Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2013, 05:12 AM   #1
BobBlooms
Established Member

M.O.C. #11900
Thetford Model 42072 Toilet

Woke to a wet bathroom and bedroom floor this morning because my toilet had overflowed. Has one else experienced this? How did you resolve the problem? Have flushed and watched over and over looking for the slightest drip, but nothing happened.

BobBlooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:22 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
First and easiest is make sure nothing was in the way of the flush arm coming all the way back up. The arm has two valves it works. The one in the front opens the trap and the one in the rear lets the water in. Your spring also could be loosing tension. One thing you for sure want to do is go to Lowes or a similar store and buy a moisture detector. They're only about 10 bucks, but they will get you out of bed before any real damage is done. We use two. One next to the toilet and the other next to the washer.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:28 AM   #3
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
You didn't mention if this is a new install or a problem that occurred with an existing toilet.
For what is worth, I had 2 issues when replacing my toilet.

One was the supply line. The plastic supply line was stiff. The replacement toilet used a 90 degree fitting into the toilet so it was difficult to properly thread the fittings while the toilet in was in place. The solution was to cut the supply line on the vertical rise and install the fittings before installing the toilet. Trust me, it's much easier and you can assure yourself of getting things tight. (My first leak ran down the supply pipe to the front of the toilet).
The cut supply line can be repaired one of two ways. 1. Use a plastic shut off valve sold at camping world and many hardware stores. It is some what difficult to get on the pipe. Or 2, use a 1/2 inch sharkbite connector. It slides on in seconds. Found in most hardware stores. I opted for the shark bite connector.

The second issue I had was the closet flange. I had an occasional leak in front of the toilet that seem to appear after flushing for a while. On the new toilet, the height of the flange must be 7/16 so the donut style ring can form a seal between the toilet and the floor. I had forgotten to check the height of the closet flange. My new toilet came with several adaptors. I didn't feel comfortable using one one the top to gain the height. I had just enough play in the existing closet flange to cut one of the adaptors in pieces installing it under the existing flange, then screwing the flange back to the floor.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:53 AM   #4
BobBlooms
Established Member

M.O.C. #11900
brenko this is a factory install in a 2012 BigSky.

DQDick, the mositure meter is a great idea. Going out to buy one. Will order a replacement spring.

Would like to hear from someone who has this model of toilet and experienced the overflow issue.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:31 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
It was early and I forgot. Low water pressure can keep the valve from closing sometimes also.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #6
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BobBlooms

Woke to a wet bathroom and bedroom floor this morning because my toilet had overflowed. Has one else experienced this? How did you resolve the problem? Have flushed and watched over and over looking for the slightest drip, but nothing happened.
BobBlooms,

See my post earlier today under "toilet water does not turn off" as we had the same thing happen. It looks like these toilets do not turn off with lower pressure. I installed a valve at the toilet.

No we can sleep at night and not have to worry about waking to your situation!

Les
Old 01-06-2013, 10:15 AM   #7
BobBlooms
Established Member

M.O.C. #11900
Bigboomer read your thread. Fantastic idea using the smoke alarm as a moisture detector.

DQDick and Bigboomer, the low pressure issue is interesting. I have just read that the ball not closing properly can cause the water to drip. They recommended spraying the ball with silicone for reduced friction.

Someone said that "you would think that Thetford would have done something about this by now." I agree.