Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #1
johnp4191
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6664
air conditioner leaking water

We have been having a problem with our air conditioner leaking the condensate into the rv thru the roof vent. When the ac turns off the water runs off the roof like it should. Any suggestions as to what could be wrong?
Judi

johnp4191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:25 PM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
A couple questions-- What are you running the A/C on? Are you running it on auto? Do you have your fan on high or low? All of these can be part of the problem if not run correctly! Two more questions-- where are you located and what is the humidity like there?
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:40 AM   #3
johnp4191
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6664
The ac is on auto and the fan is on high. We are in Wisconsin, the temps were in the 90's with high humidity. It cools fine and not freezing up, it's like the water is bbeing pulled into the fan. This didn't happen when we first bought the rv. It started doing this a while ago and we haven't figured it out.

Judi

Old 07-15-2012, 03:56 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
The drain from the AC to the roof could be partially clogged letting water build up that the fan can pull. Just a guess based on what your saying.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:16 AM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Think about how level you may or may not be as well, it only takes a bit of a change in the way you are sitting and water will run in different directions.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:20 AM   #6
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
DQDICK's idea would be the first thing I checked.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:50 AM   #7
johnp4191
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6664
All ready checked the line it is open.
Judi
Old 07-15-2012, 09:18 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I think at one time, one A/C brand had a problem with that, I don't remember any details, you guys should add your trailer make, model and year to your sig. so we can help better.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:44 AM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
If you checked that the "line is open", there could be a few other things. First, the roof seal could be compromised and need replacing, reseating or similar like what's been mentioned. Second, the drain might not be clear enough if the amount of condensation exceeds how fast this water gets drained - just because you see some water coming out the drain, one must open the shroud and actually look. Lastly the A/C could just be plain broken which requires someone to get on the roof and open it up to find the water source. Just because the water is getting into the rig, there could be so many ways to get to that point that an inspection is necessary. I fear that in this case, a trip up the ladder is warranted. But don't ignore it since this water could be the last straw of evidence to other places or reasons of failure.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:03 PM   #10
johnp4191
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6664
We had the vent on the a/c open, which let the cool air into the rv above the ceiling fan. Closing that vent directs the air down the ducts to exit through the vents in the LR and BR. When we closed that a/c vent, the water stopped dripping and it drained across the roof, like it should.

We've been on the roof several times and have opened up the entire a/c.
The camper is dead level.
The water line is open.
The roof seal does need to be glued back in place. We did our best to get it back into place without glue.
We looked for a drain trap? that may be allowing the water to come back into the a/c but didn't find one.

Our current thought is that having the a/c vent open allowed to much suction from the fan and caused the water to be pulled into the a/c instead of allowing it to drain out properly.

When we ran the a/c overnight and this morning with the vent above the ceiling fan closed and we didn't have water coming into the rv. We hope this was the fix!

Judi
Old 07-15-2012, 06:25 PM   #11
alandaudrey
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9011
I'm wondering if Carol didn't hit on something worth considering. She said that just a small change in leveling the trailer affects the way the condensate runs off of the roof. Judi said their rig was dead level.

Last year while we were visiting MI we had the same problem. I also removed the A/C cover and the sheet metal around the evaporator and fan motor. I also had no blockage of the drain holes. I dumped probably a gallon of water into the drip pan and the water drained normally through the drain holes. The inside of the evaporator was clean and there were no leaves or trash anywhere in the unit. The one thing I do remember was I too was perfectly level. I remember because it usually doesn't happen. As much as I try I usually am a small bit off of level.

After we left MI I didn't run the forward A/C again until we got back into the warmer climate several months later. I was going to give everything another look before I would depend on the forward A/C before leaving the trailer with it running. I have never been bothered with the leak again and living in Texas we do run at least one A/C almost all of the time. I'm wondering that maybe if the trailer is perfectly level that possibly it changes the drain characteristics or retains the condensate in the drip pan?

Judi, maybe you could lower or raise your landing gear a slight amount and see if things change? Just a hunch and it would be an easy fix.
alandaudrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:08 AM   #12
Fireater99
Established Member

M.O.C. #12310
We had the same problem on our new 345DBQ. The service tech found that there wasn't good separation between the fan and the cooling box on the A/C unit
Fireater99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:45 AM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
The seal for the A/C unit needs to be torqued down, if you noticed it needs glue, (mine was not glued down, didn't need glue) I bet it can be tightened down, I think there are 4?? places to do this, worth a try.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote