Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2005, 09:22 PM   #1
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
Solar on a Monty???

What are your experiences with solar?? Still waiting for Gypsy and/or Dave Anderson (HamRad said they have a nice set-up)to respond to my question about solar installation (or anyone else for that matter).
mikey & ronnilu

ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 03:39 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ronnilu

What are your experiences with solar?? Still waiting for Gypsy and/or Dave Anderson (HamRad said they have a nice set-up)to respond to my question about solar installation (or anyone else for that matter).
mikey & ronnilu
We have solar on our Montana. Have had it for over two years. Four panels, 2,000 watt inverter, 2 Lifeline D8 12V batteries (510 ampere hours of storage) along with monitor panels. Great system and we use it a lot since we boondock (no hookups) whenever we can.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 12:04 PM   #3
Dave Anderson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1654
ORV, Sounds like you have a sweet system, I'm putting on one more panel to give me about 10 Amps input. Do you have a Trimetric Meter ? Are you going to be in Quartzsite this winter? We intend to head that direction about the 5th of Jan. and stay out at Scadan wash or at Boomerville( an escapee hangout ) I went with the 6 volt batts. in series and parralel for 440 amps weigh about 260 for the 4 I think you have a little more Lbs. than that . also went with the Honda 3000 gen.set. heavy, but will run my AC or my40 amp charger-- DAVE
Dave Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 07:15 AM   #4
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
Hi Mike & Ronni, (I sent this message by email to you also)

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I've been involved in an RV rally and haven't had much time to spend online.

My solar system was installed (aftermarket) by one of the top experts in the field, John Palmer. His web site is http://www.jolynenterprises.com/. You might want to contact him for info and advice.

Hope this helps,
Sharon
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 10:56 AM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dave Anderson

ORV, Sounds like you have a sweet system, I'm putting on one more panel to give me about 10 Amps input. Do you have a Trimetric Meter ? Are you going to be in Quartzsite this winter? We intend to head that direction about the 5th of Jan. and stay out at Scadan wash or at Boomerville( an escapee hangout ) I went with the 6 volt batts. in series and parralel for 440 amps weigh about 260 for the 4 I think you have a little more Lbs. than that . also went with the Honda 3000 gen.set. heavy, but will run my AC or my40 amp charger-- DAVE
We won't be at Quartzite, but Gypsy will. He has a similar system to mine. No, we don't have a Trimetric Meter. We have the HPV-22 monitor panel that multiplies the current coming down from the panels to the batteries. The reason we went with the Lifeline AGM batteries (even though they weigh more) is because they are sealed. There is no gas given off and we don't have to worry about that. There is some speculation that you really don't want to have gas given off in the same compartment where your inverter is located. Also, John Palmer, Palmer Enterprises, Lake City, FL who did our installation didn't recommend the 6 volt golf cart batteries. He would have put them in if I had insisted.

As previously mentioned, Gypsy will be at Quartzite. He has posted similar responses to mine here and elsewhere. Good luck.
Old 10-29-2005, 12:03 PM   #6
Dave Anderson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1654
Orv & marge,I agree with John, that is why I mounted my inverter and batt. chgr. on the opposit wall inside my basement. I must tell you that gypsy is not a "HE" but a neat lady that travels by herself in a really well tricked out Monty, even has hydrolic levelers. we will be wondering around the southwest til Feb.24th when we go into Mexico, maybe we'll run into you somewhere------Dave
Old 10-29-2005, 03:40 PM   #7
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
Thanks for the clarification, Dave. Maybe I should be flattered that I 'sound' like a man on the forum?!?

The Gypsy's a Lady!
Old 10-29-2005, 04:01 PM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gypsy

Thanks for the clarification, Dave. Maybe I should be flattered that I 'sound' like a man on the forum?!?

The Gypsy's a Lady!
Sorry about misunderstanding. I guess my chauvinistic upbringing just made me think that anyone that could talk about solar panels and RVing just had to be a man. Hope I get to meet you some day, somewhere.
Orv
Old 10-29-2005, 04:14 PM   #9
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
Thanks, Orv. I'll take the misunderstanding as a compliment!

I'm actually in Lakewood, NM right now, but you're not here - are you?
Old 10-30-2005, 01:57 AM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gypsy

Thanks, Orv. I'll take the misunderstanding as a compliment!

I'm actually in Lakewood, NM right now, but you're not here - are you?
No, we're stuck in Livingston, TX waiting for our transmission to be shipped in from Phoenix where it was overhauled under warranty. We have a lot at The Ranch in Lakewood (Lot 83) and we were hoping to spend about 6 weeks there before going on to Desert Hot Springs, CA. But now it looks like we will only be in Lakewood for about 3-4 weeks, over Thanksgiving.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:54 AM   #11
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
Sorry you missed Roundup, Orv & Marge. I'm enjoying the event and seeing The Ranch. It's a great place! Will be leaving tomorrow to head west.

Good luck with your transmission. Glad it's covered under warranty.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:36 PM   #12
Dave Anderson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1654
Sharon, Sorry if I blew your cover!!! I hope you will be going to the big "Q" in Jan, or Feb, would enjoy seeing you again,hope some of the Montanas could get together,==Dave