Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2005, 06:05 PM   #1
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
HELP Can't Get DirecWay Dish Together

When we left Northern Calif. we took our DirecWay dish apart and that was 6 weeks ago and now we can't remember how to put it together. Can any one help. We need to know how to get the dish on the bracket that hooks onto the pole. These Sr. moments are really bad but we also have had so much to deal with since we came home it is no wonder. DirecWay is no help as they tell us it can only be uninstalled and installed by THEIR people. we paid a lot of money for this system and my Irish is up tonight. Please help, send pictures, etc.
Happy trails..............

Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 06:10 PM   #2
Montana_2005
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2005
Nice racket Direcway has going......
I would certainly help if I could... I get annoyed by businesses who give you the biz as well. However, I have not a clue. There is a thread in here about wireless internet use where in some of the guys talk about using direcway to hook up to the internet. Maybe some of them could have an idea... if you found the member names and sent them a private email.
Montana_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 08:19 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Hello Sue and Ed,
I know all about CRS! You do know that DirecWay does NOT support mobile units. They never have. Individual vendors are the ones that will provide some support. Where did you buy your unit?

I'm not sure what problem you're having but the setup is pretty straight forward. Get the tripod set up then put on the bracket (if you have one) Then put on the dish. Next put the LNB thru the hole on the bottom of the dish and secure it. Make sure you run the short connecting coax cables from the LNB to the grounding block. Of if you don't have a grounding block then just connect to the coax directly.... the cables that run into the house.

If you'd like a good idea of how to do this with pictures...he has an excellent manual.... go to dustyfoot.com. Then look for the section on how to set up. If not exactly like your system it should be close enough to get you going again.

Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 05:57 AM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Thanks Dennis. Our problem is we have the bracket and can get it on the pole we put in our back yard. (That is the way ours was installed originally.) We can't figure out how to get the dish on the bracket. We have this round piece of metal with 2 round disks with four bolts. There is a round opening at the back of the dish. But we can't remember how that went together. We should have taken pictures. We have the grounding connection and I have all the cables marked. We bought ours at the Direcway web site (Hughes Network). And yes I know they don't support mobile. I didn't realize there was other vendors when we bought. It really irks me that we spent this kind of money for something that we can't do ourselves. I would not have bought it had I known we would have this much trouble. We want to be able to take the unit with us on long trips.
Thanks again for your help.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:02 AM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Hello Sue and Ed,
If you haven't already downloaded the manual from Dustyfoot then that would be where I'd start. Great pics and really good instructions on EVERYTHING regarding getting the thing up and running.

Our dish has on the back a metal plate that allows the dish to be rotated so as to get the skew correct. It stays mounted on the dish at all times. It has a large sleve on the very back of it that simply slips over the round bracket pipe that is attached to the tripod. Once you have the bracket and the dish hooked together then you can get the correct compass heading by simply turning the whole assembly. Once we have things pretty well lined up we then tighten the bolts down and do the fine tuning. All in all a pretty easy and straight forward process. Do you have the pointing program? This is a little utility program that really makes it easy to get your correct settings.... name is point4020.exe or something very similar.

I think I picked up the utility thing from Datastorm.com. I think you are familar with that site already.

If you can load up that cart you can set up the dish! It is just a little too heavy for one person so both of us help and that makes it really easy. We also have the TV part of it bolted on and that is really nice. By all means plan on taking it with you. Once you've done it a couple of times you'll have no trouble.

Good luck.

Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 08:51 AM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Dennis
Thanks so much for your help. I did download the manual and the utility software. The manual helped a lot even though the set up is different. I think we are close. It is still hot here (like Bakersfield) so we only work out there in the evenings. We made the mistake of wanting to put the dish back in the original box and so took off all the brackets in the back of the dish. BIG MISTAKA (a Jimmy Buffett saying). I'll let you know if we get on without calling for a professional.