Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2005, 03:47 PM   #1
rogersuemegan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3579
Send a message via AIM to rogersuemegan
How many of you gals drive your rig?

Just wondering how many of you drive your rig on road trips? My hubby will not let me drive, I have told him that I want to have him take me out and let me learn, just in case I would need to someday. I have pulled boat trailers, and farm wagons, but not the Monty. I am sure I could drive it without any problems, but he is not too sure!!! I am not sure that I would like to drive it in city traffic or back up, but am willing to learn!! What do the rest of you think? (by the way I have NEVER had a ticket or accident in 44 years of driving so.....)

rogersuemegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 04:04 PM   #2
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Just the opposite here. Bill keeps asking me when I'm going to drive and I keep saying "When I really need to." I'm in no hurry but if it was an emergency I know I could do it.
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 04:14 PM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
I do, cannot back it up, but can drive and DO! If gals can drive school buses, and 18 wheelers, gals can drive Montana. We have several single gals here that own and drive their rigs, and they CAN back up!

rogersuemegan, your suggestion that you need to know HOW before a serious problem comes up is exactly why I do! Have had the situation a couple of times in our many years of RVing where Al was very ill, and I had to drive. Just knowing I could reduced the stress of the overall situation.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 04:21 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well My Wife Helen has been driving our rigs as long as I have and she can drive it as well or better than Myself.The last set up we had was the F-350 Ford SD, CC, Long bed, Dually pulling a 32 foot Terry TT, total length 53 feet.We sold the TT and will be pulling a 3670 Montana soon.We usually change drivers at every fuel stop,makes the trip much more relaxing for both of us. She can also set up and take down the RV and has done so on many occasions when I was working and she drove the rig to the campground and set it up.I could sprain a ankle, get sick or whatever and if the wife can't handle the rig you are out of luck. She should know how to handle the rig if for no other than safety reasons. And ladies..you can handle the rig..Look at the next big ole schools bus that goes by..chances are a lady is driving it. There are many ladies behing the wheel of those 18 wheelers.I was a driver trainer on school busses. They are big, up to 40 feet and heavy, up to 32K. I have had ladies look at that bus and say..I can't drive that big thing...and within two weeks that are flinging it around like a volkswagon..Go for it ladies...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 04:30 PM   #5
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
My wife drives as much as I do and is just as good. She leaves me to park it when we get to campsites but I think it is just so she can blame me for any scrapes I get. We both think it is important that she can set up/take down and drive the rig in case she needs to. Besides, I like to get a chance to watch the world go by.....
snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 04:41 PM   #6
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
adelmoll,

I know I should not do this. My wife says the same thing you said. I can do it if I have to. My comment to her follows: If something happens to me you are going to be very upset, nervous and focused on me you will not have any experience or reflexes to fall back on to drive the rig. Driving a straight line is not a problem until you try to stop and find the stopping distance is too short for all that weight. Driving a straight line is ok until you have to turn a corner and realize the 5th wheel "off track" (the line the trailer tires take) is inside the arch taken by the rear tires of the truck. Especially as you turn the corner tighter. Knowing where to start the turn to keep the trailer tires in your turning lane is experience. I will not get into passing or any other considerations. I know there is training required because I have hit the curb on a turn with just the truck tires as I was getting use to the dually and this is with no trailer.

I am retired military and we are taught to "train as we are going to fight." Driving the truck and trailer is training to build the instinctive reflexes need to react in an emergency. Please do not wait until it is an emergency to learn and drive it. If you think your going to have to move it practice first. It is just like your first drivers license road test. I applauded you if you took it cold turkey with no practice.

My example of reflex action. I drove in Cyprus where they drive on the left side of the road. I made my first U turn just like I did in the states. I turned the wheel to the left and turned around. This was all based on reflex, not common sense. Now here is how I actually accomplished that turn. Since I was in the left lane on a two-lane road I moved to the right and saw on coming headlights. I turned the wheel to the left (reflex) and upon completing the 180-degree turn I saw on coming headlights. Once completing the turn I then moved from the right to the left lane again to get back into the proper lane of travel. So twice I was in the wrong following reaction instincts only. Currently I am in Australia and yes once while here I pulled into the wrong lane and once in the states. It is a strange feeling looking at a pickup truck and car in your lane and then realizing it is not your lane. Both times I was distracted or too relaxed to think about what I was doing.

