have them regrooved when I had worn the tread out and they just laughed. They explained that the tires would reach the age limit before I would need to get them regrooved even putting 10-13k miles/year on them. I still have 3/4 of the tread left on the tires and that may be true.
Home is where we park it
lostshakerofsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:57 PM   #40
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
My first set of G14's that I had for 7 years had the identical wear pattern. Never effected the performance of the tires at all. Ran them at 104 to 106 psi. This tire is a special tire made for heavy trailers with a very stiff Kevlar side wall to resist sideways movement. My second set now will probably show the same pattern. My axles are aligned and bearings serviced every year.

Maybe that service man was correct.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote