Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2005, 02:56 PM   #1
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
HINGES AND DOOR HANDLES

I have put off posting this until I was sure what was going on.This first started on the water closet door with the hinges and the TP holder turning black, I have now replaced the TP holder with a nice oak one. Now it is the door handle and after checking the other door hinges on the cabinets they are starting to turn also. So I can for see new ones in the future. The handles on the cabinets that are opened the most are starting to lose the gold color and underneath it is sliver colored.It will be do the worst ones first because there are so many of them. More $$$$$'s

prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 03:07 PM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
My toilet roll holder is also starting to turn, the bath room and kitchen faucet did so within 12 months.

The handles are not quality, I knew that before we even purchased Montana. Had the same situation on prior TT. I fully expect that the ones in Montana will have to be changed out at some point, but, I can tell you it will be an upgrade, not a OEM replacement. Will look at Lowes or someplace for something else. Will only go to OEM if I cannot find something at Lowes, etc. And I will hold out as long as I can! Costs a lot to replace 50 plus of them babies! OUCH!

Linda, where did you get your oak toilet paper holder??? Can you post a photo??

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 04:28 PM   #3
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Carol, You are right it will a upgrade, I got this at WalMart.

Old 05-28-2005, 05:02 PM   #4
Montana_738
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #738
Hi prairiepoddle,

What are you using to treat your toilet with? It sounds like you are using something with lot's of chlorine in it. If you are using a chlorinated product the fumes from that would cause corrosion. I have a 2001 and have no signs of rust or corrosion on hinges or anything else. If your not adding something with chlorine perhaps where you fill your fresh water tank is adding a large amount of chlorine to their system. I think legally a municipal water treatment company can add as much as 10 ppm of chlorine to their potable water, thats a lot, 2 to 3 ppm is plenty. Some campgrounds with wells will add chlorine also, and if the person adding this is not experienced could accidently exceed the legal 10 ppm.
You can remove the chlorine from your drinking water with a charcoal filter at your kitchen faucet which I recommend, or perhaps use a charcoal filter where it enters the RV. This is just a thought I can't imagine what else would cause this problem.

I hope this helps.

Bill
Montana_738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 05:18 PM   #5
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450

Bill, Thank you for your input but I also had this problem with my Teton and it was because of the cheap hardware that they use. I use Exodor Porta-pak that I get at camping world for my black tank. Yes it is a good idea to use a water filter the one I have on my faucet is a Pur and I just love it.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by accuprep

Hi prairiepoddle,

What are you using to treat your toilet with? It sounds like you are using something with lot's of chlorine in it. If you are using a chlorinated product the fumes from that would cause corrosion. I have a 2001 and have no signs of rust or corrosion on hinges or anything else. If your not adding something with chlorine perhaps where you fill your fresh water tank is adding a large amount of chlorine to their system. I think legally a municipal water treatment company can add as much as 10 ppm of chlorine to their potable water, thats a lot, 2 to 3 ppm is plenty. Some campgrounds with wells will add chlorine also, and if the person adding this is not experienced could accidently exceed the legal 10 ppm.
You can remove the chlorine from your drinking water with a charcoal filter at your kitchen faucet which I recommend, or perhaps use a charcoal filter where it enters the RV. This is just a thought I can't imagine what else would cause this problem.

I hope this helps.

Bill
Old 05-28-2005, 05:49 PM   #6
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I have noticed that the face frams on the cabinets have that new type construction where they drill two holes and screw it together insted of dowls, when they do this the screws for the hinges where they conect to the face frame dont have enugh wood to hold the screw properly then it loosens and the cabinet doors start to rub at the top. I am in the process of making a backing plate and put some 6/32 X 1 1/4" phillips flat head machine screws and put nuts with lock washers on the inside they wont come loose again for me.