One last time, anyone who plans on driving their rig in an emergency please practice first for you safety most of all as well as everyone else. Now I am talking about moving it at a safe highway speed down the road. To me the speed limit is the minimum safe highway speed but that is another no-win topic.

If I am incapacitated someone else will have to move the rig I do not believe my wife could do it in an Emergency involving me.

Good luck and tow safe.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 04:45 PM   #7
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
I also drive our rig as much or more than hubby and have since we got it back in '03, all roads and towns. I still leave the backing into campsites to hubby, love the pull throughs though (LOL) - I have practiced in vacant lots but not enough to be comfortable doing it. I can setup and break down, you just don't know when it will be necessary to do so.

Safe travels.
Lorraine
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 04:54 PM   #8
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
This thread is right up my alley. I told Paul that I have pulled trailers ever since I was 16 years old. I use to take the trailer down to the beach and set it up so that when my parents got off work they could just drive down and everything done. In fact I have driven to Montana and all the way home this last trip. Pauls back hurt so I drove. My back hurts also but the driving didn't bother me. I just put it on cruise control and away we go. He said that he was really impressed. I pull it into the sites also. Backing up is also one of my specialities but I haven't had a chance to show him yet. I would forget it is back there except we have that level right in the center of the cap and when I look in the real view mirror I can see it. It isn't hard. You have to remember wide turns, don't get it to close to the gas pumps and relax. Try it you'll like it........ Kathi
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 04:56 PM   #9
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Oh I forget to say, I even pull it in town. Just remember you are BIGGER then they are!!!!! LOL
Old 10-08-2005, 05:05 PM   #10
mike johnson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3382
this is a great post,with our first 5er my wife did not drive that much,but now i would not have it any other way.amy probably put's as many miles as i do,but leaves the long grade's and parking for me.i think it's sometimes a safety issue also.it keeps us both fresh,once again great post. good luck and semper-fi
mike johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 06:07 PM   #11
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
Well, this topic is right up my alley! Thanks, rogersuemegan, for posting it.

I drive my own rig, since my husband left this life a few years ago, and I decided life goes on and I was going to pursue my dream without him. I didn't have much experience backing when I started out, but I quickly learned through trial and error. I've been on the road full-time for almost 3 years. Over 50K miles driven and 39 states visited so far. Driving, turning and backing have all become second nature to me because I do these tasks and practice them often.

Women, I heartily recommend you get some experience driving the rig before an emergency happens. I know you don't want to think about it, but what if your husband/partner suddenly becomes ill and there's nowhere but a narrow shoulder on a busy highway to pull off? Are you going to wait there several hours for emergency service or family to reach you? If you can drive, you could get the rig to a safe spot - the next rest area or town - at a minimum. And you might be able to get your man the medical attention he needs sooner, which could save his life.

The time to get the experience is NOT when there's an emergency, but well in advance, so that you will feel confident in taking the wheel and driving down the road to a safe place. You owe your loving partner at least this capability, at a minimum. If you don't experience it, you can have a fear that will paralyze you. If you practice it, your fear will vanish.

Men, you owe your wife/partner the opportunity to learn this minimal skill - don't be macho about this! Your life may depend on her ability to get you out of a tight spot. Parking on a shoulder is dangerous and you could both lose your lives if some idiot hits you.

Remember, women - you can do anything you want to do. It doesn't take testosterone to drive a truck and pull a 5th wheel - just the will to do it and a determination to learn. Maybe your husband/ partner isn't the best teacher for you - there are excellent RV driving schools, such as the one from Dick Reed, a wonderful person I know personally, who offers superb individual training in your own rig - go to www.rvschool.com/. I wish I had known about his school when I first started out, but I learned by the seat of my pants!

I'm happy to reply to personal email messages on this topic. It's so important that *every* woman be able to drive her own rig. If you can't, I'll pray for you.

P.S. I have a pin that says "Uppity Women Drive Their Own Rigs" - Several of my friends have them also, and we've decided we need to form a support group for women who drive their rigs. What do you think? Want to join the group?
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 06:13 PM   #12
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
I do it all...drive city, freeway, mountains or construction zones. Can back it up, unhook, do all the set-up, or dump the tanks. It's not hard, just tell yourself you can do it....and *Viola!*..... you can.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 06:16 PM   #13
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Bob and I trade off..every 2 hours. He usually ends up doing 2 stretches and I do one. But you really need to keep doing it to have the experience. Yes there have been anxious filled times (in big cities), but I made it through. Turning corners and braking are the things you need to learn and get experience at. But it can be done and it isn't that hard.
Myrna
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 07:49 AM   #14
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Glad to see that this topic which was first introduced just after we joined the group has come up again. We could not agree more with the responses about the absolute necessity for both members of the couple to be competent in all aspects of Montana operation. Pat drives whenever needed--and yes the Monty is huge looming back there--but you can do it if you put your mind to it and practice before you get out in trafffic (empty parking lots are quite useful and first road experience when traffic is light). We learned when living in the UK (where they drive on the opposite side of the road) that you can drive anything anywhere--as long as you decide that you WILL do it and take the time to practice in non-stressful situations. Pat's UK driving test (1 hr. plus long) was given in a stick shift car which she had never driven--they do not allow you to use your own vehicle. To the examiner's astonishment she passed with not a single black mark. When we got the MOnty she applied herself in the same way. Gypsy--thanks for your great comments! We hope that the women reading your message will take your words to heart. Pat would probably love one of your pins. Safe travels to ALL.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 08:17 AM   #15
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Gypsy, I want to join and I need that pin. How much and where can I get one. Kathi
Old 10-09-2005, 09:37 AM   #16
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
Pat, Kathi, and anyone else interested:

The "Uppity Women" pin came from Too Crazy Ladies, contact info:
The TOO CRAZY LADIES
Beth & Red
888-222-7299 505-525-0141
web site: www.toocrazyladies.com
email: toocrazyladies@pocketmail.com

The pins are $1 each or 6 for $5. If you want to save postage, which might cost more than the pin, you can find Beth & Red in Quartzsite beginning mid-Dec thru Feb 2006. They also attend both the Spring and Fall Escapades, other RV gatherings and lots of dog shows. Go to their web site and click "Schedule" under "Too Crazy Ladies."

They also do all kinds of very nice badges, so we might think about authorizing them to use the MOC logo and we could get permanent badges for our rallies. (I'm thinking I should post this idea somewhere else...)
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 09:43 AM   #17
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
The first time my wife drove our rig was coming back to Philly from Ohio.I was getting tired and asked if she would feel ok driving.She said yes.As it turned out 1/2 hour into her drive we hit construction barriers for about 5 miles.It would have been a white knuckle drive for me but my wife did great.I was so proud of her.So I have no reservations on letting her get behind the wheel.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 10:32 AM   #18
Wagonmaster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3754
Thanks for a chance to let me have my say. He lets me tow on the four lanes but not in town. Now that he sees how many women tow everywhere maybe I will have a better chance.. thanks Janet
Wagonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 12:19 PM   #19
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
Although I don't like too admit it, Ginny drives better ans SAFER than I do. She also has backed in, unhooked, hooked up, every thing.
We got an instructor from a local CDL school to give us a couple hours of tutoring when we first bought the rig for a nominal $500 for both.
Ginny says it is eaier to back around a corner than straight. I can't figure that one out.
RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 01:20 PM   #20
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
I can and do drive, back up, set up, dump and take down. We take 2 hour shifts on the driving and sometimes switch inside/outside jobs to keep us familiar with each.

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote