Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2017, 02:16 PM   #1
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Satellite TV Hookup

I have a Dish Tailgater with a 211 receiver. My rig has 3 TVs and 2 satellite connections in the convenience center. I initially could not get the satellite system to work on any TV. I used a coax continuity checker and determined that the satellite terminals near all 3 TVs were connected to a single input in the convenience center. I found the two cables from the convenience center and 3 cables going to each of the TVs all connected to a junction box fastened to the ceiling behind the convenience center. There were 2 other cables hooked to the junction box which I assume were part of the air antenna. I used the coax continuities checker to determine which cable went to which TV. I then bypassed the junction box and connected the cables from the convenience center terminals individually to my living room and BR TVs. The outside TV I can hook directly to if needed. My satellite TV now works but have lost my on air TV. Will need to continue troubleshooting.

Anyone else been down this road?

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 03:46 PM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Yes me. I don't bother with the air antenna.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 03:54 PM   #3
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Not a big issue not having it but the 2 systems should be independent.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 04:31 PM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Some of the places I go don't even have radio, forget cell service and over the air TV not a chance so it doesn't matter to me.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:31 PM   #5
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Do the new Montanas come satellite ready or just satellite prep? My last fiver was satellite prep and I could never get it to work. Is rewiring needed or are the satellite connections in the convenience center plug and play?
topjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:51 PM   #6
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
They are plug and play if the builders in Goshen do their job!! Sometimes connections are not done properly, etc.
My 2013 Mountaineer had inputs in the convenience panel for Satellite and Cable. Then behind the TV in the living room were 2 inputs: 1 for cable and 1 Satellite. I haven't explored in the bedroom, but assume there are also 2 connections there too.
Edit: Not sure, but I think there may be a third connection in convenience center for BR Sat.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:32 PM   #7
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
They are plug and play if the builders in Goshen do their job!! Sometimes connections are not done properly, etc.
My 2013 Mountaineer had inputs in the convenience panel for Satellite and Cable. Then behind the TV in the living room were 2 inputs: 1 for cable and 1 Satellite. I haven't explored in the bedroom, but assume there are also 2 connections there too.
Edit: Not sure, but I think there may be a third connection in convenience center for BR Sat.
Thank you. So you would connect the satellite into the respective plug in the convenience center and then change the tv cable to the satellite plug behind it? If so, no brainer. My previous unit required some connection changes that were not clear and after trying everything I could think of I finally finally gave up and ran a flat cable out the window for a direct connection.
topjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 05:23 AM   #8
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
While my satellite connections were sometimes mislabeled, they were at least point to point from the convenience center to the living room and bedroom. The bedroom needed a jumper to loop in the outside TV in the basement. I just put in a direct wire from the convenience center to the basement wall. The only acceptable solution to me was to go with a satellite antenna that has the right number of connections. I first tried the Pathways X2 for 2 TVs. Next I just put up a dish on a tripod and with a splitter in the convenience center I could run 3 different TV just like at home. PM me if you need more details.
jfaberna is offline   Reply With Quote