Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2014, 03:22 PM   #1
Eskimo
Established Member

M.O.C. #15804
High Country Hide-a-bed mattress

Well we went for our pre-delivery orientation on Friday for our new High Country 318RE. While we love our new unit we can't believe this one got past us. While spending the summer looking at dozens of FW's, we never did look at the mattress in the hide-a-bed in our new unit. Our Montana came with the red leather-ish Lane brand furniture (two recliner rockers and the loveseat size hide-a-bed)

Two things struck us. First the size of the tiny mattress. I don't think it's quite 6 feet long. It's only about 4 inches thick, but I do realize it has to tuck up inside of the sofa unit when folded up.

The second was the fact the main sofa sits on the slide, but no allowance has been made to lengthen the legs of the bed so that the mattress actually lays flat. (Because the slide is raised from the main floor of the coach) Unfortunately in our case, the sofa was designed for a flat floor and the 318's slides do not drop flush. Looks like we'll have to block up the bed or perhaps I can drill in some adjustable "feet" to the leg assembly.

Has anyone replaced their spring type mattresses in their hide-a-beds with something different? I've heard some folks have added a memory foam topper or replaced it entirely with an air mattress.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Eskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:58 AM   #2
Neil.M
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12816
You're right, the mattress sucks big time. I cut some wood blocks to level up the bed and also use them to keep the sofa from rocking when some one sets on it. Not the greatest design. According to my daughter, it's o.k. to sleep on the mattress that comes with the couch,if only one person is on it.
Neil.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:49 PM   #3
Phil805
Established Member

M.O.C. #11888
Wow, we have the same problem with our 2011 High Country. I did same as Neil, cut some blocks for to put under back legs.
Phil805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 03:28 AM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
We have a 2011 HC. It came with an air bed hide away. We bought a Rowe furniture hide away. Not that it's any better than the Lane. I didn't worry about the end being an inch lower than the head of the bed. I did put a 2 inch foam toper on it. My nephew 6 foot 5, 240 pounds said it slept good for the 3 weeks he slept on it.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:35 PM   #5
Eskimo
Established Member

M.O.C. #15804
This is an old post of mine, but I've found a partial solution to the poorly designed hide a bed sofa. For starters I'm going to install either rubber or silicone wheel casters under the legs that are about 3 inches in the air (on account of the slide-out. Because of this, the sofa actually popped the screws securing it to the outside wall. With regards to the legs on the bed being too short, we've tried using small wood pieces (2x4's) but I may try to lengthen the legs using flat iron. Hopefully the lengthened legs can tuck inside the rest of the frame when folding up the bed. If it doesn't work I may shop for a new sofabed or leave it and bring along a collapsible air mattress and frame for when someone travels with us.
Eskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 05:25 AM   #6
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Ours we are told is not all that bad to sleep on. That being said we have a air mattress
( Coleman 24") that we just bought to use instead of the foldout.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote