Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2004, 10:03 AM   #21
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
Well, after completing my extensive research, taking into account my needs and requirements, I decided to select Verizon as my new wireless telephone carrier. Purchased one of the new "picture phones" and am having fun learning how to use this new toy. Wow, have cell phones progressed by leaps and bounds since my older Nokia. They are so compact, light and perform amazing tasks!

Again, thank you everyone for all your valuable input. It was interesting tracking the chatter on "howardforums" - thanks Countryfolks for bringing this website to my attention.

Next project is to purchase a laptop for Monty, for I can't imagine doing our "snowbirding" thing for many weeks and having no access to the MOC. I just don't know how I will ever survive!!

vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 10:57 AM   #22
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Thunderman, is that the same coverage map as for the standard Cingular service? I saw that gap, too, including the Big Bend National Park area. We spent five weeks in Austin last winter, then Fredericksburg, up to Big Bend NP, Alpine, etc., and had coverage the entire time. I don't recall if it was digital or analog but we had phone service. Didn't have the cable to try it as a modem at that time so can't comment on that but we've used the phone as a modem in Indiana where we were on roaming and it worked fine. We just have the normal service with a Nokia 6340i phone. The laptop sees it as an external modem and dials the phone, etc. Uses our minutes so we do that only on nights and weekends but we don't pay a single nickel for any special data service from Cingular. We do have a dialup ISP (8.99/mo).
Steve, I have the same phone and the coverage is 100% for the state of Texas. The coverage map for the new GSM phone is different, most of the state seems to be covered but not all. No coverage starts near Llano, TX and west to San Angelo, TX. Hopfully their coverage will improve in the near future. A friend has the same phone and he also receved the letter offering a new GSM phone. Have a good day!
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 03:19 PM   #23
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Thunderman. I must have looked at the GSM map because we were just in LLano and traveled on up to Big Bend and other areas in W and NW Texas this past winter and had far better phone service than I expected based on that map.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 03:35 PM   #24
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Thanks, Thunderman. I must have looked at the GSM map because we were just in LLano and traveled on up to Big Bend and other areas in W and NW Texas this past winter and had far better phone service than I expected based on that map.
Steve, in Llano I can use my phone the 6340I, but my son and brother both have A GSM phone and they are unable to use theirs. The phones we have are best for complete coverage in the state...but Cingular said the phones were no longer made. One of the staff in a local store said the on/off button was susceptible to breaking.
Happy Thanksgiving To All!
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 04:18 PM   #25
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We have the same phone, a 6340I. I'm surprised about the on/off breaking given it's hard-to-get-to location. I was not aware they no longer make them. Naturally, a couple of months ago I bought a data cable specific to that phone for $45, incl shipping. I was hoping to have this phone for a long time. Maybe we will. Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 05:01 PM   #26
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
We use T-Mobile as our wireless carrier. We have a family plan that provides four phones. the coverage is not quite as good as Verizon and Cingular (Cingular and AT&T just merged), but has worked pretty well for us.

We also decided to get rid of the land line and use a cell as our "home phone". I had our old home phone number ported to one of our cell phones and I picked up a device called a Cell Socket that allows all your wired home phones to work via a single cell phone. Works great!! Just plug the Cell Socket into a phone jack in the house and all the wired phones connect through the cell phone. We're saving $50.00 or so a month by not having a land line and can still answer a call or originate a call from any phone in the house.

When we go RVing we take the "home phone" and Cell Socket with us and people are amazed that we are sometimes hundreds of miles from home and are answering our home phone. It's funny when they want to make a dinner date and we tell them we're in Virginia or where ever.

Here's a link if any of you are interested in the Cell Socket. They have models from many different cell phones and carriers.

http://www.cellsocket.com/

If you have any questions let me know.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote